PDA

View Full Version : To drill or not to drill?

Kmarrs
01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
I recently setup a new 40 gallon tank. I bought it used with a whole pile of equipment but it also came with an extra 20 gallon long that I intended to run as a frag tank. The display tank currently has a "built in" style sump that runs along the back a lot like a red sea max and works quite well. I would like to increase my total tank volume and also have a frag tank running in-line..

My plans are to drill two holes in the bottom of the display tank to create a herbie style overflow. drilling where the return pump currently sits because, there is enough room. I am looking for your opinions on whether or not to drain the entire display or if i could get away with drilling the sump section of the tank while water still sits on the other side. This all makes a pretty big difference on the amount of time it would take me to drain and move livestock versus just drilling and plumbing.

Thanks in advance.

intarsiabox
01-07-2014, 12:26 AM
The bottom panes are often made of tempered glass which shatters when drilled, I would check this first. Other than that if you can get a drill and glass cutter inside it should be fine, just keep the bit well lubricated, go slow when cutting and rinse well when done.

duncangweller
01-07-2014, 12:53 AM
You can always drill a hole in the back pane of glass towards the bottom if the bottom of the tank is tempered as mentioned earlier

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Kmarrs
01-07-2014, 01:00 AM
It is definitely not tempered as the return is drilled through the bottom. Is there any major advantages having the tank drilled on the bottom versus it being on the side. I am really only concerned about the bottom pane having pressure from the water on one side and none on the side I was drilling.
Thanks.

reefwars
01-07-2014, 01:03 AM
It is definitely not tempered as the return is drilled through the bottom. Is there any major advantages having the tank drilled on the bottom versus it being on the side. I am really only concerned about the bottom pane having pressure from the water on one side and none on the side I was drilling.
Thanks.

they drill the holes and any glass work before tempering , doesnt mean its not tempered .

there are ways to tell using polarized glasses;)

cheers

denny

Kmarrs
01-07-2014, 01:14 AM
they drill the holes and any glass work before tempering , doesnt mean its not tempered .

there are ways to tell using polarized glasses

I think I will try to get in touch with the Spencer who I was told built the tank.. Good catch though!