PDA

View Full Version : Bristle worms

SteveCGY
01-28-2014, 07:55 PM
So about a month ago I noticed 1 bristle worm since then now I can see about ten and multiplying. Should I be concerned? Bad or good? Is there a fish or something that eats them? Any Information would be good. Wanna keep it under control before she goes south and in tearing everything apart.

jason604
01-28-2014, 08:03 PM
So about a month ago I noticed 1 bristle worm since then now I can see about ten and multiplying. Should I be concerned? Bad or good? Is there a fish or something that eats them? Any Information would be good. Wanna keep it under control before she goes south and in tearing everything apart.

Free clean up crew. Keep em

Dearth
01-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Generally they are harmless and make a good part of your CUC crew however there are a couple of caveats to this and are an extremely common hitch hiker on coral and rock

1) Bristle worms are loaded with tiny needle sharp quills that will cause anything from minor irritation to sever pain never ever handle these bare handed

2) They can fit into almost any hole, nook, cranny or hollow so be careful picking up rocks, cover and other things in the tank

3) Fire worms and Enucid worms are considered harmful to your tank however they are easily recognizable so if you do see them remove from your tank

I personally I have a hatred for bristle worms however I have learned to live with these guys in an uneasy truce

Magickiwi
01-28-2014, 08:31 PM
I remove them when I see them. Lots of people keep them though. If you are looking for a predator to keep your population under control I think a six line wrasse will eat them.

FishyFishy!
01-28-2014, 09:22 PM
The big thing is that they eat detritis. When I find that they are overpopulating my display, I pull them out and put them in my sump/fuge, or get a 6 line to eat them up. I find them harmless (until you get poked by one... then I hate them).

The only time that I worry about them is if they are massive (bigger than 4" long or 1/2 cm thick) or if they look like fire or enucid worms, then they get flushed.

Karsten
01-28-2014, 09:54 PM
I had the same issue. it turnned out I was feeding too much which aided in their fast reproduction

asylumdown
01-29-2014, 03:05 AM
not sure it would be possible to do anything about them, even if you wanted to. They're pretty prolific, so even if you are removing every one you see, you're likely not even making a dent in their overall population. If you've got one, you've got thousands.

Dearth
01-29-2014, 03:34 AM
not sure it would be possible to do anything about them, even if you wanted to. They're pretty prolific, so even if you are removing every one you see, you're likely not even making a dent in their overall population. If you've got one, you've got thousands.

I recently took a rock out of my tank and turned it from live rock to dead rock over a course of a few weeks it was very porous and once the worms came tumbling out looking for a new home I counted over 300 worms that I could see most were less than an inch in length with only 14 over 5 inches so yea once they are in your tank your stuck with them whether you want them or not

Aquattro
01-29-2014, 04:10 AM
I would pay for a bag of bristle worms! Not one to be seen in my tank.

spit.fire
01-29-2014, 05:30 AM

Me too, I might harvest some from my friends tank

asylumdown
01-29-2014, 06:00 AM

seriously? I can count about... 700 from where I'm sitting at my dining room table. You name a price and I'll ship you a tank full lol.

Chuckvandam
01-29-2014, 06:40 AM
Has anybody said royal gramma?

Sent from my stupid iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuckvandam
01-29-2014, 06:42 AM
I have next to none and an 8 yo royal gramma, not saying it eat the big ones tho

Chuckvandam
01-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Also cud b my eng gobies movin the sand around an exposing then more often, they might eatem too?

CM125
01-29-2014, 06:09 PM
between my christmas wrasse and my dottyback i would never be able to keep bristle worms...

Chuckvandam
01-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Dottybax ftw

lastlight
01-29-2014, 07:27 PM
If you've got one, you've got thousands.

so true. i see the odd one during the day and a few more when the moonlights are on. but i have a rock wall on the back of my tank and i can look behind all that rockwork anytime i want. the back is loaded with these guys.

CM125
01-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Dottybax ftw

except mine is an ******* to new fish i put in there!!! I would take it out if I could catch it...

nrosdal
01-29-2014, 10:07 PM
i found that flatworm exit also kills the bristle worms. If there are lots it may be an issue with them dieing inside the rock and rotting. But when i dosed it for a few flatworms i had to suck out no less then 30-40 large worms that crawled out and died on the sand.

SharkBait48
05-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Does anyone know how to trap them? I have a big one that I want out

pinkreef
05-23-2014, 10:53 PM
PUT SOME YUMMY FOOD ON THE SANDBED, THEY WILL COME OUT OF THE ROCKWORK TOWARD THE FOOD. GET YOUR LONG TWEEZERS AND SNATCH THEM UP QUICK........REPEAT........REPEAT
OR YOU CAN GET A NICE WRASSE

sorry about the caps

monza
05-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Does anyone know how to trap them? I have a big one that I want out

A mesh media bag with food in it. Some one posted a pic recently on another thread. It works good, they get all caught up in it going for the food.