PDA

View Full Version : red and yellow gorgonian experience

chef
02-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Have any of you fine reefers kept these gorgs that J and L is selling?
Are they photosynthetic? Are they relatively easy to keep in an lps environment with good lighting (T5 and sol)? It says from $40. How much does a nice one typically cost? Recommended?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Probably non-photosynthetic so you'd have to feed tiny, microscopic foods for them to filter feed on regularly. i.e. pollute your reef tank. Some reefers set up non-photo. coral tanks and do just that. Can be very spectacular.

reefwars
02-03-2014, 07:55 PM
if its an menella sp. then its the best chance you have at keeping a NPS gorgonian , feedings are minimal with this species and do not require direct target feedings , simply when ever you feed your fish frozen feed around the gorgonian

great beginner NPS gorg:)

chef
02-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Hmmm. Kinda conflicting responses, which is right on par for most questions in this hobby.lmao. I really like the color and dimension it would bring. Anybody in the lower mainland got any frags of this for sale?
BTW reefwars, i'm flying to ontario in a few months with a stop over in Calgary. I'd love to hook up with you at Concept and shoot the breeze for awhile.

denny_C
02-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Hmmm. Kinda conflicting responses, which is right on par for most questions in this hobby.lmao. I really like the color and dimension it would bring. Anybody in the lower mainland got any frags of this for sale?
BTW reefwars, i'm flying to ontario in a few months with a stop over in Calgary. I'd love to hook up with you at Concept and shoot the breeze for awhile.

absolutely buddy:)

ive kept a menella for quite some time now , ive fragged it prob 30 times and there are guys with sps tanks keeping this gorg simply by placing the gorg in a place of the tank that the fish gets fed reguarily:)

here is an older pic of mine:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/25g%20bonzai%20tree%20tank/IMG3417.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/reefwars/media/25g%20bonzai%20tree%20tank/IMG3417.jpg.html)

chef
02-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Hey Denny, it's a Diodogorgia nodulifera. thoughts?

denny_C
02-03-2014, 09:48 PM
this can be very hard to keep i would personally pass on it unless your willing to dedicate a constant feeding system to it or offer live foods.

monocus
02-03-2014, 10:20 PM
i keep mine alive by feeding live rotifers,live brine shrimp,and live phyto.no polluting the tank as it all gets eaten by one organism or the other

AchillesTangBeauty
03-04-2014, 06:59 PM
We have 3 of them in our tank. 2 red & yellows & one blue.. They seem to be doing quite well.. They are in my refugium basically being used as "hitching posts" for our seahorses haha! They are a nice coral, & we are have no issues with them:)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Jakegr
03-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I had a Diodogorgia recently. Feeding wasn't a major issue as I had chilled powdered food automatically dosed in the tank many times per day. The problem was elevated nutrient levels/ pest algae. I think they are better suited to a tank with dim lighting, so that low light limits algae growth.