PDA

View Full Version : 125 gallon reef sump setup

2bafish
01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
I am setting up a 125 72 inch reef tank. I need some help setting up a sump. The sump will be 48 inches long. Any help would be appreciated. Or any links to good info sites. Thanks guys.
I attached a pic of what I came up with so far. Only change so far would be that I want to reduce the 90 degree elbows and change them to 45 degrees. I guess it would help with the flow.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/12/3avy6u6y.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

IanWR
01-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I see you have put ball valves on your drain lines. I hope it is not to restrict the drain, as you don't have an emergency overflow. I would fear a potential flood at some point. You also have your socks tied to your drains, i would suggest using sock holders. This would be to avoid a possible flood if for any reason you failed to change your socks. The other suggestion would be to run your reactors off your return pump. You can include extra valves for possible future expansion (GFO, GAC, uv, water change outlet, etc).

reefmandan
01-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Are you drilling your tank? I think it's very important to include an emergency drain, which can also function as a trickle when using a herbie style overflow. If this tank is reef ready, it should be drilled twice in each overflow. I would suggest using one hole as a drain, one as a trickle/emergency, and on the other overflow use one as a trickle/emergency and the other as your return. This will also cut down on the number of ball valves, as you would only need one for the siphon drain. Trickle drains do not require ball valves. I would also suggest a check valve for your return line, depending on what kind of back-siphon situation it could cause.

Using your return pump as a feed for reactors is great, but can add a little extra vibration, so keep that in mind. On a tank that size, I don't think the heat from extra small pumps will matter much, really the only downside is having to use an extra plug.

I'm not sure about your ATO, but your sensor/float valve will need to be in the return chamber of your sump, and I suggest placing the hose from the ATO pump into your drain section, so the pure RO water has a chance to effectively mix with saltwater before moving into your display tank.