PDA

View Full Version : Is this cyano?

Simmy
02-06-2014, 12:38 AM
I've noticed an outbreak of this the last few days. Is this cyano and how do I get rid if it???http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/bytune5y.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

apexifd
02-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Yup, that's cyano.

The Grizz
02-06-2014, 04:15 AM
Sure is.....siphon out as much as you can, reduce your feeding and lower your light cycle. Basically you need to check your phoshates and nitrates & reduce them to zero

BTW what are you using for lights?

freeze
02-06-2014, 04:23 AM
To further what Griz said, as if your syphoning you also changing water, so increase your water changes. If it doesn't go away Chemiclean will get rid of it, but if you don't figure out why you had it or fix the problem it will come back. Chemiclean will make your tank look pretty again but not "fix" your problem.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-06-2014, 04:28 AM
The "missing" cleaner shrimp may have added the nutrients to cause this cyano outbreak.

Simmy
02-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Sure is.....siphon out as much as you can, reduce your feeding and lower your light cycle. Basically you need to check your phoshates and nitrates & reduce them to zero

BTW what are you using for lights?
Hi Grizz, I use LEDs for lighting. I'm not sure what the specs on them are. Anthony do you remember?

I scooped out the cyano I could see with a net. I do 20% water changes weekly. I did pickup some corals last week that came from a tank that had cyano in it but he said the rock they were mounted on were clean. Hmmm......

Simmy
02-06-2014, 04:31 PM
To further what Griz said, as if your syphoning you also changing water, so increase your water changes. If it doesn't go away Chemiclean will get rid of it, but if you don't figure out why you had it or fix the problem it will come back. Chemiclean will make your tank look pretty again but not "fix" your problem.

Thanks, using chemicals would be my last resort. I'll keep that in mind if I cannot rid it by doing water changes and physically scoooping it out!

Simmy
02-06-2014, 04:32 PM
The "missing" cleaner shrimp may have added the nutrients to cause this cyano outbreak.
What, you mean my CUC wouldn't have finished him off??? I wonder what happened to that shrimp!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-06-2014, 06:06 PM
The LEDs are 460nm blues, 6500k, 10000k, and 20000k whites. Its not the lights that are the issue.

What probably happened was that even if the CUC ate the cleaner shrimp, it released some nutrients into the water after it died and as extra waste from the CUC. Adding the frags from a tank with cyano probably introduced some of the bacteria/spores into your system which then began consuming the extra nutrients already present in the tank. If you didn't have cyano before, that's probably how it got there now.

Siphoning it off or scooping it up with a fine mesh net, water changes and may adding some Phosban (phosphate remover) should clear it up.

acepumping
02-06-2014, 07:23 PM
CHEMI-CLEAN!!!

acepumping
02-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Just did it on my tank packed with corals and it worked like a charm