PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a temporary tank..

LostMind
07-23-2004, 12:25 AM
to house the inhabitants of my 120g for a few weeks...

the big tank in the basement isnt ready yet. but should be within a month or so.

BUT, being the hottest time of the year, the 120G and the chiller are just pumping too much heat into the living room and its bothering my fiancee to no end... which of course, means its bothering me even worse :)

So, any suggestions on a temporary tank to hold my critters? Kids swimming pools? I was thinking the shallowness of the pool would allow for great light penetration :)

Or should I go with a big rubbermaid feed trough?

Or?

TIA

EmilyB
07-23-2004, 01:25 AM
I think the important thing to remember is that you are going to want some serious flow and oxygenation in there - I don't know if you can accomplish that with a kiddie pool so I would go for something deeper.

On a smaller scale, I kept all the occupants of my 108g in a rubbermaid for several weeks with an Aquaclear 500 on it, powerhead, heater (Calgary... :rolleyes: ), several water changes. The fish clearly weren't too impressed because they couldn't eyeball me but everything came out healthy. :biggrin:

LostMind
07-23-2004, 02:33 AM
I figure with the 6maxijets and 2 tunze streams I should have a lot of flow.

Oxygenation could be accomplished with airstones if needed, altho I think I would setup my skimmer (which runs on a mag7 pump) on it.

With the kiddie pool I am worried about leeching chemicals (but kinda think it wouldnt happen because its a kids pool? Wouldnt the government mandate that it be a food safe type plastic?) and stuff like that...

EmilyB
07-23-2004, 02:40 AM
Well, I'm thinking I would break it too easily somehow.

LostMind
07-23-2004, 03:52 AM
what about those turtle kiddy pools with the slide and everything? those gotta be tough, right?

I could put a waterfall on the tank and everything :)

heh.

This sucks! Summer sux.

Quinn
07-23-2004, 04:59 AM
I believe Steve in Victoria used a kiddie pool in his garage for some purpose at one point in time, I remember photos. Of course as Deb suggested I don't see why Rubbermaids wouldn't work.

Canadian Man
07-23-2004, 05:02 AM
I would opt for the feed trough myself. After using one currently for my sump in my tank room thats the way to go. There cheep, tough and if you decide to get cattle and horses than your set :lol:

LostMind
07-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Yah, I am going to call a feed place in ladner tomorrow to see if they have the rubbermaid feed troughs in stock.

My basement is at 65 degrees while my living room is over 80 - even with AC blasting full time.

The tank just throws out too much heat and the house is old and not insulated so its hard to keep upstairs cool.

Gujustud
07-26-2004, 05:51 AM
The tank just throws out too much heat and the house is old and not insulated so its hard to keep upstairs cool.

So that says it, buy a new house ;)

LostMind
07-26-2004, 06:56 AM

So that says it, buy a new house ;)

You know, I am seriously considering it!

I could easily divide this house into two rental units and make enough from rent to cover the mortgage. Get my fiancee to go on the second house with me and we could make it work.

But I've put a lot of work into this place. I think it deserves another year of work from me and then, if I still am not satisfied, I'll move! Maybe :)

Gujustud
07-28-2004, 05:54 AM
I think in a years time when your new tank is setup, you won't think about moving ;)

kris_willard
07-28-2004, 06:37 AM
BUT, being the hottest time of the year, the 120G and the chiller are just pumping too much heat into the living room and its bothering my fiancee to no end... which of course, means its bothering me even worse :)

Ive got a cheap solution....time for a new fiancee... :wink:

LostMind
07-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Yah, I hope a year from now I am happy with the place :)

But at the rate things are progressing here, the tank may not be setup for a year :(

And while a new fiancee may sound like a cheap solution... what if the replacement likes to shop even more then this one?! Hehehe

kris_willard
07-28-2004, 08:20 PM
lol lifes a gamble.... :biggrin: