PDA

View Full Version : Herbie Overflow - Starting over

Coralgurl
01-29-2014, 11:19 PM
I need to redo my overflows - we did our herbie set up incorrectly and finally after 2 years of waterfalls, need to fix this up. I have 2 corner overflows with one drain each. On my emergency drain, we have the pipe slightly higher than the water line by like 1/8". I've read it should be slightly lower to assist restarting the siphon. In this overflow I have a little non intentional refugium going as the water really doesn't move unless my main drain fills - usually due to filter socks. Of course its lower than the top of the tank so no risk of flooding. Should I adjust the height of this drain?

I currently do not have a pipe in the main drain (reason for endless waterfalls no matter how I adjust, it resets to the same level), and I know this should be 6" lower than the emergency - no concerns there. I do have a gate valve on this drain.

And finally, plumbing - I have never secured my plumbing under the tank and I need to do this as well. I have what I need, just have to complete. Is it best to have the pumps on or off to secure? I assume off to reduce the water weight in the lines and then let the strapping carry the weight.

Thanks

mark
01-30-2014, 12:11 AM
I've got 2 overflows as well. My emergency is just at tank level but threaded a 90 1/4od fitting pointed downward into the stand pipe with a little tubing to get some flow in chamber. Know water not stagnate as pulled out fat fish after MIA for weeks

On main went years without standpipe but since added one and it ends maybe 10" below surface. Only put in to reduce flow back to sump if power fails.

Gate valve directly above sump and it controls the level in the main chamber and easy to adjust from just going over lip to point were main starting to draw air. Keep high though so no waterfall noise.

Strapped all my lines before added water.

Coralgurl
01-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks Mark. I think I will drop the height of the pipe in the emergency drain slightly to keep water moving. Can you post a pic of your emergency drain? I can't picture how you've set this up but it sounds like a good plan. I'm ok with the algae build up as well as it keeps it out of my display and I don't have any issues with the tank, there are a couple snail shells in there but sure they are dead.

No issues with the amount of water from the overflow into the sump, I can let it completely drain, as well as let it back flow from my returns and still have capacity in the sump. My issue is the noise more than anything.

gregzz4
01-31-2014, 01:50 AM
My emerg is at a level I'm comfortable with so it can't spill over the top. No other reason for the height and I run my box level about an inch below it

My main is taped and threaded hand tight into the bulkhead. It started out quite tall as I was trying to eliminate it all draining during pump off
I chopped a bit off at a time until it was low enough to be quiet and believe it's sitting somewhere around 4" tall ?, which puts it about 17" below the very top of the tank ... ? maybe ?

If you need to know send me a PM and I'll throw a tape in there this weekend

Oh, little tip
Try to have your emerg sloping constantly downhill. Then you don't need to worry about stagnant water
I don't run a trickle through my emerg on purpose as some do and it's fine

mark
02-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Thanks Mark. I think I will drop the height of the pipe in the emergency drain slightly to keep water moving. Can you post a pic of your emergency drain? I can't picture how you've set this up but it sounds like a good plan.

emergency just at tank level
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/DSC01696_zps44124be3.jpg

fitting w/tubing for circulation, coupler sits on top of standpipe, small stub as was easy way to adjust total standpipe height when first setting up emergency
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/DSC01697_zps95c86833.jpg

Coralgurl
02-01-2014, 01:38 AM
My emerg is at a level I'm comfortable with so it can't spill over the top. No other reason for the height and I run my box level about an inch below it

My main is taped and threaded hand tight into the bulkhead. It started out quite tall as I was trying to eliminate it all draining during pump off
I chopped a bit off at a time until it was low enough to be quiet and believe it's sitting somewhere around 4" tall ?, which puts it about 17" below the very top of the tank ... ? maybe ?

If you need to know send me a PM and I'll throw a tape in there this weekend

Oh, little tip
Try to have your emerg sloping constantly downhill. Then you don't need to worry about stagnant water
I don't run a trickle through my emerg on purpose as some do and it's fine

Thanks Greg, the stagnant water is what is sitting in the overflow, occassionally the main drain fills up if I forget about the filter sock but not enough to clean it out. The emerg line into the sump is sloped so water does drain.

I'll probably start it around 17" and see how that works. We ended up buying 20' of PVC so got lots to work with...:twised:

emergency just at tank level
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/DSC01696_zps44124be3.jpg

fitting w/tubing for circulation, coupler sits on top of standpipe, small stub as was easy way to adjust total standpipe height when first setting up emergency
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/DSC01697_zps95c86833.jpg

That makes sense, thanks for posting the pics. Will hopefully get to this over the weekend.

gregzz4
02-01-2014, 02:56 AM
I'm procrastinating a WC, so here ya go :wink:
BTW, I just finished washing my tape measure ...... Just for you Sheena :lol:

My main is currently 11-1/4" and my box water level is 16"
My emerg is 17" and I have another 3" + to tank spilling over
I also have a float valve to cut the return pump power before it reaches the top of the box
The fitting on my emerg is of no consequence; it just ended up there from spare parts to make the standpipe

BTW, it took days for my box to quiet itself down as it needed a bacterial film to help the water flow 'stick' to the edges of the over part and such

Whatever you do, give it time between changes/adjustments
Good luck and I hope you get a quiet box out of all your work :biggrin:

Here's some crappy pics for ya that I took blindly as the light surround is in the way for viewing what the camera sees;

Main barely visible
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/IMG_1048_zps0b6a26b7.jpg

Emerg
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/IMG_1045_zpsd872f1ad.jpg

Emerg and box height ... maybe a wasted pic post but someone may be helped by it :noidea:
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/IMG_1046_zps1c097036.jpg

Coralgurl
02-02-2014, 01:55 AM
Got the new standpipe in today, cut it at 17". Had to adjust the gate valve and return flow a bit, but it's much quieter. I'll give it a few days to settle before making further adjustments. The water level is about 2" higher than the pipe and I can still hear the water but it's much better.

Now to see if I can find a way to quiet the radion fans. :twised:

gregzz4
02-08-2014, 06:33 PM
So any new news ?

Coralgurl
02-09-2014, 06:01 PM
It's still noisy, but not as bad. Something is going on in my tank as my skimmer went nuts after I turned it back on last night after I fed my fish and still hasn't settled. Having the skimmer off affected the flow, so made some adjustments as there wasn't much I could do, we had company that just left this morning.

Even with the higher water level, it sounds like a leaky faucet. I am home for the day so will be able to tinker.

gregzz4
02-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Hopefully you find something stuck in the skimmer venturi or on the pinwheel

How many GPH do you estimate you're running through your overflow ?
What's your level below your teeth ?

If you feel like tinkering with your levels, I have my box level nearly 5" above my main (standpipe is 11-1/4") and about 4" from the top

Coralgurl
02-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Ya, I'm not sure what's going on with the skimmer but will check it out.

I dialed back the return flow, I have to check back on turnover, the skimmer def pushes the flow along.

Your standpipe is lower than mine, its just figuring out how far to keep the water below the teeth, it seems to always settle at about 2.5 inches above the pipe.

I've been so busy with work that I haven't been home much before 9 this past week, so not much tinkering time.

gregzz4
02-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Are you able to tell whether the sound is coming from the pipe or the teeth ?

You may need to experiment with different standpipe heights
I know it took me a few tries to get mine where I liked it

That may not be the issue though and you'll need to play with your flow rate, then adjust the standpipe after the fact

mark
02-09-2014, 06:59 PM
found standpipe doesn't make any different in the overflow chamber level (I can remove it and level just stays the same). The only effect is see having it, is the amount back to sump with pumps off or if too high, I'll start getting a vortex and suck in air.

What effects the chamber level is back pressure on return line, by how the valve is set or even if my filter sock gets dirty and water starts rising in the sock. If you are going to play, maybe do so on how deep the drain line goes into the sump.

Ended up run my main drain chamber high so water drops probably less than 1/2 an inch so really no noise.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/Edmonton-20140209-00951_zps78c3d0f4.jpg (http://s67.photobucket.com/user/das75/media/Edmonton-20140209-00951_zps78c3d0f4.jpg.html)

gregzz4
02-09-2014, 07:03 PM
How tall is your overflow box ?

mark
02-09-2014, 07:16 PM
How tall is your overflow box ?
mine? to the lip about 21"

gregzz4
02-09-2014, 07:33 PM
mine? to the lip about 21"
Lol, sorry no. Sheena's
Took me a few minutes to post my thought so I missed your's

Coralgurl
02-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Tank is 24" tall, overflow to bottom of teeth is 22".

The drain line in the sump is approx 2" below water level.

Right now, the adjustments made today are perfect, now it's finally quiet.

gregzz4
02-09-2014, 10:04 PM
That's great news

So what'd you do ?

Coralgurl
02-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Adjusted the return flow, had it almost wide open. A bit of adjusting with the gate valve as well. Water level is at 2" below teeth. Can't hear the water at all, just lights and pumps. :lol:

gregzz4
02-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Can't hear the water at all, just lights and pumps. :lol:
:cheer2::drinking: