PDA

View Full Version : Can I add coral to a tank

Dive_dry
01-17-2014, 05:26 AM
My question is can I add coral to my tank that I have to let run foul for 3 mounts as it got hit with velvet it will have no fish in it. ::laluot_26: I don't want to rise the white flag.

I shut down my 70 I had running for 3ys it was mostly a softy tank now I want to do SPS and I would like to at least get the coral started while the tank runs its course . It has been running since the end of oct. fish all but 1 went tu last week

Dive_dry
01-17-2014, 05:42 AM
Here is a pic of my tank before I removed my tang

craigwmiller
01-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Not sure there is enough information to go on to give a firm recommendation yet. Can we start with some tank parameters?

Phosphates, Nitrates, Salinity, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Temperature.

What are they currently, and what are your plans to hold them steady for SPS to thrive? It's not specifically so much the exact values (so long as they are in the right range to start), but how you plan to keep them consistent.

Then for kicks what lighting: (not as important, unless it's from IKEA :biggrin: )

Dive_dry
01-17-2014, 06:01 AM
they are were they all need to be, cal reactor dosing pump, gfo,bio pellets,live food brine shrimp,phyto soon rotifer. I have several tanks next project is to build my 330g I have the glass just have to assemble it and make the stand

Dive_dry
01-17-2014, 06:17 AM
My question is more I don't want velvet to show up after letting the tank sit fish less by starting to move all my frags and colonies over from my frag tank.Then find out that they can carry the bug somehow and then find out that all my new fish that Im QT get velvet and then I do this :israel::frusty:

craigwmiller
01-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Hmm, a long reply of mine seems to have been lost in the internets (though possibly cross posted to another thread too :D)

I don't personally I would be worried about cross-contamination after 3 months. The life cycle (in my past research on Ich & Velvet) without fish is at tops 30 days, but in warmer temperatures even shorter. 3x that time I would likely be a player if it were me.

Aquattro
01-17-2014, 06:50 AM
As long as there are no fish in it for 3 months, you'll be fine. Now it is possible to add it in water if you got a coral from an infected tank. However, it's nt likely that you would do that as an infected tank is fairly obvious fairly quickly.

I do have some pieces here for you still, if you want to start adding. I just needed a break from playing in the tank for a bit, I'll reply to your PM for the weekend.

gregzz4
01-18-2014, 05:03 AM
To add to what Brad stated, it's OK to add things to a tank that is sitting fallow, but what you add may bring with it 'things', so it's best to dip or better yet quarantine stuff before you add it to your tank
Just don't ever add ANY corals to your tank without first dipping and thoroughly inspecting

As for the corals you have in QT that were in the tank that had velvet; let them sit for the 3 months before they go back into your DT

What are you doing with the 1 fish you have left ?

Dive_dry
01-18-2014, 05:30 AM
He is in QT the tuff guy he didn't even get a spot

Aquattro
01-18-2014, 11:43 AM
He is in QT the tuff guy he didn't even get a spot

He'll still need to be treated as he could be a carrier.