PDA

View Full Version : Looking for light recommendations

kobelka
01-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Hi there,
I am starting up a 60 gallon 2' cube in which I intend to keep sps. I have from a previous tank a nice looking ice cap 250 w MH pendant. My question is if led is worth me worrying about switching to or is the MH fine.
Thanks
Dave

SteveCGY
01-19-2014, 04:45 PM
I just setup a 60g 2' cube and looked around lots for light and found the evergrow it2060 to be the best overall for price quality and power. I should receive this light anyday and will do a review then.

gqlmao
01-19-2014, 05:13 PM
There is a lot of mix opinions out there on which one people prefer. I personally like MH and T5s over LEDs for SPS. There are a few people on this forum that went back to the older technology after not being happy with LEDs. If you already have a MH setup I would stick with it, its proven method and it will be cheaper for you since you already have the fixture. For Leds you might need 2 units to cover for the shadows since they shoot light like a spotlight.

LoJack
01-19-2014, 05:23 PM
There is a lot of mix opinions out there on which one people prefer. I personally like MH and T5s over LEDs for SPS. There are a few people on this forum that went back to the older technology after not being happy with LEDs. If you already have a MH setup I would stick with it, its proven method and it will be cheaper for you since you already have the fixture. For Leds you might need 2 units to cover for the shadows since they shoot light like a spotlight.

I am one of the people included in this. I switched from LED back to T-5 because I just wasn't happy with the new technology and its results. Not saying LED can't grow corals, I just wasn't happy with my results.

If you are already set up for halide, I'd go with it … on a tank your size, its not like you have 8 bulbs to change every 6 months. Halide is going to be perfect.

tang daddy
01-19-2014, 05:23 PM
^^ very true what gglmao said, to be honest I like a combo of led and t5 which is a hybrid, best of both worlds, great colour with the pop that led brings.
Having said that I would probally do a custom system as the prebuilt ones are abit expensive.

You have to do more research to find your answer. If you run mh it could heat up your tank faster especially on those warmer days, unless you keep the AC on all the time or have a basement.

I have to say trying all 3 I like the t5 the most for colour.
Used t5 fixtures are cheap and when ordering bulbs online very inexpensive. I run 3 t5 fixtures ATM 2 8 bulb 4', and 1 4 bulb 3'.
Lights per year runs me about $440 but I change my bulbs every 16months so not that bad.

kobelka
01-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your input. It seems there are a lot of opinions. Anyone have any first hand experience with the lumia 5.1 from ledgroupbuy?