PDA

View Full Version : Which lighting fixture should I buy?

S0K
02-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Hello all,
I am currently in the process of re setting up my 125 gal fowlr. I want to buy a new lighting fixture, and am considering the following:

72" 4x80W T5 fixture:
http://www.aquatraders.com/72-inch-4x80W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52307.htm

72" 52x3W LED fixture:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Marine-Reef-p/56549.htm

72" 400x0.2W LED fixture:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Pent-HI-Lumen-p/56369.htm

I don't need or want anything too expensive, as this is not a reef tank BUT I was just wondering if any of these fixtures would be able to support easy corals like mushrooms?

So which one should I get IYO? If you know of any better fixtures below $200 please mention those as well :)

Myka
02-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Personally, I prefer the look of T5 over LED, so I would go with the first fixture. That debate is really personal preference though, so you should choose whichever one you like better. The third one won't be very bright - even with that many LEDs. 0.2 watts doesn't punch very deep. Also, those LED fixtures are 10,000K which is much whiter/yellowish than most people prefer their marine tanks to be, but that is personal preference too. I'm not sure if that is something that will bother you or not.

S0K
02-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Personally, I prefer the look of T5 over LED, so I would go with the first fixture. That debate is really personal preference though, so you should choose whichever one you like better. The third one won't be very bright - even with that many LEDs. 0.2 watts doesn't punch very deep. Also, those LED fixtures are 10,000K which is much whiter/yellowish than most people prefer their marine tanks to be, but that is personal preference too. I'm not sure if that is something that will bother you or not.

You're right t5's will give me more flexibility as far as color goes...but not sure I want to buy new bulbs every year. I'll cross the last one off my list though and make it between the evo and the t5 fixture. I just want to know if either of those will allow me to have mushrooms or other corals in my tank. If neither will then I'll just get the evo led fixture.

Aquattro
02-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Either of the those first two will grow mushrooms. Assuming this isn't for a 3' deep tank :)

Slyguy00
02-03-2014, 12:26 AM
I had the marine land led fixture that looks almost the exact same as that one, and I wasn't very impressed. Way to much white, and the lenses were very direct and not a good spread. Thats just my opinion, but I know when I upgraded to my razor I saw colours I never even knew existed in my tank with that cheap led. As stated before though, its pretty much all personal preference.

mrhasan
02-03-2014, 04:04 AM
Hello all,
I am currently in the process of re setting up my 125 gal fowlr. I want to buy a new lighting fixture, and am considering the following:

72" 4x80W T5 fixture:
http://www.aquatraders.com/72-inch-4x80W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52307.htm

72" 52x3W LED fixture:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Marine-Reef-p/56549.htm

72" 400x0.2W LED fixture:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Pent-HI-Lumen-p/56369.htm

I don't need or want anything too expensive, as this is not a reef tank BUT I was just wondering if any of these fixtures would be able to support easy corals like mushrooms?

So which one should I get IYO? If you know of any better fixtures below $200 please mention those as well :)

Be warned about aquatraders. I don't know whether they are "back in business" properly. I have dealt with them twice. First time was good. Second time, there was no response and I won the paypall dispute since they wouldn't pick up calls or reply to email to answer whether the item I paid for was shipped or not. Their website kept on going online and offline too.

canadianbudz604
02-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Aqua traders is back in business normally. The Evo led is pretty white/yellow in colour and it will defiantly grow Lps/softies easily. I would also go with the t5 lighting though, way better colour. Starting to seem like more and more people are switching back to metal halide or t5s from the LEDs.

mike31154
02-03-2014, 05:52 AM
With T5s you'll be needing to change lamps periodically. More mercury to dispose of responsibly & extra cost over time, not to mention they will probably be phased out over time, particularly tubes in the spectrums tailored to our hobby. For a FOWLR you should be fine with either of the LED fixtures you linked to (they're both close in terms of the lumens output), but for a few dollars more you could get something a bit more powerful to future proof yourself if you decide on more coral etc.

CM125
02-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Personally I would recommend you save up a little and buy some proper lights, this is not a hobby to cheap out on, especially with lights. If you are set on getting something in the lower price range, I would still recommend going to your LFS and getting a T5 setup, cheap LEDs just dont work well. But even a decent T5 setup will be at least twice the price of those. You will not see the results you want with those lights and your tank will suffer.

CM125
02-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Heres a review of those lights from the other forum, remember you always get what you pay for.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2217576

Nuttyreefer
02-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Ai :biggrin:

sphelps
02-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah those fixtures are total junk, none of them can really be recommended. I'd suggest you buy something modular so you can save money now but have the ability to add more later if you decide it's necessary.

For LEDs maybe consider Par38 bulbs, while good ones run close to a $100 each you could probably get away with 3 to spot light 3 areas of a 6 foot tank, then you can always add more later if wanted. You can also try cheaper bulbs and always switch them out later as well but as you can imagine that will obviously cost more in the long run. Either way you have more flexibility going a route like this.

Myka
02-03-2014, 11:15 PM
You're right t5's will give me more flexibility as far as color goes...but not sure I want to buy new bulbs every year. I'll cross the last one off my list though and make it between the evo and the t5 fixture. I just want to know if either of those will allow me to have mushrooms or other corals in my tank. If neither will then I'll just get the evo led fixture.

They will all grow mushrooms. Maybe not the 0.2 watt one. You won't have to replace bulbs every year on a FOWLR...you can go until they get dim or burn out. Yearly replacement is for coral growth and mushrooms don't really count.

Sent from my Dungeon using mad Ninja Skillz.

S0K
02-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone...lots of helpful opinions and advice. I guess I'll keep looking or save up for a better one. Thanks again

misty s
02-05-2014, 09:40 PM
I have the aquatraders led light in a 48" fixture, it is very "yellowish" to the eye. I have mostly softies, and some zoas in my tank. I have a couple of bta's and a tube anemone too, all are doing well. Ive had the light for 2 years and it still works fine but I am looking to upgrade to a better light.