PDA

View Full Version : Removing a clam from a rock????

The Grizz
01-24-2014, 04:22 AM
I have one clam that is attached to a piece of rock that I need to get rid of because it might have flat worms on or in it. Anyone have any ideas on how to safely remove a clams foot off a rock.

Delphinus
01-24-2014, 04:35 AM
Depends on how easily you can get under it. It's very risky. In theory, if you can slice it right at the rock you can do it, but you run the risk of pulling the byssal gland out or nicking it and it really doesn't take much to be game over with clams.

If you can reposition the rock such that it doesn't want to stay on it anymore, it can let go on its own within a day or so.

How certain are you of the flatworms? Can a freshwater dip take care of the flatworms? The clam can survive for longer than you think in a FW dip... this is the recommended treatment for clams with pinched mantle for example which is, IIRC, usually a protozoan to blame for.

The Grizz
01-24-2014, 05:03 AM
100,000,000% postive the rock has flat worms as the tank was completly infested until I pulled all the rock except for this piece. I tried to position the rock in a different way to where the clam was literally hanging off it for a couple weeks. I guess I could just cut the rock with my dremel and make sure there are no flat worms on it.

Dive_dry
01-24-2014, 05:15 AM
How I got my clam to let go was I moved the rock to one side of the tank where the light was less intense in about 3 days it let go

arrowan54
01-24-2014, 04:15 PM
i have moved 2 now by wiggling it a few times a day took a week to happen with the first one and 3 days for the second one to let go but he had only been attached for a couple weeks

The Grizz
01-24-2014, 04:24 PM
This guy has been attached for several months, think I'm going to have to cut the rock which is fine with me.

TimT
01-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Hi,

There is a couple ways to solve the problem.

1. Remove the rock with the clam and dip the rock in a 50/50 mix of 3% hydrogen peroxide and tank water. This may not be a viable option depending on size of rock and position of clam on rock or other corals on the rock. For the area around the clam shell you can blast it with freshwater to kill any flatworms hiding by the clam. A small syringe would be good for this. Drain the freshwater away from the clam though. A healthy clam will not have any problems being out of the water for 15 to 20 minutes.

2. To cut the byssal threads you need a sharp x-acto hobby knife. They are small and thin to get around the shell. First step is to get the byssal mantle to retract by gentle touching it. Once it has fully retracted you can work the clam back and forth and cut byssal threads everytime. You can laterally(90° to shell opening) tilt(up to about 25°) the clam slightly sideways to get at the threads without causing it damage. Do NOT pull the clam straight up.

3. As Tony mentioned clams, and also anemones, will detach from rocks if they are in an area they don't like. When clams do they leave the byssal thread mass behind, it looks kind of like a whitish 1/4 of a walnut.

Cheers,
Tim

Coral Hoarder
01-24-2014, 04:38 PM
I had a rock with a small 3" clam fall sideways the clam came off and looks to be fine now I was really worries for the first few days after it hapend

Mabie tilt the rock sideways and hope it falls off lol

Slick Fork
01-25-2014, 06:27 PM
I just got a clam off a rock today by tilting the rock sideways. It took about a week for him to completely let go, Maybe it makes a difference how high the rock is off the sandbed. I made sure that this was only an inch or so drop for it.

The Grizz
01-25-2014, 06:36 PM
I got it free from the rock last night with my dremel, cut as much of the rock away bit by bit until it was free. Didn't want to hurt the clam by cutting it away. Only down side was the electric shock I got from the dremel and then dropped it into the water, wife is a little mad cause it was a xmas gift.

asylumdown
01-26-2014, 06:15 AM
I've dosed flatworm exit to my tank twice with no effect on my one clam, why not just treat the rock the clam is on for flatworms? I know you've already found a solutions, but the clam itself is likely hiding baby flatworms in its nooks and crannies so I'd probably want to treat with FWE regardless.

sumpfinfishe
01-26-2014, 06:42 AM
Great to hear you solved your clam issue without killing yourself, funny when i read the original post i thought this is a problem that Timt would be able to solve if the different placement trick didnt work and then i read on to see the clam expert beat my thought:mrgreen: