PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone! i'm new here *tank pic*

jess128
07-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone! I just registered here and I thought I'd give myself a bit of an introduction. My name is Jess and I'm 16 years old. I've been keeping FW tanks for about 6 years and have been researching reef aquariums for about 6 months. I currently do not have any fish, my last fish were 2 red bellied pacus which died a few months ago. I'm working starting a 65 gallon reef. At the moment I have the tank on an oak stand (well, fake oak) and it's full of RO water and has an SG of 1.024. I currently have:
2 powerheads
1 tronic heater
1 Fluval 204
60lbs agagonite
Coralife PC lighting: 4-65W, 2 actinic and 2 10000K
I will be making my own skimmer soon and will buy 1 more powerhead. I'm looking for some live rock at the moment. I'm thinking of ordering some Fiji from J&L Aquatics, but I'd like something cheaper. I'm on a very tight budget. I'm thinking about buying some base rock first and then adding LR. I have been a member of Reef Central for a few months and have learned a great deal there, and I'm very excited about finally being able to talk to some people who live in the same city as me!
Here's a recent picture of my tank (it's a bit boring right now, I know...) sorry it's so dark, the flash on my camera wasn't working.
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jul/20047252461677563989465.jpg

Beverly
07-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Welcome, Jesse :smile:

Richer
07-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the board :mrgreen:

If you're patient enough, keep an eye out on the buy/sell/trade section. There is usually someone around who needs to sell off some LR and whatnot... its how I got all of my LR and some of my equipement in my 30 gallon and it saved me a bundle.

-Richer

trilinearmipmap
07-25-2004, 10:29 PM
It's good to research ahead the way you have been doing, I'm sure you will do OK.

Stretch
07-25-2004, 11:01 PM
We have too many jesse's now :razz:

Anyways good luck with your tank, don't rush things. And keep up with the research.

Quinn (teevee) may still have some live rock left from his tank. Maybe he'll find this thread.

jess128
07-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Richer, I've been searching the buy/sell/trade board, not much luck yet. I did PM someone who was selling off everything but someone has already taken the LR. I'll keep my eyes open though. Stretch, thanks for letting me know about Quinn, maybe I'll PM him and see if he still have some rock. Thanks again guys!

littleboyblue16
07-28-2004, 04:17 AM
Welcome to the Board Jesse, nice take you have going there...

(wishes for a bigger tank soon)

Matt

mr_alberta
07-28-2004, 04:41 AM
Gahh! This board is being overrun by young'ns! :mrgreen:

Welcome to the board!

bulletsworld
07-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Welcome aboard Jesse!

Hey, love your Avater, nice Ocra pic! Ahhh, my favorite creature!

jess128
07-29-2004, 04:55 PM
newguy, who else on here is really young? I was afraid I might be the only one...
bulletsworld, the ocra on my avator is actually Keiko (free willy, I'm sure you all knew that.)

Quinn
07-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Ocra? Both of you? http://www.iespell.com :razz:

muck
07-29-2004, 05:20 PM
:rofl: what quinn said...

Beverly
07-29-2004, 08:14 PM
qUinn may be turning into another boB :eek:

Quinn
07-29-2004, 08:21 PM
All in the name of efficient communication! Definitely spelt definately is one thing (right Bob?), but for a second I was trying to think what an ocra was, because the avatar hadn't loaded yet. :lol:

Beverly
07-29-2004, 08:26 PM
qUinn,

Haven't heard from boB for awhile. Have you noticed that too, or am I imagining things? Do you think he's on vacation?

Quinn
07-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Oh I am in regular contact with Bob, in fact I'm meeting him this weekend to pick up a new tank for my turtle! But yes, I believe he is spending less time indoors and more time in the sun this summer.

littleboyblue16
07-29-2004, 10:21 PM
i am the other youngin here :P 17 :)

Skimmerking
07-30-2004, 02:22 AM
DONT FORGet that BOB'S B-day is today
so he's out dancing up a storm as we speak..

with his oxygen tanks with him .

mike :lol:

Beverly
07-30-2004, 02:35 AM
So what we've got here is the "young and the restless" and the "old with the oxygen tanks" :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

p.s. I'm waaaaaay closer to boB's age than the ages of those young'ns :eek:

Bob I
07-30-2004, 02:49 AM
I am on vacation, but I am here, and despairing of all the spelling errors. However, I am not allowed to say anything. I did, however, see the Ocra, and if it were spelled with a K, it would be something eaten in the Southern USA. :razz: :rolleyes:

Oh and thanks Mike for knowing it is my birthday (#64) :eek:

muck
07-30-2004, 03:43 AM
:bday: Bob!

-edit (Should have posted in other thread in the lounge... :mrgreen: )

PrairieReefer
07-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Welcome!

And a little tip. The best tank pics you can get are done at night with the flash off and all your tank lights on. If you have a flash or some external light, many times you get a reflection off the glass.

Beverly
07-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Oh and thanks Mike for knowing it is my birthday (#64) :eek:

Do not despair of the number of your birthday. Remember, the Beatles have a song about it on their Yellow Submarine album:

When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a Valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'till quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

Hmm------mmm---mmmh.
You'll be older, too.Aaah, and if you say the word, I could stay with you.

I could be handy, mending a fuse, when your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside, sunday mornings, go for a ride.
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wightif it's
not to dear. We shall scrimp and save.
Ah, grandchildren on your knee, Vera, Chuck, and Dave.

Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely wasting away.
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty four?

by John Lennon/Paul McCartney

And we still need you :smile: