PDA

View Full Version : Should I remove these pieces from my tank?

LoJack
01-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Hey guys, just want some opinions from others regarding my scape.

I have a mostly SPS reef, but I have a 4 rather big LPS colonies on the right side of my tank that I've been debating removing to free up some more room for my SPS.

I'm having a hard time deciding since I grew them from frags … and its hard to let go. Especially since the frogspawn is as big as a basketball now.

There are two huge torches, a huge 50+ head frogspawn, and a Euphillia Cristata in the front. Would you remove the LPS in this FTS on the right side?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u58/LoJack29/FTSJan2514_zps418d00ff.jpg (http://s165.photobucket.com/user/LoJack29/media/FTSJan2514_zps418d00ff.jpg.html)

The Grizz
01-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Personally I wouldn't but its not my tank. If you where closer I would so take them off your hand at a fair price.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-27-2014, 01:19 AM
If you need to top of the rock structure for more sps, then move them down. If you don't then leave them. They look great and they look happy.

If you were closer I would happily take them off your hands :rockon::wink:

Reef Pilot
01-27-2014, 01:31 AM
If you were closer I would happily take them off your hands :rockon::wink:
He surely would... haha. Is that your favorite coral, Anthony?

I've had the same problem, to make room for SPS. Selling was the answer for me. The frogspawn was just getting too big.

Madreefer
01-27-2014, 01:35 AM
Your tank looks great. I'd get rid of them other than a small peice of each to grow out again. Change is good once in a while.

gregzz4
01-27-2014, 02:06 AM
If I was in your shoes, I'd frag a bit from each one and find a spot for them elsewhere - selling the majority of them
Then I'd fill the old spots with SPS :smile:

Aquattro
01-27-2014, 02:21 AM
I have large LPS taking room up in the tank, but they get to stay. I have to accept that one day there is no more room for SPS and live with it. Most non reefing people that see the tank like the LPS a lot more too :)

asylumdown
01-27-2014, 03:05 AM
I think a few large, fully grown out LPS pieces can really complete the look of a tank. If you were to remove them I think you'd be shocked at how empty your tank would suddenly look, and it would stay that way for months while something else grew in.

If you want to see how you feel about it, you can always just put those guys in a bucket for a while then stand back and look at your tank. If you feel like that creates too much a hole, there's nothing stopping you from putting some or all of them back.

The only caution I would give would be that you know how big these things can get and how much volume their tentacles occupy at this size now. If you frag them so you've got much smaller specimens in their place then load up the now emptied space with SPS, you're only a few months away from those LPS posing a real threat to what you've added in their place.

My euphyllia's that have grown up to close to that size are in the process of destroying encrusted acros and montis that I can't move out of their way.

LoJack
01-27-2014, 03:13 AM
I have large LPS taking room up in the tank, but they get to stay. I have to accept that one day there is no more room for SPS and live with it. Most non reefing people that see the tank like the LPS a lot more too :)

This is one thing I've noticed as well. While I love SPS and think they're the most beautiful and challenging in all of reef keeping, people love the sway and size of the LPS corals. The torch in my tank gets the most attention by non-aquarium folk

LoJack
01-27-2014, 03:28 AM
Figured out how to embed larger photo's … This should help to see things a little better.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u58/LoJack29/FTSJan2514_zpsfacb5832.jpg (http://s165.photobucket.com/user/LoJack29/media/FTSJan2514_zpsfacb5832.jpg.html)

BlueTang<3
01-27-2014, 03:41 AM
You got to get rid of those blastos just don't fit in at all,

Pm me with the shipping details

I personally like the Lps added a bunch of higher end ones oranges and golds, great for low light area of tank, there great too they are great tell tale signs early of something not right vs a white stick.

LoJack
01-27-2014, 03:49 AM
You got to get rid of those blastos just don't fit in at all,

Pm me with the shipping details

I personally like the Lps added a bunch of higher end ones oranges and golds, great for low light area of tank, there great too they are great tell tale signs early of something not right vs a white stick.

lol funny you mention that … I am thinking of moving the blasto's down to the sand bed and splitting the colony into two or three frags. I find that these blasto's grow crazy fast, until they form a sphere … then they slow right down.

The colony started as a small frag, only 3 or 4 heads. It grew really fast and then slowed right down when it was a perfect sphere. Now it just slowly plumps itself up.

Its just like the green candy cane at the bottom centre of the photo. It started as 5 heads and grew incredibly fast … until it fill out all of its space … now it doesn't do much of anything in terms of growth. I'm thinking of splitting it as well just to get a bit more growth out of it.

The Grizz
01-27-2014, 04:24 AM
If anything maybe move the frogspawn at the top right to the bottom left at the base of the rock to fill in the open space & send me the torch :lol: