PDA

View Full Version : Discus

DOO-E
07-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Does any one know of any discus breeders in BC, Sask, or Alberta? I have looked on the net already and found some but i want to see if there is anybody local first.

Richer
07-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Since this is primarly a SW forum, I would suggest asking in a primarly FW forum... try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalgaryAquariums/ . That is the main message board for the Calgary Aquarium club.

-Richer

snaggle
07-25-2004, 03:19 AM
my boss old boss dose ( I think) the store I worked at was family pet super center I cant find it on the net right now it is in sherwood park. I hope this helps

trilinearmipmap
07-25-2004, 03:29 AM
The good breeders are in the states, they ship to Canada but it is not economic for a single person to order a few discus from them. If 3 or 4 people in your area wanted discus then a group order from the U.S. would make sense. I suggest looking on www.simplydiscus.com and seeing which breeders are recommended.

DOO-E
07-25-2004, 05:06 AM
Another good site is www.macsdiscus.com he has the biggest selection i have seen but he wants 60 dollars american to ship to calgary.

Canadian Man
07-25-2004, 05:30 AM
Another good site is www.macsdiscus.com he has the biggest selection i have seen but he wants 60 dollars american to ship to calgary.

Well if you want nice fish than that's not that much. :rolleyes:

I thought you were looking at another type of fish just yesterday :confused:

DOO-E
07-25-2004, 05:33 AM
Ypu BLue rams i have me a bunch of 6 already now i am looking for discus to put with the rams. I am having a 120 gallon aquarium built for these fish.

Richer
07-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Here's a good rule of thumb, don't buy fish until the proper tank is sitting on a stand where it belongs, with all the proper equipement running. Things change (in your case, they change almost daily), and in the end, a lot of people end up with fish that they are not ready to take care of... all because that future upgrade never happened, or didn't happen in time.

-Richer

DOO-E
07-25-2004, 04:48 PM
The 120 gallon is going to be my display/ breeder tank. While the 40 will be my grow out tank. So i need to get my discus a quarentine them first thus is why i have the tank cycling right now. My rams are not ready to leave yet still pretty small, but i do have 6 saved.

trilinearmipmap
07-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Slow down.

I researched discus for a year, in the end I decided not to go with discus due to the space required, intensive care required, and prevalence of disease among discus.

I came to much the same conclusion about Rams.

Better to stick with one thing and do it well, if you've got Rams right now I'd suggest raising these. If you can breed your Rams you can sell the offspring to finance your Discus plans.

DOO-E
07-25-2004, 06:31 PM
I have kept discus before for over a year. I am not too worried about it right now.