PDA

View Full Version : Pumps! pumps! pumps! OMG!

Lance
01-08-2014, 10:28 PM
We all know the expenses involved in running a reef tank. Usually we complain about the electricity consumption, salt, prices of corals, fish and of course the live rock for start up. But, has anyone realized the money that goes into pumps?
I've kept every receipt from my seven years of reefing. I must admit I'm a bit of a water pump fanatic: always looking for the newer, better pump. I just got a Water Blaster 10,000 and one of the new DC adjustable pumps and after paying my visa bill it made me wonder just how much I've spent over the years on pumps, so I pulled all the receipts and started adding them up:

PUMPS
2x Reeflo
1x Iwaki
6x Mag Drives
1x Quiet One HH
3x Sedra
3x Eheim
1x Speedwave DC
1x Water Blaster

POWERHEADS
4x Vortech MP
8x Tunze Turbelle Stream
6x Hydor Korallia
14x Maxi Jets

TOTAL: $5900. HOLY CRAP! :cry:

And this isn't even counting dosing pumps, aqua lifters, Osmolators, and some skimmer pumps.

After seeing this I was tempted to add up all the receipts over the 7 years, then thought better of it. Probably give myself an aneurysm :mrgreen:

FYI.
The most dependable large pump I've had is the Iwaki 70RLT A real workhorse. I bought it used 7 years ago and it has never given me one problem. Runs my big Beckett skimmer 24/7 Too bad its noisy and inefficient. The best small pump IMO are the Eheims. Pricy, but foolproof.
The best PH's for me are the Vortechs and Tunzes.
Worst pump is the Quiet One HH and worst PH's are the Hydors.

Tom R
01-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Hi Lance

I want you to stay away from any Bridges or Tall Buildings. Spring is not that far away. Anyone who would spend their afternoon figuring out how many pumps they have and their cost must be experiencing a mind bending altered state. I think that you are in need of a little sunshine.

Tom R

Lance
01-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Hi Lance

I want you to stay away from any Bridges or Tall Buildings. Spring is not that far away. Anyone who would spend their afternoon figuring out how many pumps they have and their cost must be experiencing a mind bending altered state. I think that you are in need of a little sunshine.

Tom R

I think you may be right Tom. We only got one week of sunny holiday this year. Probably a vitamin D deficiency. :lol:

mark
01-08-2014, 11:58 PM
sounds like bit of a habit but got to love those Iwakis

titus
01-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Hello

Lance you still have all these pumps with you?

Titus

Leah
01-09-2014, 04:24 AM
Lance....Lance who?

lastlight
01-09-2014, 05:38 AM
it's sir lance-a-lot post-a-little!

good to see you around :biggrin:

Delphinus
01-09-2014, 02:35 PM
I sure hope you don't need a new pump for the shop vac!

Leah
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM
it's sir lance-a-lot post-a-little!

good to see you around :biggrin:

Just spit coffee all over myself and my keyboard, LMAO!!! :biggrin:
Is Comedy a side thing Brett?

Lance
01-10-2014, 02:17 AM
sounds like bit of a habit but got to love those Iwakis

I think I bought that Iwaki from you din't I Mark? Sucker still runs like a clock.

Lance
01-10-2014, 02:26 AM
Hi Leah :wave: Got tired of talking to the Beagle, so I'm back.

Hey Brett. Feeling much better these days.

Just can't let it go can you Tony. Sheesh, a guy makes one.... two..... three little mistakes. She's forgiven me; although I still can't get her to help with tank maintenance.

Lance
01-10-2014, 02:27 AM
Hello

Lance you still have all these pumps with you?

Titus

No. Sold a few and threw out a lot.

asylumdown
01-10-2014, 03:59 AM
If I was showing that list to my partner, the list would indicate that each one cost ten dollars.

Everything in my tank cost ten dollars.

Doug
01-10-2014, 05:12 AM
I agree with the Iwaki durability. May be the best pumps ever made. I use to rum a couple smaller ones. I was reading on RC about Lifereef skimmers, etc and one guy has been running his on an Iwaki for over 10yrs. without a hitch.

I have been thinking about ordering another to replace the Mag 12 that will drive it.

And Im with you. If I added up all I have spent on various pumps I would likely pass out.....:lol:

Aquattro
01-10-2014, 06:37 AM
I ran an Iwaki 70RLT on a huge beckett skimmer I had built. That lasted about 10 minutes before my GF freaked at the noise and threatened my life. Never got to use the skimmer :)

titus
01-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I ran an Iwaki 70RLT on a huge beckett skimmer I had built. That lasted about 10 minutes before my GF freaked at the noise and threatened my life. Never got to use the skimmer :)
ROFLOL.

Titus

mark
01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
The Iwaki was solid, no seals to worry about but was little too loud even with basement sump (could hear through closed door while in basement HT area). Have read about people having in the stand below the tank...

Great it's still going good.

Lance
01-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Yeah they are pretty noisy. Luckily mine is in an area where noise is not an issue.

Aquattro
01-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Yeah they are pretty noisy. Luckily mine is in an area where noise is not an issue.

Mine was 3' from the TV -lol Now that I think about it, it may have been the MD-100RLT model. Very loud..

Ken
01-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Hi Lance greeting from Campbell River, I ran Iwaki both for my ETSS skimmer and return since 2000, never clean them or touched them, maybe I got lucky, Panworld pump is also an Iwaki design apparently. Ken

Lance
01-11-2014, 01:27 AM
Hi Lance greeting from Campbell River, I ran Iwaki both for my ETSS skimmer and return since 2000, never clean them or touched them, maybe I got lucky, Panworld pump is also an Iwaki design apparently. Ken

Hey Ken. greetings from across the pond. I've never owned a Pan World but I hear they are very good as well.

Leah
01-11-2014, 11:37 AM
:wave: Great to see you around...even if we come second to a Beagle....hope all is well with you and your family. How is the tank? And reptillians or whatever they are. :biggrin:

Lance
01-11-2014, 05:53 PM
:wave: Great to see you around...even if we come second to a Beagle....hope all is well with you and your family. How is the tank? And reptillians or whatever they are. :biggrin:

All is well, and the tank is in pretty good shape considering the neglect the last while. The wife's bearded dragon is plump and healthy. :lol: