PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Chocolate chip Star!!

FishGeek
09-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Well I woke up this morning to find my Choco Chip star resting on top of my mushrooms. He's doen this before with out a problem but this time he was actually eating the mushrooms! I think this explains why my mushroom colonies weren't spreading! I've had this guy for almost a year and he's never hurt a coral before. Aleast I don't think he did. Anybody out there have a mushroom problem? I'll gladly trade him for an acropora mother colony!!!!! smile.gif Just kidding!!!! But if anybody would like to trade for him. I'm open to offers.

Simon

Troy F
09-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Hi, it's a known fact the the star you have prey on cnidarians. They definately aren't reef safe.

Delphinus
09-20-2002, 03:12 PM
Ha, I've always been tempted to get a chocolote chip star so I COULD get rid of some of my more mushroom infested rock. When a rock gets too covered, throw it into the choco stars tank, and voila, a nicely cleaned rock ready to go back into the display reef.

Nothing kills those dang mushrooms! Nothing!!!! My only hope is something that eats them.

I wish I had taken a picture of my hydnophora doing a number on a neighbouring mushroom. The mushroom was entirely coated with stinger strands. It looked like a spider barfed a huge spiderweb over the mushroom. The mushroom has not expanded back now for a week (although it is not dead, of course). That is probably the most effective attack on a mushroom I've ever seen.

I've tried injecting with "Stop Aiptasia," ("burp! That's a SPICEY meatball" said the mushrooms), injecting with kalk ("did somebody feel something??"), injecting with boiling water ("ha ha, you think THAT will stop us, puny human?!") ... scrape, scrape, scrape the rock (just when you think you have it clean .... 12 new mushrooms emerge from where there was one before).

The nightmare never ends!

It's either the chocolate chip star trick for me, or, I give away all my rock from my 50g when I take it down later this year. Too expensive to be replacing all my rock like that. :(

Aquattro
09-20-2002, 03:30 PM
Tony, let us know if that works. I have relatives of your mushrooms in my tank. Maybe I'll drop the hydnophora on them.
I once had a large acro frag fall into a cluster of red shrooms....melted in minutes. I'd also like something that eats xenia and green star polyps!!