PDA

View Full Version : It's probably a good idea to keep extra lights on hand these days...

MitchM
02-09-2014, 10:29 PM
I have 2 - 4 foot ATI hybrid units over my tank and it looks like one will be going back for warranty.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=855&pictureid=6260

One of the LED unit reflectors has burned up and the 2 back bulbs will no longer light up. They just flicker. The LED's themselves still work fine.
I sent an email off to ATI and am waiting to hear back.
I'll resurrect one of my old 400W MH in it's place while it's gone.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=855&pictureid=6532

brotherd
02-10-2014, 12:41 AM
For the price of those lights, that is a serious problem. I hope they resolve this promptly.

BlueTang<3
02-10-2014, 12:50 AM
I was just talking with a friend who was pondering selling his old halides I said keep me for spares then I read this, I kept me vertex 2 foot fixture for a spare just in case. That is one advantage of having modules/ smaller fixtures with led not such a hit if one goes down

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-10-2014, 01:22 AM
I have 2 LED units (60w Crees and 70w Crees) that I'm keeping as my backups.

MitchM
02-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I ran into the same kind of issue a couple of years ago with my Profilux.
The main control module fizzled out.
I tried to buy just a replacement control module, but they're only sold in kits. I was without control for my water flow, dosing, heating and water top off for 5 weeks.
I still need to get an extra control module just in case it goes down again.

wayner
02-10-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm sure you checked this, but were all the fans working properly? as you know, the fan above the LED module is thermo controlled and if it wasn't coming on after the LED's hit a certain temp, might have had something to do with it, just speculating.

I'm sure ATI will take of you, Good luck, now you've given me something else to check on a daily basis. :biggrin:

Rice Reef
02-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your hybrid. Hope it all works out with the warranty. I have my sight set for the hybrids as well and hope this is not a common issue. Keeping the old lights as a back up is a great idea as well.

MitchM
02-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks.

Wayner, the fans are working, checked that.
I'm not sure when the LED reflectors burned up. The T-5's stopped working a few weeks ago, but I wasn't able to try to replace them until this past weekend. I don't know if the two problems are related.

I dealt with ATI a few months ago on another issue, and they were great.

One mistake I made was throwing away the boxes for the lights. One way or another they'll have to go back for repair, so I'll have to find some other packing material. I was going to try ULINE in Calgary.

I bought a 72" Solaris way back when, and I still have that packing material - of course they never needed to back for repair, lol.

MitchM
02-20-2014, 10:47 PM
ATI is going to be sending me out a replacement metal LED reflector and ballast.