PDA

View Full Version : tap water in surrey Question ?

mohammadali
01-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Hi all i was wondering who else is using tap water in their reef tank ?
anybody can give me 70G RO/DI water filtered in surrey central thanks ? :)

canadianbudz604
01-14-2014, 05:21 PM
In the summer my tap water tests 3-10ppm, yesterday probably because of all the rain it's testing 100ppm

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Been using Burnaby tapwater for years. The water quality around here is excellent, especially after the upgrades for the 2010 Olympics. I also like to do mine before (not after) a major rainfall if possible.

pinkreef
01-14-2014, 05:58 PM
I use tap water for water changes and brita water for top ups

Ryanerickson
01-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I am in surrey mine tap water is always between 10-12 ppm never seen higher then twelve 100 ppm even if there has been a storm seems high. I had readings like that when I moved into the house I am in it turned out the main water supply coming from road was corroded we had it replaced with a poly line from the road now I never get higher then 12.

Ryanerickson
01-14-2014, 07:32 PM
By the way I use ro water I always had issues with algae using tap water

mohammadali
01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Tbh I never test my water .
I'm setting up a new RSM250 so should I be using RO water or just tap water ?

canadianbudz604
01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Tap water works for lots of people, for myself I used it once and I didn't know that they were fixing the piping around my house the day before and it crashed my tank. Ro unit is enough, I haven't had a single problem using it.

chef
01-14-2014, 09:26 PM
I used tap water with Brita filter when I first moved to whistler. Figured clean glacier water must b incredible. In reality probably full of minerals, etc. Had algae issues and coral was never happy. Recently bought an RO/DI unit and man have things turned around!

Slyguy00
01-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Tap water caused me nothing but problems in the beginning. I use ro now and will never use tap water again. Iv seen abbotsford water test anywhere from 3 ppm all the way up to 225. Ro is always 0. Enough said

straightrazorguy
01-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Than't because in Abbottsford you guys use a different water source. In Metro Vancouver the water quality is pretty consistent, with slightly higher TDS following major rainstorm events. I use straight New West tap water and I'm pretty happy.

Slyguy00
01-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Than't because in Abbottsford you guys use a different water source. In Metro Vancouver the water quality is pretty consistent, with slightly higher TDS following major rainstorm events. I use straight New West tap water and I'm pretty happy.

Thats true. But anything above 1 ppm is to much for me

Aquattro
01-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Which water to use is a matter of priorities. Tap water in the GVRD is generally good enough for a reef, unless it isn't on some particular occasion.
Construction or some other form of contamination could wipe out your whole tank. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in 20 years.
If you have 2 x $5 frags and a damsel, maybe it doesn't matter. If you have $500 worth of coral that you've grown from frags, maybe it matters.
So for the cost of a RO unit, you eliminate that possibility. It's peace of mind.

Sure, nobody wants to spend an extra $200, but if it saves your tank one day, you gotta think it's worth it.

hillegom
01-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Which water to use is a matter of priorities. Tap water in the GVRD is generally good enough for a reef, unless it isn't on some particular occasion.
Construction or some other form of contamination could wipe out your whole tank. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in 20 years.
If you have 2 x $5 frags and a damsel, maybe it doesn't matter. If you have $500 worth of coral that you've grown from frags, maybe it matters.
So for the cost of a RO unit, you eliminate that possibility. It's peace of mind.

Sure, nobody wants to spend an extra $200, but if it saves your tank one day, you gotta think it's worth it.

+1

spit.fire
01-14-2014, 11:15 PM

+1
Lots of people try to control what goes in there tanks, why add an unknown variable when you don't need to and have the "what if" variable

By running ro you know your water is good and you're not leaving anything to chance.

I don't live in surrey but every time I've used only tap water (low Tds) I've always had issues with algae. Best purchase i made IMO is my vertex ro/di unit

Also you don't need to spend ~400$ on an ro/di filter, there's a few companies out there with very reasonably priced entry level filters

chef
01-15-2014, 12:13 AM
+1

By running ro you know your water is good and you're not leaving anything to chance.

I don't live in surrey but every time I've used only tap water (low Tds) I've always had issues with algae. Best purchase i made IMO is my vertex ro/di unit

Yep, I have the same unit. Spending over $300 on a maintenance item sure isn't as fun as buying fish and coral. It's pretty much a necessity if you are aiming for success and the long haul. Heck, i've had that much in coral and fish die on me multiple times in the past

mohammadali
01-16-2014, 12:07 AM
thanks all ,
so who can give ma 70 gallon RO/Di water ? :)

Aquattro
01-16-2014, 12:47 AM
thanks all ,
so who can give ma 70 gallon RO/Di water ? :)

Maybe an RO water store. Trade them for some money :)

If you want to use RO, buy a unit. After the 70, you'll need some more for water changes. Bumming water might get old after a while.

monocus
01-16-2014, 01:20 AM
that's about 14 pails of water-i can filter that in one day.bring some buckets with lids by

mohammadali
01-16-2014, 06:09 AM
yea sure ill buy a RO filter asap and ill come by to pick up soon
Thanks Bill