PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this?

robbyville
07-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi all,

About midnight last night while walking by the tank I saw this worm type thing stretched across the front pane. By the time I got the camera it was on the sand and looked like it was finding a hiding place.

It's about 2.5 inches long, and orange in colour. Please tell me this is not a flat worm. Is this anything bad? It pretty much caught me by surprise as I do not have any very new stock and this was the first time I have ever seen this thing!

NB, sorry for the fuzzy picture, no time to adjust the camera. And yep, I'm working on the algae problem still :eek:

Thanks as always!

Rob

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/477Picture_007-med.jpg?9422

Quinn
07-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Bristleworm? They get very large, over a foot in length is actually quite common.

Scavenger
07-21-2004, 05:41 PM
did it look anything like this?? It's hard to tell from the photo.

http://www.seahorse.org/gallery/album63/peanut1

Tigger
07-21-2004, 08:06 PM
it is probably a bristle worm. I have lots in my tank. They are benificial to have in your tank, just don't touch them.

Steve

muck
07-21-2004, 08:21 PM
...just don't touch them.

Is there a reason why you shouldn't touch them, (Not that I would be trying to grab one anyways) but would still like to know... :confused:

Scavenger
07-21-2004, 08:28 PM
...just don't touch them.

Is there a reason why you shouldn't touch them, (Not that I would be trying to grab one anyways) but would still like to know... :confused:

Ever stuck your hand in a wasps nest???? Same reason!

robbyville
07-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the thoughts. I had thought of a bristle worm but I remember seeing them in Tigger's tank and this guy has no legs or bristles that were noticeable, it seemed completely smooth.

Scavenger, it does look like that peanut worm although the head and tail seemed more elongated, but that could have simply been due to his movement through the tank.

I will definitely try to get a pic of it tonight if I can, are peanut worms good or bad?

Other than that, can I feel fairly confident (until the next pic) that this is not a flatworm?

Thanks again,

Rob

Scavenger
07-21-2004, 08:55 PM
I believe peanut worms are harmless. I have a few in my tank and have not noticed them causing any trouble at all. They seem to spend most of their time in holes in the rocks. I don't know for sure but I believe they actually burrow these holes themselves. That's good stuff, it increases the surface area of the rock allowing for more denitrifiying bacteria. The peanut worm in that pic is fully (compressed?) is that the right word? They do stretch out pretty long when moving.

muck
07-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Ever stuck your hand in a wasps nest???? Same reason!
:eek:

robbyville
07-22-2004, 01:35 AM
Yup, I'd say it was fully elongated while moving. About 2.5 inches...quite honestly an ugly little sucker, but I always love to find new things in the tank. :lol: