PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate Question

Chad
07-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Ok,

So, my tank nitrates are at 30 - 35 or so.. I decided to test all 3 steps to the tank.

Tap: 0 ppm
RO/DI: 0 ppm
Make Up Water (Kent Salt Added): 10 ppm

Now the part that makes no sense to me is the make up water. I am wondering if this has to do with the fact it was sitting in my mixing pail for about 3 days (circulating and heated of course). Does anyone have experience with this? I never bothered to measure the make up water before. Not thinking it would change. Any chance it could be introduced by the salt mix?

Thanks for the help..

Delphinus
07-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Unless there's bioload in your make-up water, I doubt it.

What are you using for your source of freshwater? Tap or RO or RO/DI?

Chad
07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Unless there's bioload in your make-up water, I doubt it.

What are you using for your source of freshwater? Tap or RO or RO/DI?

RO/DI which tests as 0 ppm.

LostMind
07-22-2004, 04:47 PM
the bucket was clean?

Delphinus
07-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Sorry that I overlooked that info in your first post. :redface: Not too swift today apparently.

I don't know what to suggest ... bad bucket of salt maybe? I don't think I've ever had NO3 in my makeup.

Try testing the salt water mix right after mixing it?

Chad
07-22-2004, 05:24 PM
the bucket was clean?

The bucket is completely clean. I have not had a chance to test it directly after mixing. I will do that tonight. I'll post the results.

LostMind
07-22-2004, 05:46 PM
curious....

Veng68
07-22-2004, 06:20 PM
I can't remember where I read it but I think ammonia is a by product of the salt making process. I think it was from one of the many salt threads at reef.org or reefcentral.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Chad
07-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Its all really bizarre.. But hopefully tonight I will get the answer to my question after I test right after mixing.

BTW. I am using a Salifert test kit. ( in case someone wants to know the accuracy of the test)

Chad
07-23-2004, 07:45 AM
ok tested my make up water about an hour or so after mixing it. Comes out to 0 ppm ..

the only thing I can see then is that in the next 3 days it has enough time to start producing significant nitrates. I am gonna test it in the morning and see what happens.

May change how I do my water changes.

Chad
07-25-2004, 06:16 AM
Just an update. After about 36 hrs. I have Ntrates of 5ppm in my freshly mixed makeup water.

I was wondering if someone else out there can test their makeup water. I am sure there must be a few people out there who have some pre-mixed makeup water waiting to be used.

Let me know if you get the same results.

I am starting to think I am going to have to change the water the instant I make it.

Thanks.

EmilyB
07-25-2004, 08:28 AM
In my case I can see how there can be some contamination back to the sw mixing tub. I use a python to drain the tanks for a wc, then I try to be religious about rinsing the hose before refilling the tanks with the new sw.

I usually leave the water in the tub cold, and just heat it before the wc. I haven't measured it for nitrates tho.

AJ_77
07-25-2004, 04:12 PM
My day-old makeup water tests at zero. Same old bucket I always use. But I don't have a python...