PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate Removers

DSlater
01-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Running a Phosban Reactor 550 on our 220g with 80g sump.

Picked up a 5kg bucket of the Rowa Phos thinking we could go longer between changes. Problem is that at anything more than a trickle, it just wants to pump half the granules back into the system. Either that or I have to pre-rinse and loose half before I start.

Anyone have similar issues with the Rowa being to fine? Is standard GFO the best way to go with the Phosban 550?

Thanks

canadianbudz604
01-12-2014, 10:09 PM
What do you have the reactor hooked up to? It should be a slow "boil". Rowaphos is very fine and breaks up pretty easily, u just need to have the flow through your reactor so it's "boiling" you could always hook up with Eli and order some bulk Gfo which isn't as fine as rowaphos

Cal_stir
01-12-2014, 11:27 PM
I run 2 BRS reactors, each with 400ml, in parallel to increase flow.

hfp75
01-13-2014, 12:16 AM
I just tried the bulk gfo and wasn't impressed at all. I just got phosguard & rowa to test out!!

I'll let ya know my results...

Rowa is a slow boil.... Not to much flow or it'll fly all over and not have time to pull out the po4

Cal_stir
01-13-2014, 02:09 AM
I just tried the bulk gfo and wasn't impressed at all. I just got phosguard & rowa to test out!!

I'll let ya know my results...

Rowa is a slow boil.... Not to much flow or it'll fly all over and not have time to pull out the po4The high capacity GFO is a larger particle size and doesn't break down as fast and can handle more flow, also it can be regenerated.

DSlater
01-13-2014, 02:47 AM
Cal

I was just reading up on the high capacity GFO. Do you find it lasts that much longer? The reg bulk GFO worked ok but seemed to hit capacity too soon.

Might just put the rowa aside and bag it up for the nano. Just cant get enough flow through it to be effective on our DT without sending it flying back through the system.

Also read the phosguard is an aluminum based product that works faster that the iron based GFO. Can remove phosphates too quickly when used in a reactor on a smaller system.

Cal_stir
01-13-2014, 02:54 AM
Yes the HC lasts longer, and you can flow more through it, I change mine every 3 weeks to be safe because without a reliable test kit for po4 it's hard to say how long for sure, I regenerate it about 10 times before it gets too fine to use anymore.

The Grizz
01-13-2014, 03:06 AM
Yes the HC lasts longer, and you can flow more through it, I change mine every 3 weeks to be safe because without a reliable test kit for po4 it's hard to say how long for sure, I regenerate it about 10 times before it gets too fine to use anymore.

What is the process to regenerate?

Cal_stir
01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
What is the process to regenerate?

This is the link, I skip the acid wash and use a Rio 400 pump cuz the maxijets don't last, I use lye crystals from Home Hardware.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/10/chemistry