PDA

View Full Version : Oceans Motions Revolutions

Richer
07-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Since no one has actually posted anything about the Revolution (http://www.oceansmotions.com), I thought I would write something up.

Some background info:
The tank is a barebottom 30 gallon (36x12x16) tank, with a 15 gallon sump. The tank is run by one primary return pump (Mag950) which is plumbed through a SCWD. With the SCWD I did notice some decent random flow in the tank (judging from watching the debri in the water column, and the xenia waving around).

However, decent is never good enough, I wanted some great random flow. I picked up a couple Revolutions from www.aquaria.ca. I got the 360 degree 3/4" models (model 2). I got this model for a couple of reasons. The 3/4" opening was the largest opening that they had... this just happened to match the output opening of the SCWD and would maximize output flow. I got the 360 degree model, because I figured having the flow bounce off of the glass would create some interesting indirect flow.

On with the review!

Its fairly simple to hook this thing up. The end of the revolution which goes into your return line is threaded, so a 3/4" male adapter is needed. This little toy is pretty much plug and play if you have a device that switches flow from one output to another. This thing will only work on an output that is constantly turning on and off. Hooking the Revolutions up to a powerhead which is hooked into a wavemaker will also work.

The good news:
- Device is pretty much plug and play
- Lots of random flow. A lot of the debri that was on the bottom of the tank was blown up and into the water column. Xenia is waving around more randomly than before, debri don't even have a chance to settle down anymore.
- Little/no flow restriction

The bad news:
- Device is a bit bulky, though not nearly as bulky as a powerhead. In the beginning, the device had problems rotating, because the nozzle kept on bumping in the glass. I ended up having to redo my return lines so that I could move the devices further away from the glass walls.
- All flow is directed downwards at a 45 degree angle. Before, I had quite a bit of surface movement from my return lines, but now that most of the flow is directed towards the bottom of the tank, I'm thinking about adding a powerhead for surface aggitation. It would be nice if the user can direct the water stream.

So far, I've had it running for only an hour or so, but everything seems to be working well. I will update later on, if any updates are needed.

-Richer

guysmiley
07-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks alot for being the test subject! :biggrin:

muck
07-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Rich,

Can you post some pictures of your oceansmotion up and running?

Richer
07-22-2004, 02:46 AM
Unforunately, pictures won't do this thing any justice... nor will a video actually. The only thing you would see would be two plastic things bobbing up and down. Just so you get an idea about how randomized the flow in my tank is now... a mushroom coral I had tied down with a rubberband came loose again. Now if it was in my old setup, I would know exactly where it would be... but now with the Revolutions in place, I have no idea where they are. They definately aren't in any place visable :eek:

-Richer