PDA

View Full Version : anenome size before it splits?

SpeedFactor
02-10-2014, 05:04 AM
At what size does a nem need to grow to before it splits? What does the split depend on? I have seen small nems that split, but have seen big nems that don't split.

Coralgurl
02-10-2014, 05:10 AM
My big nem is about a foot big when expanded, my little nem split at about 4 inches. No clue why.....

hfp75
02-10-2014, 05:13 AM
Water quality changes...

chi
02-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Ya. Stress induced splitting. You can just cut it to manually split it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SpeedFactor
02-10-2014, 10:24 PM
cutting sounds scary I don't think I would want to cut. im ok if it doesn't split. Just interested to learn how it happens

LoJack
02-10-2014, 10:39 PM
cutting sounds scary I don't think I would want to cut. im ok if it doesn't split. Just interested to learn how it happens

Stress and the desire to survive. My RBTA split when I dosed an ich medication to my quarantine tank just recently. When it feels threatened, it multiplies to increase the odds of survival.

KPG007
02-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Ya. Stress induced splitting.

...or relief from stress. I had a problem with hair algae and tried different things to get rid of it. When I was finally done, I did a big water change and it split twice within a month.

Currently he's as big as a dinner plate. It's been a while since it split, and I have no idea when it might. I have heard feeding it a lot will cause it to split faster.

gregzz4
02-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Different species of 'nems split at different sizes/rates/times, so keep that in mind and research the one you are thinking of

I have a RBTA that will split every couple months if I feed it monthly. It splits when it's still small - closer to 1-1/2" - 2"
I stopped feeding it when I grew tired of trying to sell the new bodies and the 2 critters I have in my tank (since Sept/Oct) are maybe 2-1/2" and 4" diameter, with no signs of splitting yet

pinkreef
02-11-2014, 03:07 PM
That explains why my two clones each split at the same time:idea: