PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Corals

Madreefer
01-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy, Cyclpeze, phyto......
Why, when , how much, how often and does it actually help? I don't think its necessary but would like to hear from those that think it is.

mrhasan
01-08-2014, 09:43 PM
I fed frozen cyclopeeze to the tank. Fishes would go nut (when I had fishes!) and LPS/gorgs would catch them. I used to target feed acan plus but I got tired of skimmer overflowing so I completely stopped using any powdered/coral specific food.

pinkreef
01-08-2014, 09:56 PM
All the members of my tank like all of the above. If you try one and they eat it then thats great. Why would you not want to feed those foods?

Madreefer
01-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Why would you not want to feed those foods?

Cuz I think fish poop is enough. Sure everything in your tank likes it, but do you think it helps with growth and color? I'm trying to convince myself to feed my corals but would like to see proof that it actually is worth it rather than just add something for no reason.

Aquattro
01-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Cuz I think fish poop is enough. Sure everything in your tank likes it, but do you think it helps with growth and color? I'm trying to convince myself to feed my corals but would like to see proof that it actually is worth it rather than just add something for no reason.

Lemme know when you want to hear from people that think it's a waste of time and money :)

Madreefer
01-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Lemme know when you want to hear from people that think it's a waste of time and money :)

Dude I'm one of those people:lol:
It seems like a lot of people think it's necessary and I'd like to knows why.

jorjef
01-08-2014, 11:18 PM
I target feed pellets to certain LPS that I have. Scollys, lobos, Cynarina, open brains, Duncan's, PBT,. Nothing for any of the euphillia, favia, leathers, etc etc. No SPS in my tank.

reefwars
01-08-2014, 11:19 PM
i know for a fact that feedings can be beneficial , as mentioned not necessary to keep corals alive and healthy but not harmful either if done correctly.

bill have a read its a bit long but it explains alot about the products that are out there and how all corals feed in general:)

http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/nutrition-6/how-corals-feed

cheers

denny

jorjef
01-08-2014, 11:41 PM
I guess I should have answered the other questions.

Why.... I believe for some necessary, some to boost growth.

When... Morning before the lights come on.

How much....Not a lot a few pellets per head or mouth.

How often...Every three or four days or when they are asking. It helps if something is healing.

Aquattro
01-09-2014, 12:54 AM
I believe corals, in aquariums, get enough light that they don't need to be fed. They have no weeks of diminished sun due to clouds, sedimentation, etc like they do in the wild.
I think growth is over rated and patience takes care of that. Don't worry, they'll all get too big soon enough.
I think the potential for polluting the tank is too great to be dumping free floating food into the water column, as I'm sure 80% of it goes uneaten and rots in the tank.
I would agree that certain LPS can benefit from spot feeding IF healing from fragging or other damage, or poor conditions that have been otherwise rectified (bad lights at LFS, etc).
Overall, I have never fed a coral and don't suffer from lack of any of the described benefits of feeding. Great growth, great color and overall thriving.
Based on that, I see no benefit, and a few downsides to feeding. Again, lots of people do with no apparent issues, but I don't think it's optimal for a tank.

There are so many things to manage in a reef, and while lots of things "work", only a few things are optimal. As always, IMO :)

Taipan
01-09-2014, 02:01 AM
There are those that find feeding (LPS in particular) just plain cool. lol I agree with above statements; but I find it a treat not only for the corals per se; but also a treat for me to watch certain corals open up and feed (ie. Scolymia).

From experience; I would argue that some 'slower' growing corals do benefit from the occasional spot feeding (such as acans - in my opinion).

Also; on a slightly different topic - non photosynthetic corals (dendros, rhizos) benefit from the occasional spot feeding as opposed to merely left to fend for their own from broadcast feedings.

While most of this food may go to waste....I think the circle of life takes care of a good portion of it - whether it be fish, clams, starfish, CUC, even algae.....all can have some benefit from it.

P.S. - I freely admit I pollute my tank one in a while with various feedings - whether it be phyto, cylcopeeze, fuel, pellets. This is NOT a regiment for everyone - especially SPS heavy setups, and low nutrient displays such as ZeoVit.

Madreefer
01-09-2014, 02:18 AM
Ok. So another question.
Is there anyone who has fed their corals and stopped? If so did you notice a change in specifically SPS?
I took my filter socks out last feb and I noticed better growth and color. Maybe coincidence I dunno. But it is another source of food (detritus). I'm seriously thinking on feeding Coral Frenzy twice a week for 6 months just to see if there's a change. But yet I don't want to pollute my tank. Thoughts?

IanWR
01-09-2014, 02:35 AM
I recently read this http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/12/aafeature. Although much of the science-y stuff starts to sound like gobbledygook in no time, it's still an interesting read. :)