PDA

View Full Version : FUGE FLOW

Azilla
07-25-2004, 07:09 AM
:neutral: I have had my fuge hooked up for a while. just curious is there suppose to be a pump in it?? cuz i only have the fuge trickling into my tank really slow so almost no flow

christyf5
07-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Well it shouldn't be sitting almost stagnant I wouldn't think, but it is supposed to be a sort of "calmer" area for pods and the like to proliferate. I would put a low flow powerhead in there just for circulation, you don't want any dead areas in there.

Christy :)

Azilla
07-25-2004, 07:51 AM
hmmm ok i guess i was mislead then i thought fuge was suppose to trickle into your main tank. meaning not much flow. I have cheato in my fuge and some Stupid chunks of live rock i didnt like in my main tank. about 30 pounds of sand

christyf5
07-25-2004, 06:29 PM
No no you're right about that, it should just trickle into your tank, you don't want to be sending a ton of flow through there to disrupt everything. I'm just saying that if you're worried about it you can stick a small powerhead in there for circulation, something like a maxijet 400 or something :biggrin:

Christy :)

Aquattro
07-25-2004, 07:22 PM
I did run a minijet pump for additional circ in my fuge.

vjvl51
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
When I set up my gravity feed refuge (mainly for pod production for the mandarin), I used a MaxiJet 600 to pump the water into the refuge. I added some macro algae (racemosa) and lights. Soon, I had LOTS of red slime covering everything. I added a powerhead in the refuge to help keep the water circulating. Now there is a lot less slime algae. From what I have read, it is best for racemosa and chaeto to have enough flow to slowly tumble so all sides of hte algae mass get some light.

This summer we plan on redrilling the refuge to add a second bulkhead or a larger bulkhead to increase the flow.

Just my experience.

Vickie

Stirfry
07-27-2004, 02:26 AM
i have a 80 gal acrilic tank with a 8 gal acrilic fuge on top of my 40 gal acrilic sump and i have a sump pump to pump up into my 80 gal tank and splits into the fuge and all i have a 1/2 inch overflow on it and i have the pump set so that it barly flows' out and it has been the best thing my 80 gal tank has a major problem with hair algea and in about 4 monthes it is almost gone.. if u have anyquestions please pm me and i will help