PDA

View Full Version : Silicate removal

tlhood
01-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Hey all,

I have been doing some looking into getting something to help remove silicates from my RO/DI water and my tank. I was reading that the Seachem PhosGuard works to remove Silicates along with Phosphates. Has anyone tried this, or another product, to help reduce the silicates?

mseepman
01-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Take a look at getting the Silicate buster DI cartridges for your RO system. I think reefsupplies.ca on here sells them.

Magickiwi
01-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Hey all,

I have been doing some looking into getting something to help remove silicates from my RO/DI water and my tank. I was reading that the Seachem PhosGuard works to remove Silicates along with Phosphates. Has anyone tried this, or another product, to help reduce the silicates?

I ran Phosguard. At first it seemed to work ok but after a while of using it my tank started to look kinda stressed so I discontinued use. Can't say it did much for slicates but seemed to work OK for phosphates.

Reef Supplies
01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Take a look at getting the Silicate buster DI cartridges for your RO system. I think reefsupplies.ca on here sells them.

yupp, these http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/SilicaBuster-DI-Cartridge-Color-Indicating.html

Reef Pilot
01-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Has anyone done any silicate testing in the lower mainland, esp Langley? What is a good and bad level? I have been battling algae for some time now, and my P04 is pretty low right now, but the algae still isn't totally beat.

tlhood
01-22-2014, 09:32 PM

I have a DI unit connected to my RO unit (its one of the aquasafe ones), but I've been told that the membrane only removes silicates for a short period of time then doesn't work as well against silicates, but works fine against everything else. The unit has only been running for about a month.