PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers...PM V626 vs Bullet 2

Son Of Skyline
09-16-2002, 12:31 AM
I'm desperately searching for the right skimmer for my new system (120gal will be all sps) but the prices are starting to kill me! Can anyone comment on the PM V626 CC/venturi skimmer? It's significantly less expensive than the Bullet 2 which may be my choice if I can't find another skimmer comparable in performance. I just don't want to spend $630 on a skimmer if there's a better choice. Thanks in advance.

Mason

titus
09-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Hello,

Generally speaking a properly designed and adjusted airstone skimmer can out perform the latest Beckett/ETSS/SprayInjection variant. However, driving nice CC/airstone means dedicated large airpump with tall reaction chambers. As for venturi based, what I have been seeing ain't convinced me that they are as good as Beckett based skimmers.

How soon do you need the skimmer and what's your budget? The Bullet is not bad in price really for the quality of craftsmanship but could have a few things improved.

Titus

Son Of Skyline
09-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the reply Titus. I really do need (want) a skimmer asap and I don't really have a budget, but I'm extremely hesitant to spend the $900+ (inc. pump) I'll need to run the Bullet 2. I thought to myself that even $600 in total for a skimmer would be alot, but now it seems like it would be a great deal! I guess I should try looking into used skimmers.

So beckett injection is the way to go huh?

Jayson
09-16-2002, 11:21 PM
I agree with Titus about the bullet. There are alot of good beckett injection skimmers on the market that will fit into your price range. I would suggest looking aroundfor a used one. $600.00 for everything is a good deal.

Aquattro
09-17-2002, 02:30 AM
Mason, check out www.myreefcreations.com. (http://www.myreefcreations.com.) Andy might be able to supply you with something well below your budget.

stephane
09-17-2002, 02:46 AM
Titus

Did you still make and sale Becket skimmer???

stephane
09-17-2002, 03:00 AM
Mason

I have mess whith a lot of skimmer and ended with only one conclusion

pound to pound they mosly are equal and whith a 120 you beter buy right at first or you will end
buying twice

Like titus said a couter curent could blown away
a becket skimer but you will need more than a 75$ air pumps to do it so that why I recomend you a becket skimer run with a mag 18 then you will have the best for your $ IMO

Here a couple of good link on skimmer knowlege

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72675&highlight=becket

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86432&perpage=25&highlight=becket&pagenumber=1

hope this help!!!

stephane
09-17-2002, 03:05 AM
Ho! and if you want to see some of those monster in action.......

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76922&perpage=25&highlight=becket&pagenumber=1

Doug
09-17-2002, 10:14 AM
Myreef, :eek:

Well if nobody else will say it, we have two aquarists here, who both build top quality products.

Titus, of course, is the owner of the board and Canreef, which does make beckett skimmers.

Also Jayson, of Saltwater Connection, builds top quality beckett skimmers,{search my posts for mine}. I know Jaysons can be purchased for around $450. And about $225 for pump, frpm someone like him or your own JL Aquatics.

You could also order a Euroreef for about $900, :D

Delphinus
09-17-2002, 11:16 AM
I'd like to see some of these counter-current skimmers. Anyone have any good links with info and pics?

Aquattro
09-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Doug:

Titus, of course, is the owner of the board and Canreef, which does make beckett skimmers.

Also Jayson, of Saltwater Connection, builds top quality beckett skimmers,{search my posts for mine}. I know Jaysons can be purchased for around $450. And about $225 for pump, frpm someone like him or your own JL Aquatics.

:D <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Doug, as Mason was concerned over spending $600+, that puts Titus out of the game. If Jayson has a skimmer for $450, that is competitive with Andy's price after exchange, duty, etc. MAG 18 pumps can be found for under $200 at any hydroponics store I've ever visited.

reefburnaby
09-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I have one of these 6 feet CC skimmers. They are very nice (in performance) and they do a pretty good job. I still have to run carbon (i.e. it is not that good), but the tank isn't as yellow as it used to be.

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/snailmandiy.htm

I have a 4" diameter by 6 feet one on my 90 gallon. It is driven by a TetraTec Deep DW96-2 air pump -- a bit loud, but it is solid pump. Cost is about $200 for the whole thing - $130 for the air pump. For a better air pump, you'll have to get one of those nasty Hagen "The Pump". The only problem I have with this skimmer is its size...it doesn't fit underneath the stand.

- Victor.

Aquattro
09-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Victor, from everything I've read on skimmers, they aren't supposed to remove the yellow coloration.

Doug
09-17-2002, 01:14 PM
The $225 for a pump, would be for a Mak 4. Agreed, a Mag 18 is cheaper.

It would be hard to beat Jaysons quality & prices, on any US ordered or made quality skimmers.

Perhaps, as mentioned, the used market may be the way to go. I have purchased some fine products, from US aquarists.

I am also thinking of building a large counter current. Airpumps are a major concern. I could not drive either model I had before, with a TetraTec. Just not enough power for 3 or 4 airstones in a large model. I was going to use a piston pump.

Here are some excellent plans.

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman.htm (http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman.html)

[ 17 September 2002, 09:16: Message edited by: Doug ]

reefburnaby
09-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Hi,

I don't know, but I swear that my tank doesn't look as yellow as it used to.

So, what makes the yellowing compounds difficult to remove ? Is it a non-polar molecule ?

- Victor.

reefburnaby
09-17-2002, 01:52 PM
Doug,

Wow, you must have had a really big CC skimmer. Did you try a TetraTec pump or a TetraTec Deep pump ?

- Victor.

Son Of Skyline
09-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I guess I'm going used. Problem is that I'd like to get the skimmer running asap as I'm also planning on adding alot of live rock to the system as soon as I get the skimmer in.

Doug
09-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Victor;
I had a 3 inch model, made by Rons Saltwater Heaven. I had the same model air pump you mentioned. It drove that model.

However it had a very skinny neck, which restricted skimming. We built a new model, 4in. by 5ft. The air pump would not make enough foam, with two airstones. Many of RC, have had the same results, with large cc skimmers.

Check out the thread in the DIY section. Snailmans skimmer.

I tried out a used Hagen Model 70 The Pump. Now that had some power. But it crapped a couple of hours into use. :(

titus
09-18-2002, 02:55 PM
Hello,

Oops how did I miss this thread? Anyway, yes I do build skimmers when ordered but mostly on custom stuff now.

If you can find some good skimmers that you want here locally from the used market, then go and grab it. Afterall, skimmers don't age like cars do. They just work as great. You just have to clean them.

Beckett/Downdraft/Spray Injection/Venturi are convenient because you don't need to keep replacing the airstone on the CC/airstone type skimmers. So keep that in mind. But I really hated the Precision Marine old style Bullet because their so called Bullet would clog up from time to time and you'd have to shut down the thing just to soak it in vinegar for the salt to dis-lodge, in addition to a ton of bubbles returned. I believe their new ones were modelled after both the Canreef CS-2, and the Aerofoamer injector housing. :D

Titus