PDA

View Full Version : Recharge di resin

rhody605
01-23-2014, 06:22 PM
I have been looking at recharging my own di resin. Here is an artical I came across.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-09/nftt/

I have about 10 pounds worth of resin. Some used some been recharged by someone else. Worth a try I'm thinking.

I would keep the two resin types separated after the process.

Let me know what people think about it.

lastlight
01-23-2014, 07:21 PM
maybe we need a group buy on the recharge solution. was some hydroxide i forget. tagging along and interested.

spit.fire
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
maybe we need a group buy on the recharge solution. was some hydroxide i forget. tagging along and interested.

pretty sure its hydrochloric acid and caustic soda

availible at your local rona (hydrochloric acid = muriatic acid) which is used for controlling ph in pools and cleaning concrete etc and caustic soda aka lye is also easy to get locally

rhody605
01-23-2014, 09:16 PM
So far I have found muriatic acid at rona. 4L for $15

And Lye crystals (sodium hydroxide) at home hardware 3KG for $24.

Everything else is just containers and such.

lastlight
01-23-2014, 09:57 PM
the article says the acid wash is optional but i'd probably do it as well. make sure the stuff is working as close to new as possible.

what were the lye crystals sold as? do you have a picture of the container?

rhody605
01-23-2014, 11:07 PM
This is what I found. I have not tried purchasing it yet though.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Cleaners/Household/Specialty/3kg-Free-Flowing-Lye-Crystals-Cleaner/_/N-ntkhb/R-I3226431?Num=0

StirCrazy
01-23-2014, 11:27 PM
remember it calls for high quality HCL or recharging exchangers, buy cheep stuff and don't expect the best job.

most stuff you can get at the hardware store is very diluted also.

Steve

rhody605
01-24-2014, 03:14 AM
Good call to check the concentration. Will have to see what % that one is. I was doing some reading and I guess a standard concentration is 32%. After that its an industrial strength and is harder to find.

StirCrazy
01-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Good call to check the concentration. Will have to see what % that one is. I was doing some reading and I guess a standard concentration is 32%. After that its an industrial strength and is harder to find.
most stuff you'll find at the hardware store is under 10% and the pool ones at HD and such are 14%. most places don't carry stronger stuff anymore.

Steve

mark
01-24-2014, 01:00 PM
doing this now you got buckets of hazardous chemicals to store or disposal of

Magickiwi
01-24-2014, 01:06 PM
doing this now you got buckets of hazardous chemicals to store or disposal of

To save a few bucks on a DI cartridge...

cav~firez22
01-24-2014, 01:46 PM
To save a few bucks on a DI cartridge...

No Kidding!!

what does a Di bag cost to refill? 9.99 from BRS? 13.99 from J&L?

hardly seems worth it to go through all that trouble when you can just empty the canister, and replace it with a 13$ bag of nuclear grad DI.......

not sure why you would want to play with Muratic acid and stuff, indoors, let alone with out a respirator on.

To each is own i guess...

rhody605
01-24-2014, 03:42 PM
The lye solution is basic. And the muriatic acid is of course acidic. They will neutralize when mixed together. When cleaning up mix everything together.

Me personally I like to tinker with things. So when I see something that can easily be done at home and prevent more stuff going to the landfill and safe some money too. I'm willing to try it. My tds out of the tap is around 230. So I'm using about a pound of resin per 2 months or so.

Magickiwi
01-24-2014, 04:09 PM
The lye solution is basic. And the muriatic acid is of course acidic. They will neutralize when mixed together. When cleaning up mix everything together.

Me personally I like to tinker with things. So when I see something that can easily be done at home and prevent more stuff going to the landfill and safe some money too. I'm willing to try it. My tds out of the tap is around 230. So I'm using about a pound of resin per 2 months or so.

So you'd rather dump chemical waste down your drain instead of sending 1lb of beads to the landfill? Even if the chemical reaction is balanced enough that you wind up with a pH neutral solution it is still chemical waste. Sorry man, your logic isn't clear there...

Do as you please but in terms of safety, expense, waste etc. they just don't add up.

lastlight
01-24-2014, 04:11 PM
lol ok i just realized we're talking about di resin! all this time i was thinking gfo! yeah there's no way i'd bother recharging di resin. i'm out good luck =)

rhody605
01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Lye is used for making soap and candles. Lots being used all across the country. Why aren't you upset about that too then?

Muriatic acid used for cleaning driveways. And controlling ph for pools.

Why is the use of them for something else so alarming.

$50 to recharge 15Lbs or so of resin is a large savings.