PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning kit

Abe
01-16-2014, 01:51 AM
Good Day all. After being away for a very long time being busy with the new baby and travelling with work, I didn't have time to come here or do any husbandry work on my tank. So it looks very bad now lol. I was thinking of shutting it down at one point but changed my mind couple of weeks ago and I am planning to continue with the hobby that I love :). The tank needs lot's of work to get it where I want. I will get there slowly for sure. My question tho, is what you guys use or recommand to clean the glass with, I mean to get rid of those hard algea that needs to be scarpped off. I have a magnatic scarper now that I use for daily cleaning but I need something strong and good quality thats last for a while. Thanks.

IanWR
01-16-2014, 02:52 AM
I have "the flipper", and it works a treat. The magnets are not anywhere near as strong as most other mag cleaners, but it has a blade on one side scrapes off harder stuff. I also like that it has a slim profile to clean those spots where you put the rock too close.

BlueTang<3
01-16-2014, 03:49 AM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cl-mrzebl/Easy+Blade+Scraper+Attachment+for+Cleaning+Magnets .html

Best thing ever

spit.fire
01-16-2014, 04:04 AM
Credit cards work good

SoloSK71
01-16-2014, 04:21 AM
Single edge razor blade and a lot of time :(

Charles

gregzz4
01-16-2014, 04:29 AM
Welcome back :biggrin:

I only clean my back glass 'when I feel like it', so I probably have some of what you do. That stuff won't come off very easily with my easy blade attachment

For that really heavy/thick stuff I like to use a Kent Pro Scraper with the Stainless attachment (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=mc-proscz81)

The coralline and other stuff comes off with hardly any effort at all, and the blade takes off film stuff too

The new Kent ProScraper II is a kit and comes in a couple different lengths

gregzz4
01-16-2014, 04:37 AM
I should add, as you asked about longevity ...

I've had my 3 different length Kent handles for over 3 years, and still use the original attachments - no new plastic or stainless blade purchases yet

Abe
01-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks Gregzz4, That was my choice as well but wanted to see if people have anything better. I think I will order that soon. :)

gregzz4
01-18-2014, 02:05 AM
Thanks Gregzz4, That was my choice as well but wanted to see if people have anything better. I think I will order that soon. :)
You're welcome
And please, call me Greg. It's much easier to type :wink:

Abe
01-18-2014, 02:58 AM
lol Thanks Greg.