PDA

View Full Version : Hotel advice

Old Guy
07-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Do to the passing of my mother-in-law :sad: , I find myself having to drive back to Manitoba at the end of August. The plan is to stop in Calgary the first night and be in Winnipeg the secong night. What I could use is a little local knowledge.

What I want to do is pour myself out of my car after driving for 11 hours, have a bite to eat and have a couple of drinks all in 1 place somewhere on or close to #1.

I have looked a bit on the net here and have a couple of places in mind such as The Radisson, Four Points Calgary West or even the Quality Inn on Banff Trail. Any suggestions on these or other places? As I will be there on a Saturday night(Aug 28th), I would like to reserve something soon.

BTW if anybody wants any dry goods from J&L(buckets of salt excluded :smile: ), I'm sure we can arrange something.

TIA, Jeff

Quinn
07-23-2004, 05:54 PM
I guess I'm a little young to be seen as a seasoned traveller, but then again, I am from out of town. So for what it's worth, as far as Motel Village goes, I've had good luck at the Holiday Inn Express (Banff Trail, right off Highway 1). It doesn't have a restaurant in it of course, but I don't think any of the hotels in that area do. There's a pub on the north side of Motel Village, a strip mall with Joey's Only and a Dairy Queen, and there's a Phil's and a Denny's on the south side of the area, as I recall. Farther east I have stayed at the Sheraton on 32nd, which is north of Highway 1 but very good last time I was there, and I expect they have all your creature comforts. My condolences regarding your mother-in-law.

AJ_77
07-23-2004, 07:24 PM
My condolences also, Jeff. Those 3 place you mention are all fine, the 4 Points is right across the intersection from Canada Olympic Park as soon as you get into town.

As far as motel village, it's pretty much all new hotels now, with the additional amenities Quinn pointed out. Waterslides, courtyards, you name it. Oh, and a Red Lobster for dinner and Phil's for breakfast.
:biggrin:

Delphinus
07-23-2004, 07:33 PM
I too am very sorry for your loss.

Actually motel village on 16th (the TransCanada) is nicely close to Big T's, which is supposed to be just incredible for BBQ/steak. You'll smell it if you get within a half kilometre ... it's right across from MacMahon Stadium in that little strip mall next to the pedestrian overpass.

Old Guy
07-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys. It's been awhile since I've visited Calgary. In fact I don't even recall a "Motel Village". Is it west or east Calgary? I usually stay with relatives but this time I want to be on the road around 5 am so I didn't want to bother anybody. It's possible that I may stay for a couple of days on the way back on Sept 14th.

As far as motel/hotel goes, I thought the one's I listed had a lounge and restaurant. Basically why I was asking. Some places sound better in their ad than they actually are.

Quinn
07-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Motel Village is in the northwest, near the university, and right on the Trans-Canada.

AJ_77
07-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Yup, facing Crowchild Trail and bordering the TransCanada. It's about 10 minutes into town.

I've been in the 4 Points West and it's pretty nice, and handy if you're already tired and just want to pull in.

Old Guy
07-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Sounds good.

Thanks

Jeff