PDA

View Full Version : Effects of heat?

danny zubot
07-21-2004, 02:13 PM
I have a couple of corals that seem to be degrading and I'm trying to figure out why. I have an elkhorn horn coral that has become thin and it's tenticles haven't come out for sometime now. In addition these yellow colored growths seem to be either growing from it, or perhaps it is the internal skeleton that has been exposed due to the degradation. my torch coral has become pale and it's tenti are less active as of late.

Due to the high temps outside my tank had been hovering around 90 degrees for a couple of days, could this be the reason for these corals to be suffering? My levels are fine accept for my PH (8.0), and has been adjusted using kalk. Fish are fine but my anemones are very lathargic as well.

Any thought? I'm a bit worried because I'll be moving soon and the added stress may be more than some can handle.

AJ_77
07-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Get a stand fan and blow it across the water surface, or even at the tank itself. Anything will help - also read the latest Reef forum posts about frozen water jugs, etc.
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10589&sid=05a00f4ebe267618813739eebe10842e

And when you move, find a nice spot in the basement for your tank. The peace of mind alone is well worth it. :biggrin:

BMW Rider
07-22-2004, 03:31 AM
Basement is a great place for the tank. Mine hasn't gone over 80 degrees so far. I could never keep my 75 gallon tank under 84 in the summer upstairs.

danny zubot
07-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I will have to consider some kind of fan because I'm moving into another appartment, with a west exposure. Hey guys, how much of my old water should I keep, I was thinking half should do.

AJ_77
07-22-2004, 02:42 PM
I will have to consider some kind of fan because I'm moving into another appartment, with a west exposure. Hey guys, how much of my old water should I keep, I was thinking half should do.
Plan to need half, but keep as much as you can. Make up more fresh SW than you think you'll need as well. Moves have a strong Murphy's Law component that may or may not manifest... :eek:

More buckets, more towels, more help, etc... Better safe than sorry. :biggrin: