PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizers... sup wit dem?

WarDog
01-17-2014, 05:31 AM
Just noticed J&L has 10% off UV Sterilizers. I am wondering how many reefers are using them? Is it a good idea to run one? 24/7 or just a few hours a day? Does it hurt Pods? Please share your experiences and thoughts, Thanks!

craigwmiller
01-17-2014, 05:59 AM
I don't run one since I'm using a bacteria-based system (ZEOvit in my case).

If you are interested in running ZEOvit, ProdiBio, BioPellets, or Vodka, I would recommend against it, since UV will not do well to the bacteria you are trying to culture...

If you are looking at a more time-tested method (refugium with chaeto, and tuns of live rock) well, the "survey says" it's likely a good idea.

gregzz4
01-18-2014, 05:22 AM
This is a good read (http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumuvsterilization.html#flow)

I run a UV 24/7/365 on both my DT and QT

The QT is a slower flow/higher contact time setup to deal with whatever any new fish may have. I run it @ about 10gph/watt to kill everything that goes through it
This still only takes care of what actually passes through it as you can't turn over your whole tank with a little tube

In my DT I run a simple single contact 15w unit running @ around 20gph/w and takes care of algaes and such. It's plumbed directly to my chiller and keeps crap from building up in the tubes, and it helps keep my water clear

UV breaks down free-floating single-celled algaes and causes them to clump, thus they are taken up by socks so I like it

There have been times when my filter socks have built up with green stuff and I know where it came from

Reef Pilot
01-18-2014, 02:42 PM
I run a UV 24/7/365 on both my DT and QT

I didn't realize, Greg, that you were running UV in your tanks. I have no idea if there is any scientific or anecdotal backing for this, but does UV kill any bacteria or other micro organisms in your tank that are beneficial to your tank ecosystem and corals?

And I do remember you saying a while back that you thought your system was "too clean" and your corals may not be getting enough nutrients. Could the UV system have anything to do with that?

Aquattro
01-18-2014, 03:12 PM
I would have to say that UV is the last thing I would ever worry about running on my tank. I don't think it would hurt anything, but if I had spare money, I'd invest in more flow, controllers, more anthias, and maybe some beer.

don.ald
01-18-2014, 03:14 PM
I would have to say that UV is the last thing I would ever worry about running on my tank. I don't think it would hurt anything, but if I had spare money, I'd invest in more flow, controllers, more anthias, and maybe some beer.

Hmmm never tried dosing with beer?

Reef Pilot
01-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Haha,... beer would be the cheapest...

CM125
01-18-2014, 03:15 PM
I did alot of research on UV a while back when were having some cyano issues, couldnt really see any major benefits of it. Like said above, dont think it hurts, but way better things to spend money on.

Aquattro
01-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Hmmm never tried dosing with beer?

Really? It's the latest thing!

don.ald
01-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Really? It's the latest thing!
Always something new.
The next thing ya know, is everyone will start selling off their LEDs

Reef Pilot
01-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Always something new.
The next thing ya know, is everyone will start selling off their LEDs
Yeah, am just waiting for someone to report they are going back to incandescent, with some of those blue covered bulbs. Bet the corals will really look nice. And bonus, can throw away all your heaters...

gregzz4
01-18-2014, 05:03 PM
I didn't realize, Greg, that you were running UV in your tanks.
My corals are doing better now that I have enough fish poop to feed them
I'm not concerned about killing beneficial bacteria in the water column, and the flow rate is only 30% of my sump flow. It keeps my chiller internals clean and does keep my water clear
Maybe down the road I'll try turning it off for awhile and see what happens, but I wouldn't want to find my chiller became plugged with critters

I've heard about this beer dosing trend but, funny thing, everytime I think to try it the box is empty

Reef Pilot
01-18-2014, 05:07 PM
My corals are doing better now that I have enough fish poop to feed them
I'm not concerned about killing beneficial bacteria in the water column, and the flow rate is only 30% of my sump flow. It keeps my chiller internals clean and does keep my water clear
Maybe down the road I'll try turning it off for awhile and see what happens, but I wouldn't want to find my chiller became plugged with critters

I've heard about this beer dosing trend but, funny thing, everytime I think to try it the box is empty
Well, if it is any help to know, my chiller has been running steady for almost 14 years now, and no signs of plugging or losing effectiveness. And no UV.

gregzz4
01-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Well, if it is any help to know, my chiller has been running steady for almost 14 years now, and no signs of plugging or losing effectiveness. And no UV.
That's good to know. Thanks
I'll PM you as the rest isn't thread relevent