PDA

View Full Version : Where do missing fish go?

PFisher
07-21-2004, 05:31 PM
I was just wondering if this is a common problem or if anyone has an explanation. I had a six-line wrasse named Painin for just over two years and last week he just dissapeared. No ammonia spikes, no dried fish on the floor, no cats or dogs. He just dissapeared.

He will be missed. He was a good fish, he lived up to his name at times, but he was a good fish.

Scavenger
07-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Lots of possible answers here. If the fish died of "natural" or other non preditory causes, it was probably consumed by your tanks detrivores. Crabs, bristle worms ect. It could also be you have a preditory crab, mantis shrimp or other nasty in your tank that hitchhiked in on your live rock.

bear27
07-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Ill second that i had a six line disapear on me for 2 weeks finaly found him in a hole in my rock the hermits do a good job

krissyfish20
07-21-2004, 08:12 PM
I've also had a number of fish dissapear on me too. I actually found out that a few of them dissapeared because of an anemone in my tank that would eat smaller fish whole. My boyfriend witnessed this two times. The fish were weak though and unable to swim out. I also have a large pistol shrimp in my tank who is usually peaceful, but if there is food (even that being a large piece such as a dead fish) he will come out and snatch it, bringing it into his hole underneath the live rock. The wrasse might have been weak or sick or something and gotten too close to some little creature in the tank, and got himself snatched up for dinner.

MCC
07-21-2004, 08:21 PM
are you sure yours is dead?!

because i had a six line warasse disappear for two weeks on me too..
but when the lights were out one night i found it swimming out
and now mine is out again during day time..

i dont konw if yours is dead or just hiding..???

because if it is sick it might be hiding....then when it gets better it comes back out again?
i kept on feeding garlic into the water till it decided to come back out...

anywyas that is just my opinion and own experience....

PFisher
07-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the response, I guess that I will have to credit the hermits, bristle worms and cleaner shrimp with this one. So sad, the tank seems to be lacking without him.

I just wish that I knew where to put the little 'Here lies Painin the Wrasse' head stone.