PDA

View Full Version : needing help with Phos!

ashr
02-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Hey all

So I have been battling high Phos the last few months and cannot for the life of me get it down...

Right now it is sitting at .22 (Hanna Checker)( API looks like .01-.25)

I try and do a water change of 5-10 gallons every 2 weeks or so. I run RowaPhos and Chemi-pure Elite.

Calc - 500 ( doser was running a bit high)
Mg 1350
Alk - 10

Anyone have any idea how to bring this sucker down? Thanks

straightrazorguy
02-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Phosphates are difficult to bring down without GFO. I battled phosphates for months, and I didn't really make a dent in them until I started running ROWAphos in a reactor.

Jschier
02-05-2014, 05:59 PM
I've heard good things about clearFXpro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ashr
02-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Phosphates are difficult to bring down without GFO. I battled phosphates for months, and I didn't really make a dent in them until I started running ROWAphos in a reactor.

At this time I am running ROWAphos in a TLF 150 reactor and have Chemi-pure elite in my tank as well. They don't seem to be doing it..

ashr
02-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I also picked up some Seachem Phosguard but have not tried it yet..

jordsyke
02-05-2014, 06:11 PM
DO you have lots of flow??, Maybe try power heading your rocks to get any detritus out and into your water stream, then do a large water change, then change your GFO shortly after

Reef Pilot
02-05-2014, 06:15 PM
If you want to get a deep nutrient sink P04 laden tank down quickly, use Foz Down. Then use GFO for normal ongoing maintenance.

ashr
02-05-2014, 07:01 PM
DO you have lots of flow??, Maybe try power heading your rocks to get any detritus out and into your water stream, then do a large water change, then change your GFO shortly after

This could work too. I am going to do a large water change today :)

Thanks for the tip

MitchM
02-06-2014, 12:11 AM
It's one thing to treat the symptoms, another thing to fix the cause.
Knowing more about your set up would help, and a picture would be best.

Sebae again
02-06-2014, 05:41 AM
I wouldn't use the Phosgaurd with SPS

The Guy
02-06-2014, 07:14 AM
It's one thing to treat the symptoms, another thing to fix the cause.
Knowing more about your set up would help, and a picture would be best.
I agree no point in trying to band aid fix a phosphate problem until you know the cause. I had high levels in my 90g and was advised to get rid of some of my sand bed depth as I had 2-3", so I removed a 5g pail and a half of real dirty sand bed and am now at 1" max. The detris build up was causing some of my problems, as well I added another wp25 wavemaker power head to increase the flow in and around the live rock which helps to blow any build up off them.
I have about 100 gallons of water volume between the DT and the sump after taking into account rock displacement. and do 25% RO water changes every 2 weeks. I also run GFO which I plan on changing every 4 weeks, until my level is at an acceptable reading, once it's there I'll check the PO4 level every couple of weeks and when I see the levels climbing I'll know it's time for a GFO change. I was using a color chart PO4 tester but find the Hanna checker is the most accurate for phosphates and use Salifert kits for everything else.
This is what I did for my system and it seems to be working for me so far, hope this helps :smile:

monocus
02-06-2014, 04:55 PM
use precision solutions phosphate solution to bring it down and gfo to keep it stable

TimT
02-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Hi,

The Foz Down will work very well for your system. It is safe for all the inhabitants of your tank and a lot easier to use than GFO or Rowaphos. Once I started using Foz Down I threw the expensive High Capacity GFO and the PITA reactor to the curb. ;-)

Cheers,
Tim