PDA

View Full Version : Jebao WP to Apex harness

Torx
01-24-2014, 06:48 AM
I have parts to build 3 single WP harnesses or 1 x 2 pumps and a single.

$25 for a single
$40 for a double.

The one in the picture is a double that runs a WP-25 and WP-40 in my tank.

Located in Blenheim, will ship.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/aburagav.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

jordsyke
01-24-2014, 01:09 PM
ill take the double, it will hook up to 2 wp40s? can they still be on different sides of a 4' tank

Torx
01-24-2014, 01:52 PM
ill take the double, it will hook up to 2 wp40s? can they still be on different sides of a 4' tank

My WP-25 and WP-40 are on opposite sides of my 5' 120gallon tank. My Apex is in my cabinet below the tank. The one that I will make for you has a 3' black Ethernet cord as well, so more then long enough for your tank. If you are not picky on color, I also have those baby blue and off green cords as well.

If interested, PM my your info so I can get some shipping prices.

On a side note, if there is lots of interest, I will order more parts to make them for anyone interested.

ronau
01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
I will take 2 doubles if I can control everything independently. I need to check my controllers for my return pump and skimmer pump to make sure they take the same signal.

Torx
01-24-2014, 04:10 PM
I will take 2 doubles if I can control everything independently. I need to check my controllers for my return pump and skimmer pump to make sure they take the same signal.

1 double will control 2 items seperately/independently through one VSP.

I will order more supplies when I get home and reply to PM's then as well.

Torx
01-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Double is spoken for.

Single still available at this time.

I have ordered more parts, so feel free to keep the PM's rolling and I answer as many questions as possible. Will most likely be 2 weeks for new parts. If there are a few who want to order together to save shipping, that is okay too. After all, I would if I could :laluot_22:

kacairns
01-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Are these cables made so they convert the 0-10v from the apex to 0-5v for the jebao pump?

Torx
01-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Are these cables made so they convert the 0-10v from the apex to 0-5v for the jebao pump?

Correct. The cable converts the 0-10v that the Apex puts out to a 0-5v signal for the Jebao pump.

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 01:32 AM
This question has been asked many times on Reef Central, Manhattan etc.. Never has there been a specific or satisfactory response.

I'll try anyways :)

Will this cable work with a Reefkeeper's 0-10v pump controller? RKL/RKE or otherwise?

Torx
01-25-2014, 12:32 PM
This question has been asked many times on Reef Central, Manhattan etc.. Never has there been a specific or satisfactory response.

I'll try anyways :)

Will this cable work with a Reefkeeper's 0-10v pump controller? RKL/RKE or otherwise?

This cable will not connect to RKL/RKE as is.

The connection on these are ethernet and RKL/RKE has a special connector. If you had the RKL/RFE connector, then the end of this cable could be cut off and modified with the correct connection, then it would work. I do not have a RKL/RKE, so I am not 100% on the connection type, I just know it is not ethernet. If there was a place to get these connections, I could build one that would work for RKL/RKE.

ReefKeeper Switch Adapter Kit Digital Aquatics would work if you have one and the wires can be spliced into this harness. I will do some reading today to see a little more, so far I haven't even had a morning coffee. :D

Torx
01-25-2014, 01:04 PM
k...first coffee in the system.

Pretty sure the ALC module uses these, they look like 2 pin molex, but I do not know anyone who has a RKL/RKE to confirm.

http://i40.tinypic.com/dvk7k6.jpg

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Pretty sure the ALC module uses these, they look like 2 pin molex, but I do not know anyone who has a RKL/RKE to confirm.

No.

The relevant Reefkeeper module is the APC controller (Automatic Pump Controller, not the ALC = Automatic Light Controller)

http://www.championlighting.com/pics/controllerpics/reefkeeper/APC.jpg

Secondly, the control cable connector is based, I think, (NOT sure) upon a RJ45 jack ending (it could well be RJ11 though). The APC module is intended to control the Tunze line of powerheads.

Reefkeeper bus cables are based upon a RJ11 jack, though the pin out is different from a std phone cable, on that I am 100% certain.

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 03:13 PM
IGNORE THE ABOVE

Yes and No.

there IS a two pin 0-10v connector on the ALC and MLC controllers based upon a small 2 pin molex.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w275/chrisbaldwin/IMAG0549_zps8f52f63c.jpg

The relevant Reefkeeper module for pump control, for what it is worth is the APC controller (Automatic Pump Controller, not the ALC = Automatic Light Controller). Though yes, the ALC does have a two pin style connector that can 0-10v and is a FAR more common module among RK owners.

http://www.championlighting.com/pics/controllerpics/reefkeeper/APC.jpg

The APC module has 4 connectors to control the Tunze line of pupmp based upon a RJ11 connector. The APC module is intended to control the Tunze line of powerheads. I know that people have used Cat5 as an underlying cable without problem though if modified properly to terminate in RJ11.

Reefkeeper bus cables are also based upon a RJ11 jack, though the pin out is different from a std phone cable, on that I am 100% certain.

I would predict that if you can modify your cable for use with a Reefkeeper APC? Or the 0-10v connector on an ALC, you could sell a LOT of these cables!

Torx
01-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Thank you Steel_Wind.

You basically posted everything I have just read and I agree with all of it. I am just looking for the pin out on them, but my morning is being broken up with tank maintenance and other pets plus kids, so I keep getting interrupted LoL. The pinout is all that matters, which pin is + and which is -?

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Cable shot.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12399&stc=1&d=1390667330

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Here is the original post which talk about how to create a 0-10v control cable for use with a Kessil A360 and the ALC 2 pin 0-10v controller. This probably tells you which is + and - to those who understand such basic things better than I.

"Then the right and white has the hots for the reds on the ALC..." So it would appear on that above picture of the ALC on top of the yellow felt, it is the one with the red wires that is +, i.e., the one on the left.

See here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2275089&highlight=kessil+alc

Torx
01-25-2014, 03:59 PM
So red is + and black is - on the ALC. Pretty typical, but you never know if a company switches up the wire colors. I can easily make one of these for someone if the demand is there.

What about the APC? The APC probably would be the better unit to use.

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 04:16 PM
So red is + and black is - on the ALC. Pretty typical, but you never know if a company switches up the wire colors. I can easily make one of these for someone if the demand is there.

What about the APC? The APC probably would be the better unit to use.

Honestly? I'm not sure about that at all. The ALC module has a 0-10v controller. The MLC modules all use 0-10v 2 pin hookups to work as far as I know. Both of these modules are far more widely owned by a lot of RKL and RKE owners than the rare APC.

The APC modules are, to date, designed to work only with Tunze powerheads and my impression is that it is not very widely owned as a result. For example, I have never, ever, seen a used one for sale.

While the APC module could work, the cost of these modules is the giveaway. To buy a MLC just for powerhead control of the Jebao WP line would be about ~$75. To buy an APC for powerhead control is $135. Anybody who owns one already owns a Tunze -- that's why they bought it; it has no other function.

I think a WP control cable rigged to work with the Molex Microfit 3.0 connectors would be FAR more popular. Plus, the RKL head unit is limited in the number of modules it can support at a max of 4. A power bar counts as a module against this limit. Most RKL owners have 1 or 2 PC4 power bars and a SL1. They have one module free. Most get the ALC or MLC light modules -- not an APC.

The fact that a RKL owner could use an ALC or MLC to control pumps (as well as Sols or Moonlights, respectively) would be attractive as hell. A Kessil owner could use the MLC to control both the Kessil lights and the WP powerheads while still being within the module limit of the RKL.

Torx
01-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info on RKE. I did not realize there were so many limitations, so yes, the ALC would be the ideal hook up. I will look locally for the connector first. I have a few feelers out on local members to see if I can try a cable out on their systems. But this hobby is not too popular where I am.

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 04:32 PM
I guess the point would be this:

We all know that the Apex is the preferred and more "pro" of aquarium controllers. For a fully featured unit and customer support, the Neptune Apex kicks the crap out of the RKE. (And I own both a RKE and a RKL, so I'm allowed to say this).

Where the Reefkeepr has an advantage is in the RKL side. At $119, it is a cheap entry point for basic controller functions. It has the Apex Jr. beat all to hell on price for basic functions.

Considering those who want to buy Jebao WP pumps tend to be more price conscious to start with, that combined with a cheap solution to add controllability to the RKL unit would be very popular in a way the APC based control cable would not be. Price matters.

Torx
01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
I am not judging your choice at all. I just made the Apex cable because that is what I own (probably the only thing I purchased new since I started the hobby 3-4 years ago).

I will look around for the connectors, and post when I have some cables made for the ALC from RKE/RKL. Probably about 2-3 weeks out.

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Looking ahead, if a similar 0-10v control cable for the Jebao DC12000 DC controllable pump were possible using a Molex Microfit 3.0 (I am betting "yes"), you could potentially control both the WP powerheads, a Jebao DC Controllable pump and a suite of Kessil lights all from one MLC unit hooked up to a RKL.

Honestly? That's VERY kick-ass!

Torx
01-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Oh I am not judging your choice at all. RKE/RKE is still a great controller. Like the Linux to Windows I guess you can say (I prefer Linux actually :D ). The only reason I made the Apex cable is because that is what I own. (probably the only thing I ever purchased new in this hobby).

I will look for the connectors and post when I have cables ready to be made. Probably 2-3 weeks out.

Steel_Wind
01-25-2014, 04:44 PM
I am not judging your choice at all.

Dude, I'm judging my choice!! I wish I had just gone with the Apex instead of an RKE.

I ended up with a couple of RKLs and some extra modules and it got out of hand. So I ended up getting a RKE head unit directly from DA so I could go past the module limit on a tank I am building.

In general, show me a RKE owner and I will show you someone who wishes they bought an Apex.

But the RKL is a different matter. That thing has its uses and a LARGE price advantage. I'll stick up for an RKL as a good basic piece of gear. If you can add a suite of functions to it all with one measly cheap-ass control module? That's Primo gravy.

Torx
01-25-2014, 07:54 PM
LoL, either way, parts are on order to work with the ALC unit. No shipping date yet, but it is a Saturday today.

Torx
02-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Sorry for the delay, apparently the vendor had my order listed as shipped when it wasn't. Parts should be shipped Monday.

jordsyke
02-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Got my harness! Thx! even though she wont be put to use for a while haha

Torx
02-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Still not confirmed on the RKE/RKL... but ... I was chatting with a guy on another site (not sure if i can name it here) and he is using one on a Jebao DC controllable pump. SO ... that opens the doors for a few people.

Aquattro
03-19-2014, 12:40 AM
I ordered one of these Apex to WP cables, just got it hooked up and it's great. Although I may not keep the water in the tank long with the current profiles.

Seller was great to deal with, PM'ed every step of the way and the package arrived a day early. If you have these pumps and an Apex, you need one of these cables!

ronau
03-19-2014, 03:48 AM
I got mine quite a while ago but only hooked them up a couple of weeks ago. They work awesome and allow for way better control of my WP-25s. Only change I might do now is make a version that works with the new single power supply to run the pair.

Torx
03-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the kind words and feedback. You may need to definitely adjust those profiles I sent depending on your tank size. I have had some crazy waves in my 120 lol.
I do have some left if there is anymore interest.

Torx
04-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Making some more this weekend, let me know if you are interested.

reefme
04-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Will it works on Waveline dc return pump?

Torx
04-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Will it works on Waveline dc return pump?

That question is unanswered.

Torx
05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
$20 for a single
$30 for a double

Shipping varies per location. Typically $10-$15 tracked, insured, and delivered in 4-6 days (less if you are in Ontario).

Torx
06-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Parts for 10 doubles ready to go. Can custom length the Ethernet. Discounts on multi purchases and shipping does not go up for multi cables either. Can ship them as early as Monday. Hop on the DIY Apex Control Freak train. I never heard back from people testing on RKE/RKL. If you are willing to give it a go on your unit, PM me and we can work something out.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2i8uo2d.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2yuatdf.jpg

patman
06-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Got these today. Weekend project is to hook them up and figure out how to program the apex.
Thx Mark.

Will reroute the others back when they show up.

Torx
06-27-2014, 03:03 AM
Got these today. Weekend project is to hook them up and figure out how to program the apex.
Thx Mark.

Will reroute the others back when they show up.

Thanks Patman. Out of stock atm, but more on order currently. I will update the thread when more supplies come in.

Torx
07-25-2014, 03:47 PM
More parts in for 20 cables. Ready to rock out a few more.

$20 for a single
$30 for a double

Shipping varies per location. Typically $10-$15 tracked, insured, and delivered in 4-6 days (less $$$ and time if you are in Ontario).

Torx
08-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Bump

4 available currently. Custom lengths upon request.

$20 for a single
$30 for a double

Shipping varies per location. Typically $10-$15 tracked, insured, and delivered in 4-6 days (less if you are in Ontario). That shipping cost covers multiple cables for the same price.

Torx
08-28-2014, 05:10 PM
All sold out for now. Please close. I will post a new ad when parts come in to make more. PM me if interested in the next batch.

Thank you.

pulpfiction1
09-01-2014, 03:42 PM
That question is unanswered.

i have a waveline here if you want to test one out torx

Torx
09-01-2014, 08:04 PM
i have a waveline here if you want to test one out torx

I knew that you had one...why did I never remember to check it out lol. Need to open the controller to test with a multimeter first and go from there. We will have to meet up for a bit soon.