PDA

View Full Version : Filters! PhosBan Reactor 150 vs. BRS Dual Carbon & GFO Reactor

mandyplo
02-04-2014, 03:11 PM
After 2 years in this hobby I'm finally happy with my current filter set-up, and really want to share my frustrating experience with any other newbies that might find it helpful.

I started out with a hang on the back tetra filter, and really wanted to go with a canister in my sump to take as much equipment off the top of my tank as possible.

I had a hard time finding a "go-to" filter that a lot of people recommend, so I had to do a lot of my own research and make a decision I THOUGHT was going to be good for my setup.
I bought the Bulk Reef Supply Dual Carbon and GFO reactor, and I had nothing but troubles with it from day 1. I just don't think its made properly for the job... I mean, its the exact same style filter that we have on our hottub... ? I could never get the GFO to tumble, it always clumped even when I had the valve open full throttle, and I also had the pump that the BRS site recommends to purchase with this canister set up: the maxi-jet 1200.
I called/chatted online with BRS staff multiple times, they even sent me replacement parts at no cost (Which was awesome, and they were very helpful, so definitely a thumbs up to the staff over there, and I still shop there too, not bashing you guys - still love you and your site). But nothing we tried ever seemed to get this unit working properly. I simply think this filter is not cut out for the job. There was nothing my self, or my dad, or friends, or BRS staff could do to get this thing to work properly.

After 2 years of fiddling with this filter and basically deeming it useless and having it disconnected half the time because it would get clogged, a friend in town sold me his PhosBan 150 Reactor by twolittlefishies. I had heard good things about the twolittlefishies brand and was excited to give this thing a try.
Its really the same concept, sort of similar design as the BRS filter, except... IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!
I'm using the same maxi-jet 1200 pump that I had on my BRS canister, the flow and tumbling is perfect and the valve is NOT open all the way, its open about half and even that is almost too much flow for the GFO!
I have GFO and Carbon mixed together in the canister, which the instructions said was O-kay to do for this unit.
I finally have a canister filter that works and I couldn't be happier, so to any newbies out there looking for that easy Go-To filter for your tank, I definitely feel like this one does the trick.

I still feel like I'm downplaying it, I cannot stress the frustration I've had with my old filter, and the relief and excitement I have right now for this new twolittlefishies one.
A +++++++ I couldn't be happier with this filter !

jordsyke
02-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Yea the BRS one is failed from the start since you want GFO to tumble and carbon to stay put, the spectrapure one that is sold on Reefsupplies has seperate inlets so you can adjust each canisters flow. You have carbon and GFO iin one Phosban reactor??? How do you achieve this?

lastlight
02-04-2014, 04:07 PM
any dual setup is not going to perform as well as dedicated canisters. i swear by my brs single stage reactors for both my carbon and gfo. i've previously used the TLF (ok) and the vertex rx (hated it).

reactors def seem like a personal thing tho. one man's hated piece of hardware is another's dream unit.

Madreefer
02-04-2014, 04:57 PM
i've previously used the TLF (ok) and the vertex rx (hated it).

I'm using TLF right now and was going to switch over to the Vertex. I bought one and have'nt hooked it up as i'm looking for another one. Why did'nt you like the Vertex? And thanks, you may save me some time and money:lol:

mandyplo
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
any dual setup is not going to perform as well as dedicated canisters. i swear by my brs single stage reactors for both my carbon and gfo. i've previously used the TLF (ok) and the vertex rx (hated it).

reactors def seem like a personal thing tho. one man's hated piece of hardware is another's dream unit.

I can definitely see how having a dual canister would reduce efficiency of flow, etc. vs. a single reactor.
Definitely happy with my TLF reactor now, unless I change my system completely I can't see myself switching filters now, I've found " the one" :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-04-2014, 06:23 PM
I just hooked up a Vertex & a BRS media reactor in series in my big tank's sump but I'm using Hydroton (biomedia material) as live rock replacement. My sump used to be overfull of live rock but have now sold off 85lbs from the system and still have over 1 lb/gallon (including 60lbs of rubble). The outflow then feeds my Deltec Recirc skimmer. Seems to be working fine.

I use the 2 Little Fishies reactors for GFO/Phosban.

lastlight
02-04-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm using TLF right now and was going to switch over to the Vertex. I bought one and have'nt hooked it up as i'm looking for another one. Why did'nt you like the Vertex? And thanks, you may save me some time and money:lol:

i found unthreading the lid to be really difficult. it would get dirty and seize tight. also it always leaked and thankfully i had plumbed it over my sump. the flow thru the media in my brs reactor is so much better at keeping my gfo gently moving as well. just my 0.02.

when i added my frag tank i used the connection from the vertex reactor to tie into. it's a very expensive union now lol.