PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Question

Wretch
02-13-2014, 10:53 PM
So once your cycle has zeroed out ammonia and nitrite and your nitrates are on the low end, should you add ammonia again? or do you just wait another week and you are good to go?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Wait a few more days, test & if still good readings, then you're cycle is complete & you're good to go (slowly adding livestock).

Anthony

Wretch
02-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Wait a few more days, test & if still good readings, then you're cycle is complete & you're good to go (slowly adding livestock).

Anthony
Thanks.

I know J&L runs copper in their tanks. Do people find any issues with their fish? Do people generally quarantine their fish?

Reef Pilot
02-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks.

I know J&L runs copper in their tanks. Do people find any issues with their fish? Do people generally quarantine their fish?
Yes, absolutely QT new fish.

SteveCGY
02-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks.

I never quarantine anything and no problems here

Wretch
02-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Well if I need to quarantine all my fish I went about this all backwards and should have cycled QT first. Hmm. What to do now.

Wretch
02-14-2014, 12:15 AM
How soon after your cycle is completed is it ok to add corals?

And is King Eds the best place for a cheap small tank(20g)?

And would hydroton work in a hang on back filter or just a waste for a QT?

Wretch
02-14-2014, 04:23 AM
Ok. Now that my main tank is just about cycled I am setting up a quarantine tank. Have 10g tank, heater, powerhead, but not sure what power filter would be best Aqua clear or some other brand? wasn't sure if a bio wheel would be better or not.

Aquattro
02-14-2014, 04:58 AM
I never quarantine anything and no problems here

Ya, I never quarantined either. Until I killed $2000 in fish. Then replaced with another $1000 in fish. No problem, other than dead fish and no money left :)

Wretch
02-14-2014, 05:05 AM
Ya, I never quarantined either. Until I killed $2000 in fish. Then replaced with another $1000 in fish. No problem, other than dead fish and no money left :)

Well I don't have the money to waste so I think I am going to go with Marineland Penguin 100 Power Filter and my QT will be ready for water.

Aquattro
02-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Well I don't have the money to waste so I think I am going to go with Marineland Penguin 100 Power Filter and my QT will be ready for water.

That's a good plan :)

Reef Pilot
02-14-2014, 01:24 PM
The important thing, too, with a QT is have it running all the time, with a sponge filter (to hold the nitrogen cycle bacteria), so that it cycled and ready to go. Otherwise, you will have the same issues as with a new tank with ammonia, nitrite, etc., and hurt (maybe kill) your new fish unwittingly.

gregzz4
02-14-2014, 01:34 PM
I use an Aquaclear 50 on my 20g QT and after use I toss the foams and put new ones in the sump to seed them for next time
Then when it's time to QT something, a quick DT WC and the 20g is filled with old tank water

Don't know what you can do with that biowheel or whether or not replacements are cheap enough

Wretch
02-14-2014, 07:14 PM
I am just going to fill the power filter with sponge plus I got a separate sponge and air pump for more filtration and with the bio wheel should hopefully give me enough bio filtration