PDA

View Full Version : New setup. Any idea's?

Zerandise
07-25-2004, 03:23 AM
Am getting ready to move my 55 into a 140 :razz:

Want to run the parts by the pros and get some tips in what i could do better.

Tank is a acrylic 140g that is 60x18x30. It is drilled with the overflow in the middle with 2 1 inch bulkheads (durso will be added soon) 1 bulk head is for over flow the second for return. 10 Gallon Auto topoff.

A 48 gallon sump with a Beckett Skimmer maid by Oceanaquatics.com. These boys have been a HUGE help!!!!

Lighting:
4x 110 actinic VHO's on an Icecap 660
2x 275w 10k MH
1x 175w 10k MH
In hood as well is 2x 120mm fan for cooling.

Pumps:
Return: quiet one - 800 GPH
Skimmer: Tiny Might - 1200 GPH
Closed Loop: Dolphin Ampmaster 3000 - 3000GPH at 5 foot head / 1 out and 4 returns

Rock:
100lbs of Mature Fiji in nice shapes and tons of life
50 lbs of Walt Smith. needs a week or two of curing to do still.
3 inch sand bed. 3/4 live sugar sand 1/4 new.

reefhawk
07-25-2004, 04:36 AM
hey i thought you were the expert here! Wow - wicked flow, get them fishies some lead booties. Just kidding couldn't resist

Zerandise
07-25-2004, 04:55 AM
well i figure with 1 out and 4 in that should give me about 600 per return. With any luck any way.

and i dont do fish so no booties needed!!!! :)

Quagmire
07-25-2004, 05:36 AM
Sounds like its going to be a nice set up :smile:
The only problem I see is the 3/4 live sand.
If its real live sand out of someones tank,you will get alot of die-off,because the sand in the middle and at the bottom get smothered( can't think of a better word right now)and have to wait for it to cycle.IMO its better to go with clean sand with about 1/2 inch or less of live sand on top.
If its that store bought live sand in a bag then disregard this post :mrgreen:

Zerandise
07-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Its the sand in the bottom of my 55 right now :)

new sand will be on the bottom old sand will go on top.

Doug
07-25-2004, 01:10 PM
I prefer two overflows in a tank of that size and the flow your going to have. I always use a pair of 1 1/4in. in mine. If this was mine, I would use both bulkheads as overflows and run the return up and over the side.

Looks good otherwise. May have to watch the sand placement with the closed loop current.

steve.bridges
08-03-2004, 02:36 AM
so how do u go about changing tanks. do u set the new one up first, are you gonna use all new water or add the water from your old.

i am getting a new tank in november and it has to go in the same place which means i have to empty the old one first.
id be interested in following your moving process. it scares to me to think about corals spread around the house in tubs while im setting up the tank,

how do you move a 25lb piece of live rock with corals growing on it to a new tank whilst keeping the coral under water :cry: :cry: :cry:

how do you find 45 nassarius snails in a 3" sandbed, OH MY GOD!!!!, its keeping me awake at night :biggrin: