6 chromis
3 urchins
nassarius snails
7 hermiths

bubble coral
zoos
GSP patches
some macro algaes ( cheato- caulerpa, red algae) In starfire display refugium
Recent algae diatom bloom, because i fed the zoos which i'm told i should of done.

2 Dc pumps 950gph running to both the display refugiums and starfire tank
Reef Octopus 3000 working not really skimming anything.
Running GFO and carbon reactors
Lights 12 h cycles with including 3 h of actinics
Powerheads 5 controlable Tunze 6095 and 6055 in both tanks.

Display refugium feeding Reef by gravity.

Both tanks 2 " sand bed. Last water change 2 days ago.

How do i deal with this high alkalinity? Thanks for your time.

craigwmiller
01-12-2014, 04:28 PM
First I would check your salinity and alk against another test kit to make sure it is accurate.

Also what is your Calcium and Magnesium levels? Are they equally as high?

Can you also test your fresh mix salt water to see what the numbers are there? (if your tests are confirmed by a second kit, then you end to start finding the source.)

xenon
01-12-2014, 04:43 PM
What are your calcium levels at?

Have a look at Tropic Marin Alka Balance.

"To safely reduce alkalinity while simultaneously increasing the calcium level"

http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/homepage.html

We have this product in stock if you need it.

The only other alternative would be to do a large water change with a salt that is low in alk (Tropic Marin Pro Reef).

Basile
01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Some say it could be my salt as well it instant ocean, i'll do my calcium test and the other test as well.

craigwmiller
01-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Some say it could be my salt as well it instant ocean, i'll do my calcium test and the other test as well.

It could be, yep -- which is why you should test your freshly made up water :wink:

Basile
01-12-2014, 09:57 PM
This is the thing; with a normal cycle 6-8 weeks your rocks , specialy dry rock will leach its things in the water and you'll get rid of it through water changes. But in my case i used a bio product to jumpstart the tanks with 24 h i could put live stuff in it. The rocks although full of bacterias haven't leach their loads of chemicals yet and i'm stuck with it now with live things in the tanks...... that could be it. Yep i did it be cause my seeding fuge was dying and the stuff in it too and i was affraid for the chromis too they ahd already did their quarantine and well i had waited since june for this ... i thought i was getting ahaed, maybe not. Hopefully it won't kill anything yet. Thanks guys.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/Basilesim/Mon%20systeme/Photo314.jpg

mrhasan
01-12-2014, 11:55 PM

I wanted to ask whether you are using IO but didn't want a rage so didn't ask :razz: IO is known for variability and its not very ULNS friendly. But its still a good salt....well all salts are good, you just have to find out which one suits your need :)

Basile
01-13-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys, from friends and many sources we came to the conclusion it has to be my rocks, the dry rocks have to leach their chemicals, and they do usually in the 2 months we give are tanks to cycle. I used a product to cycle my tank in 24 hours so the leaching is normal and the process wil occur while i have my critters in. No biggy but important that i do my water changes to eliminate those mood swings from the tank lol. The tank is evolving as its should. I'm just a bit too ahead for it lol.

Basile
01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Ok well this tank sure has its mood swings; my fresh sw has a 12.1 KH , and this afternoon i took another reading because my stool was out and fully extended, reading 11.5 KH so the tank is making adjustment by itself, and the fact that my skimmers is taking out stuff might have something to do with it, someone mentioned the breakdown of of nutrients who knows, i might of caught a spike in the process. very interesting anyway thank you all..