PDA

View Full Version : Damn u RTN!!!!

jason604
02-11-2014, 04:45 AM
My largest colony RTN half of its center over the course if one day!!! This colony was a wild caught piece that's browned out and was finally starting to color up when this happened. I've been trying to stabilizing my parameters lately because I bought an auto doser. Params are hovering around 330-380cal, trying to raise I 420. KH is 7.3-7.7 trying to get to 8. Mag is currently 1130 trying to get to 1400. I chopped up the colony and reive dip to try to save as much as I can hopefully the RTN piece can recover? I should have clipped off 1 branch that I saw RTN last night instead of waiting to see what happens =(

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b578/kosin604/EC1B9AF2-0EB5-42BC-9CB4-824479F4CEC7_zpssylapb6d.jpg (http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/kosin604/media/EC1B9AF2-0EB5-42BC-9CB4-824479F4CEC7_zpssylapb6d.jpg.html)

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b578/kosin604/030F2306-6AB8-4B8A-BCEB-C98A1788B50C_zps14wu3qx4.jpg (http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/kosin604/media/030F2306-6AB8-4B8A-BCEB-C98A1788B50C_zps14wu3qx4.jpg.html)

Myka
02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Sorry to hear about this trouble. Messing with parameters will do this. You should be testing daily when setting up a new doser. You should also test, add a measured amount of dry suppliment, wait an hour, test again. Do this for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, and potassium (if you dose it). This way you know how much a tbsp (or what have you) will raise each parameter. Then when figuring out your doser you can test, add supplements to bump it up to where it should be, test again to check. Bump the doser up a smidge depending how much supplement you had to add. Test again tomorrow. After awhile you will be testing, dosing, and adjusting the parameters every 2 days, then 4 days, then once a week. Some months down the road you might be able to test once every 2-4 weeks. Test LOTS, and try to keep things stable.

Magickiwi
02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Sorry to hear about this trouble. Messing with parameters will do this. You should be testing daily when setting up a new doser. You should also test, add a measured amount of dry suppliment, wait an hour, test again. Do this for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, and potassium (if you dose it). This way you know how much a tbsp (or what have you) will raise each parameter. Then when figuring out your doser you can test, add supplements to bump it up to where it should be, test again to check. Bump the doser up a smidge depending how much supplement you had to add. Test again tomorrow. After awhile you will be testing, dosing, and adjusting the parameters every 2 days, then 4 days, then once a week. Some months down the road you might be able to test once every 2-4 weeks. Test LOTS, and try to keep things stable.

I have a fuzzy millepora that 90% of the colony is as furry as a chipmunk tail but there are a couple branches that have very slowly turned green like this. I'm dosing NO3:POx4 (Red Sea) and even though the part of the colony that is green still has polyps they don't typically extend very far. Is it the same situation as this fellow? My alk has stayed between 180ppm-220ppm for months and this greening started before I started dosing POx4.

jason604
02-11-2014, 10:27 PM

Yea I did notice when I started to raise my alk/cal I had to pour it all at once but as slow as I can since I didn't har a doser set up at that time and I did notice my sps losing color. It's steady 16x a day now cal in daytime and alk night time and I do test param 1-2hr after or the next day. I still do pour mag by hand tho around 3-4 tea spoon of seachems mag buffer daily. Mybe I should raise mag less often?

jason604
02-13-2014, 05:00 AM
all turned light greenish rtn style except the smaller of the 1/3 of the colony survived =( a few small frag clipping i took off the colony turned fully bleached white... will this recover in low light or a toss out?

hfp75
02-13-2014, 06:59 AM
The white is 50/50 wait n see...