PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Question

Kevotron
02-13-2014, 11:33 PM
I am setting up a Quarantine system for new arrivals, my question is should I just do hyposalinity or hyposalinity with cupramine ?
some help would be appreciated :)

Reef Pilot
02-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Just hypo is best. Here is a good article.Can't do both at the same time.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish

And more QT reading...
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

Wretch
02-14-2014, 12:13 AM
I am setting up a Quarantine system for new arrivals, my question is should I just do hyposalinity or hyposalinity with cupramine ?

What kind of setup are you using for your quarantine?

Kevotron
02-14-2014, 12:14 AM
just a 10 gallon tank w/ hang on filter/airstone and heater

Wretch
02-14-2014, 12:23 AM

Thanks. Guess I am in the market for a quarantine tank as well. Will have to get something on the weekend.

reef-keeper
02-15-2014, 02:04 PM
What I do is take water from my display tank to use in the quarantine tank. I find it acclimates them faster. Or it makes my feel better in the long run.

Myka
02-15-2014, 02:18 PM

I never use copper medications. If you can get Chloroquine phosphate it covers more diseases than hyposalinity (covering all diseases that copper does), is easy to use, and gentle on the fish. PraziPro is another useful medication for flukes and internal parasites, but it will often cause anorexia, so don't use it unless the fish is already fattened up and eating well.

What species of fish are you intending to quarantine in this tank? A 10-gallon is only suitable for very small fish like Gobies, and hardy fish like Damsels including the smaller species of Clownfish.

Do you have an Ammonia Alert badge and an ammonia detoxifier on hand? Ammonia is a big threat to fish in quarantine even if you plan to use a seeded filter.

michika
02-15-2014, 04:04 PM
As morbid as it is I'd also suggest that you keep some clove oil or vodka on hand in the case you need to do the humane thing.

Wretch
02-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Why is a 10g only good for gobies and damsels? Wouldn't it work for other fish as long a they are small and done one at a time?

Myka
02-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Why is a 10g only good for gobies and damsels? Wouldn't it work for other fish as long a they are small and done one at a time?

I said "small fish like Gobies" and "hardy fish like Damsels". ;)

A 3" Sailfin Tang in a 10-gallon tank compared to a 3" Ocellaris Clownfish all of a sudden size isn't the concern. My point is that a 10-gallon is not suitable for all fish- even if they are small. A 20-gallon or a 40-gallon might be a better choice. For bigger fish like large Angelfish, Butterflyfish, Tangs, etc an even bigger quarantine tank may be needed.

Wretch
02-15-2014, 06:54 PM
I said "small fish like Gobies" and "hardy fish like Damsels". ;)

A 3" Sailfin Tang in a 10-gallon tank compared to a 3" Ocellaris Clownfish all of a sudden size isn't the concern. My point is that a 10-gallon is not suitable for all fish- even if they are small. A 20-gallon or a 40-gallon might be a better choice. For bigger fish like large Angelfish, Butterflyfish, Tangs, etc an even bigger quarantine tank may be needed.

Ah ok. I only asked cause I am setting up a 10g QT as well. My DT is only 54g though so I won't be getting any big angels or any tangs at all. I guess everything would be considered small as long as I don't get full grown fish. Biggest fish I could see being in QT is 1.5"-2" at the most. Want to get small fish so I can see them grow.

Myka
02-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Ah ok. I only asked cause I am setting up a 10g QT as well. My DT is only 54g though.

Yeah, usually the quarantine tank size is in relation to the size of the display.