PDA

View Full Version : Chemi-clean feedback

gregzz4
01-16-2014, 04:14 AM
I realize there has been much ado lately, and in the past, concerning this product ...
I've found previous posts and see it has been used in the past by many of our members, but there hasn't been any 'lasting effects' posts added to the threads

I'm looking for feedback from those who have used it in the past ( not recently if it was your first time )

I'd like to hear about your long-term effects concerning things such as; dino outbreaks, hair algae, cyano returns ... whatever you'd like to tell us about

Not looking to have this become a discussion about husbandry or other chemical type product uses, just feedback about Chemi-clean

Thanks for any input :smile:

SoloSK71
01-16-2014, 04:20 AM
Used it 10 months ago, nothing came back until I introduced a frag what had some green algae ... so far under control w/ clean up crew

Skimmer went into over production mode for a good 5 days after, but water changes caught that eventually

Charles

asylumdown
01-16-2014, 04:24 AM
I've used it in my tank twice now. The first time was probably in the spring or summer and I don't think I used enough of it or for long enough and the cyano came back within a week, but other than that and a skimmer that went crazy for days, there were no other effects.

This most recent time, according to date stamps on posts here, was just about exactly a month ago. This time after the 20% water change at the 48 hour mark, I did a second dose to try and make sure I'd killed it all. Strangely, even though I know it's not supposed to work on them, the dusting of dinos that have waxed and waned on my sand bed for the better part of a year (and I've confirmed their identity under a microscope) utterly vanished. I only let the second treatment go for 24 hours because my elegance coral and one of my frogspawns were starting to look a little worse for wear, so I did the 20% water change, dropped a bag of carbon in my filter sock, and skimmed wet until the skimmer went back to normal (about 3 days). When I did that last water change I tested my phosphate levels and they had jumped from 0.00 on a hanna checker to 0.05.

After that I started an aggressive dosing campaign of MB7 (the tank runs biopellets) and changed the GFO every few days for a couple of weeks.

January 15th and there isn't a trace of the cyano. All corals are doing just fine, though I think I might have driven the nutrients too low.

I know some people say they've nuked their tanks with this stuff, but I've never seen so much as a reaction from anything, other than the widespread death of cyano bacteria.

gregzz4
01-16-2014, 04:43 AM
I know some people say they've nuked their tanks with this stuff
From what I can find on the web, I would attribute this to either over-dosing due to a lack of true system volume knowledge, or a lack of oxygenation

brotherd
01-16-2014, 04:46 AM
No damage at all after second outbreak and treatment but I confess I did not use it full strength. I still have 2 small patches in the display and a 5cm area on the front panel of the refugium.

gregzz4
01-16-2014, 04:48 AM
No damage at all after second outbreak and treatment but I confess I did not use it full strength. I still have 2 small patches in the display and a 5cm area on the front panel of the refugium.
So you dosed it 2 different times ?
When was that ?

Aquattro
01-16-2014, 04:55 AM
Used it once a while back, full dose, left it in for a week. No issues. Skimmer wasn't happy for while tho :)

gregzz4
01-16-2014, 05:00 AM
No issues
As in, nothing has come back, no Dinos or other outbreaks etc ?

Evilweevil
01-16-2014, 05:03 AM
Used it once and lost my clam and some inverts I had the skimmer running and overflowing into the sump looking back I would have to agree with gregzz I may have overdosed only by a little though but it sure got rid of all the cyano fo sho!!!

Aquattro
01-16-2014, 05:16 AM
As in, nothing has come back, no Dinos or other outbreaks etc ?

Nope. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again, if I ever needed to.

Ram3500
01-16-2014, 05:25 AM
I have been reefng for about six years and I have never run into a cyno problem. BUT once I started using bio pellets back in August soon after the cyno came. I used Chemi-clean for he first time in October after being very hesitant about putting something in my tank with the name "chemo-clean " sounds like a floor cleaner. It works ! and it work great just make sure to take you skimmer cup off or you will have a big mess :)

brotherd
01-16-2014, 05:27 AM
So you dosed it 2 different times ?
When was that ?

First time was roughly mid summer I think an then again this past November around the 21st. It's lingering but I may hit it again soon. Each treatment seems to reduce its strength in returning. Last time I treated I increased Prodibio to boost bacteria after the course.

EmilyB
01-16-2014, 05:37 AM
I've used it occasionally....always babysat the skimmer afterwards, and it got rid of cyano.

gregzz4
01-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the input everybody

I'm not looking for instructions or immediate result stories here

This thread is for long-term after effects

Reef Pilot
01-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Last time I used Chemiclean was almost 3 years ago, when I couldn't get rid of it. I used MB7 as a preventative after that and never had a problem again.

I only did one Chemiclean treatment, changed the water, and did not see any short term or long term adverse effects. Having said that, I did not have any SPS at that time, just LPS and softies.

Ron99
01-16-2014, 05:32 PM
I've been hearing some good feedback on KZ cyanoclean lately. It does seem to take 7 or 8 weeks to work but you aren't killing all sorts of other beneficial bacteria in the tank etc.

darkreef
01-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Waste of money , I used it , came back with a army a month later .

So I bought a better skimmer , up my flow , and purged my sand and rocks every water change . Never comes back .

Sometimes it will show on the top of my over flow , but it never spreads and just tells me I need to do a little bigger of a water change this time and it goes away .

Find the problem . Chemiclean should only be used to save frags and corals from being choked to death .

Also have patience , it eventually will give up if you don't first .

lastlight
01-16-2014, 07:04 PM
i've done 3 treatments over the course of about a year. it goes away but it does come back after a few months. this time around i'm upping my use of a turkey baster as it's nowhere near coral choking power and i'm trying to beat or manage it without adding chemicals.

The Guy
01-16-2014, 07:44 PM
I used it once, it seemed to work but my skimmer was mad at me for days.
Over all I don't think I would use it again, I use MB7 now as suggested by " reef pilot" and seems to help a lot. :smile:

AquaPin
01-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Used it roughly 9 months ago; worked great for what it needed to do. No issues aside from the skimmer taking nearly a week to stabilize. While using the chemiclean, I just took the collection cup off the skimmer and it became a super oxygenator for the tank.