PDA

View Full Version : Red Algae

three dawgs
07-21-2004, 11:19 PM
I have a lot of red algae forming in my tank on the sand bed and various other places. ANy idea what from and why and how to get rid of it?
Thank you
Looks like a filmy substance of sort

Aquattro
07-21-2004, 11:32 PM
cyano. Too much nutrients, old bulbs, not enough flow. But mostly too many nutrients. More water changes and greater skimming might do the trick.

Stirfry
07-24-2004, 12:43 AM
some tangs have been know to eat it my kole tang eats red slime algea

Quinn
07-24-2004, 01:34 AM
Old bulbs... commonly accepted, but I'm not sure what it's based on. Is there any research on this?

Azilla
07-24-2004, 01:35 AM
i got rid of mine but then its all brown. :eek:

Shy_Koi
07-24-2004, 02:36 AM
I'm battling something similiar, but honestly never thought it was cyano? It hitch-hiked in on a mushroom rock about 3 months ago. A pretty, burgundy coloured bit of fluff that has never invaded the sandbed, but is starting to creep all over my LR...
It doesn't seem slimey - more like cotton balls. However it does lift up easily in clumps like a mat ...
???
~Tamara

three dawgs
07-24-2004, 05:46 AM
sounds exactly like it. We got a rock with mushrooms about 3 months ago too. So how do you rid it cause it seems to come back the next day

Shy_Koi
07-24-2004, 02:35 PM
So how do you rid it cause it seems to come back the next day

Beats me - I'm pretty new at this :lol:
One thing I didn't mention, is that the stuff I have is a fairly slow grower.

NO3 and PO4 is 0 (although this could be due to the algae taking them up). Low bioload and lights are fairly new. Tank water turnover is x 15. I guess it's all just part of ageing a new tank...
It would be nice to finally get rid of it tho' :rolleyes:
~Tamara