PDA

View Full Version : most tolerable brand of epoxy?

christyf5
01-06-2014, 11:03 PM
note that I didn't say "best" as I dunno if there is really a best one out there. I'm currently using deltec and I am not appreciating it as much as I used to. Its kind of slimy and doesn't actually nail down the frag unless you use a huge ball of it (then again, the rock does have some biologicals on it so maybe thats part of the problem). Also it makes my hands purple.

anyway, I'd post a poll but I'm feeling brain dead and really I don't even know what brands out there anymore. The last time I bought epoxy was 2 years ago (perhaps thats part of the problem as well but I don't ever remember being in love with the deltec stuff, it was just better than other brands I had tried) and I don't even know if Deltec is making it anymore as I ordered a whack of it from OA because Wendell wasn't carrying it at the time and special ordered it for me.

Reef Pilot
01-06-2014, 11:11 PM
I have been using this stuff all along. Does the trick for me...
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/MC-DELEP/Aquascape+Milliput+Epoxy.html

Borderjumper
01-06-2014, 11:24 PM
I use the same stuff as reef pilot, Aquascape Milliput Epoxy.

I always put a big dollap of superglue on both sides of the putty ball.

Kmarrs
01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
I have always had good Results with the Tailored Aquatics Epoxy. The Aquascapes stuff looks interesting though.

lpsreefer
01-06-2014, 11:42 PM
The only one I know that works well, and underwater (noted I mean mixing underwater) is the tunze gum exopy instant. The stuff is amazing!

albert_dao
01-06-2014, 11:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsELQl3tdCE

Jakegr
01-07-2014, 12:05 AM
I have tried TLF, Deltec, Tunze coral fix and coral flex, Vertex and Instant Ocean holdfast over the last year. By far the best is Vertex V-colla. It is also pretty cheap to. Didn't see a major difference between TLF, IO, and Deltec. Tunze coral fix was horrible. It stopped skimmate production for a day and clouded up the water. Tunze coral flex is pretty good, but it costs about twice as much as Vertex v-colla.

Overall, I would say they all suck... But v-colla is the least worst of the group. There is definitely room in the market for a sticky, fast hardening, under water epoxy.

christyf5
01-07-2014, 12:10 AM
turns out I use the aquascape milliput stuff too, I thought the DD part was deltec, I have no idea what it stands for then :razz: regardless, I'm still not a fan. Guess I'll look into the vertex stuff. Me and superglue are like this >< so bad idea there :wink:

sphelps
01-07-2014, 12:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyCpo855vfA

^ Haven't tried this yet but looks interesting.

Currently I use a combination of vertex epoxy and ecotech coral glue and it's been awesome. Night and day compared to my previous methods.

Reef Pilot
01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
turns out I use the aquascape milliput stuff too, I thought the DD part was deltec, I have no idea what it stands for then :razz: regardless, I'm still not a fan. Guess I'll look into the vertex stuff. Me and superglue are like this >< so bad idea there :wink:
The trick with the milliput is to throw it into the microwave for 5 sec or so (depending on size of piece), knead it good, and then apply it underwater immediately afterwards. Mine always sticks real good.

christyf5
01-07-2014, 12:17 AM
The trick with the milliput is to throw it into the microwave for 5 sec or so (depending on size of piece), knead it good, and then apply it underwater immediately afterwards. Mine always sticks real good.

both bits or do I have to mix them first? the green part is horribly hard to mix while the purple is like chewed gum.

Reef Pilot
01-07-2014, 12:20 AM
both bits or do I have to mix them first? the green part is horribly hard to mix while the purple is like chewed gum.
Both together in the microwave, then mix (knead). Softens them up and goes together much easier.

Aquattro
01-07-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm using the Vertex stuff now, although I find it the same as any other I've used. I haven't used one I didn't like. I don't think :)

nerdz
01-07-2014, 02:25 AM
Been using Vertex and find it to be noticeably better then others. Softer and sets up better:lol: and a lighter color

gregzz4
01-07-2014, 02:49 AM
Me and superglue are like this >< so bad idea there :wink:
I'm with ya on that, but I've never liked the 'blend before use' stuff as it turns my skimmer into Ol' Faithful and my equipment always gets covered in a 'goo'

I like Eco Tech Coral Glue

Ron99
01-07-2014, 04:44 PM
I'm with ya on that, but I've never liked the 'blend before use' stuff as it turns my skimmer into Ol' Faithful and my equipment always gets covered in a 'goo'

I like Eco Tech Coral Glue

I've used the Vertex epoxy lately and the skimmer doesn't seem to react to it at all.

mike31154
01-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I've been using ELMER'S Marine Epoxy Putty stick & it works fine. No need to special order or visit LFS for this stuff, it's available at most hardware stores & even discount $$$ stores, usually for $10 or less. Outer part of stick is a greenish colour while the core is white. It mixes up off white, which is fine by me. A little patience & coralline will do the job & make it blend into the surroundings. I would guess most of the epoxy stick formulations 'specifically' made for our hobby are much the same. Epoxy is epoxy, the only thing to watch out for is that some of the sticks made for automotive or certain type of plumbing repairs contain copper or other funky metallic additives not suitable for our tanks. Even so, once the epoxy cures, anything in the mixture is pretty much locked in, forever.

EITI: Ok, so after posting this I watched the YouTube on the Tunze stuff. I guess not all epoxy is created equal, but they did say it costs more.... How much I wonder & is the cost worth it? While features like mixing under water are impressive, is that something I typically do, no. It also doesn't take a lot of effort to dry my hands before mixing my cheap stuff. I suppose if you're doing A LOT of fragging or major rock building, the extra cost may be worth it

gqlmao
01-07-2014, 05:41 PM
I always disliked working with epoxy, I have tried a bunch of them and noticed that they all are very similar. I hate the DD epoxy, it literally turns your skimmer crazy and water murky. The Vertex epoxy is slightly better without the long curing times and microwaving, a big bonus is that it doesn't turn the water murky or mess with the skimmer. I always used super glue gel with epoxy to get the initial mold and allow for curing to occur.

wreck
01-07-2014, 06:48 PM
im currently using fluval epoxy. no complaints.

albert_dao
01-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Epoxy is epoxy

Vertex went through over 70 different compositions before they arrived at the current offering... Sorta like saying a car is a car :P

lastlight
01-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Vertex went through over 70 different compositions before they arrived at the current offering... Sorta like saying a car is a car :P

plus the included gloves keep your hands soft and supple for those promo vids you're famous for.

mike31154
01-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Sure it is. But it also depends on what you're looking to accomplish. A Hyundai will get you to the grocery store and a Ferrari will get you to the grocery store. If money is no object & convenience is at the top of your priority list, then the expensive epoxy is a great way to travel.:wink: Not sure Enzo will give you a free pair of driving gloves with your Ferrari though.

albert_dao
01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Sure it is. But it also depends on what you're looking to accomplish. A Hyundai will get you to the grocery store and a Ferrari will get you to the grocery store. If money is no object & convenience is at the top of your priority list, then the expensive epoxy is a great way to travel.:wink: Not sure Enzo will give you a free pair of driving gloves with your Ferrari though.

... Internet people...

albert_dao
01-07-2014, 09:14 PM
plus the included gloves keep your hands soft and supple for those promo vids you're famous for.

I don't like you anymore Brett. From this point on, I will only refer to you in derogatory fashion. En gaurde!

spit.fire
01-07-2014, 09:22 PM
I like the box

allie_san
01-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm not liking the vertex stuff. It cures quickly.. But way to quick for me.
It smells disgusting too. Think I'm just gonna stick to ecotech and the other brand of epoxy I was using.

sphelps
01-07-2014, 10:41 PM

You're missing the point completely... The Ferrari will get you to that grocery store at least twice as fast and when that drive involves you balancing one footed on a wobbly stool, while reaching shoulder deep into an aquarium attempting to reaming perfectly still, speed becomes very important. That and the fact the Ferrari only costs $2 more makes it the obvious car for the job.

gregzz4
01-07-2014, 11:57 PM
I used Tunze Coral Fix 104.74 and that's the stuff I don't like
I used the green and white stuff from Marineland and it wasn't as messy, but doesn't stick as well. And quite frankly I'm sure it's just the Mighty Putty that Billy Mays used to push

I'll have to give the Vertex V-Colla a try sometime - just so I can get some free gloves :rolleyes:

Coral Hoarder
01-08-2014, 12:01 AM
i use this works best i have used 3 kinds so far http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-acepoxy/Vertex+V-Colla+Coral+Epoxy.html

Ron99
01-08-2014, 12:04 AM
You're missing the point completely... The Ferrari will get you to that grocery store at least twice as fast and when that drive involves you balancing one footed on a wobbly stool, while reaching shoulder deep into an aquarium attempting to reaming perfectly still, speed becomes very important. That and the fact the Ferrari only costs $2 more makes it the obvious car for the job.

+1 on that brother :smile:

Jakegr
01-08-2014, 10:01 PM
I used Tunze Coral Fix 104.74 and that's the stuff I don't like

I have used coral fix as well and agree that it just isn't a good epoxy. I can't stress enough that other hobbyists should stay away from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

christyf5
01-13-2014, 03:21 AM
Ended up buying some of the vertex epoxy. wow that is on my top 5 list of worst smells ever. The gloves were crap and I got some on my hands. I think I've scrubbed my hands like 10x and they still smell awful. Guess I'll have to have some thicker gloves on hand for the next round. As epoxies go, it worked better than the other couple brands I have used. I'd give it two thumbs up but one is pinching my nose shut :razz:

byee
07-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Ended up buying some of the vertex epoxy. wow that is on my top 5 list of worst smells ever. The gloves were crap and I got some on my hands. I think I've scrubbed my hands like 10x and they still smell awful. Guess I'll have to have some thicker gloves on hand for the next round. As epoxies go, it worked better than the other couple brands I have used. I'd give it two thumbs up but one is pinching my nose shut :razz:

I'm in the process of aquascaping with the DD AquaScape Milliput epoxy and not liking the set time.

How quickly does the Vertex epoxy set? Was it difficult getting the smell out of your fingers ?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Reef Pilot
07-10-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm in the process of aquascaping with the DD AquaScape Milliput epoxy and not liking the set time.

Did you put it in the microwave first? That makes it easier to mix and sets faster.

I have been using milliput to place frags for a long time, and works great for me.

byee
07-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

No I did not microwave the epoxy. How quick will it set after its been microwaved?

I'm also looking for opinions between the Vertex and Milliput epoxies for aquascaping.

AquaPin
07-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Switched to Vertex last year and love it. Sets faster, but still ample time to get it molded and set in place before it becomes to hard. Sticks well under water and colour blends well with the rocks. Yep, stinks...but no worse then a dead snail or overdue skimmer clean : )

JmeJReefer
07-10-2014, 08:43 PM
I use the vertex epoxy as well. It has a really quick set time, around the minute mark. And it won't make ur water cloudy or mess with your skimmer. Great stuff. Holds like a mofo too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riceboy
07-10-2014, 09:13 PM
I will never use the vertex one ever again. My skimmer overflowed for a week. It only stopped after I did a water change. I use the redsea stuff from petsmart at 8 dollars best deal and I use the hobby store super glue. Best combo for me so far.

albert_dao
07-10-2014, 11:16 PM
I will never use the vertex one ever again. My skimmer overflowed for a week. It only stopped after I did a water change. I use the redsea stuff from petsmart at 8 dollars best deal and I use the hobby store super glue. Best combo for me so far.

0_____o

Bro..... Having used 15 tubes in a 70 gallon tank one, I find this hard to comprehend unless you didn't thoroughly mix the components. Did the product heat up in your hands while you were mixing it? LMK, this stuff rocks and I'd hate for you to quit on it without having first sorting through the issue!

globaldesigns
07-11-2014, 04:16 AM
I find vertex horrible, it isn't tacky enough and really doesn't hold well. I am on my second tube and find it bad. I really like d&d , very sticky, glues well and is manageable. In future I will be buying d&d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taipan
07-11-2014, 06:35 AM
My rather late 2 cents into this conversation: Alteco Epo Putty (A + B). It comes in a small package of tubes (A + B) and a larger cubic portion of (A + B). Very soft and easy to mould and handle. It also doesn't really stink or give off a strong "epoxy odour".

It can be found at some local hardware stores. It has been used extensively in a lot of documented reef builds on various forums with no adverse effects (aside from the typical extra foaming of skimmers).

reefwars
07-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Vertex all the way :)

Aquattro
07-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Vertex all the way :)

I used to think that, but after using a full tube of that, and a full tube of another brand, I prefer the other brand. Not as slimey, easier to work with and a bit cleaner. I threw the package out, but blahblahblah HoldFast, I think it's called.

Aquattro
07-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I threw the package out, but blahblahblah HoldFast, I think it's called.

No, that's not right. It might be AquaStik Underwater Epoxy

Slick Fork
07-16-2014, 01:51 AM

I had the same issue this weekend. Skimmer is still overflowing from placing frags Friday morning.

Aquattro
07-16-2014, 02:02 AM
I used an entire stick of Vertex, my skimmer did nothing.

Slick Fork
07-16-2014, 03:54 AM
Hmmm,

Maybe I did it wrong. Though I can't see how it could be screwed up, it's just mixing up two parts...

Aquattro
07-16-2014, 04:35 AM
Honestly, my skimmer has never reacted to any type of epoxy. Lots of people report this, so not sure why.

gregzz4
07-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Honestly, my skimmer has never reacted to any type of epoxy. Lots of people report this, so not sure why.
Maybe your success was quick manipulation time underwater
I found when I messed with it too much it just leached everywhere

I used Tunze Coral Fix and not only did it upset my skimmer, the film that floated around coated my pumps and messed up my skimmer cup
I had to remove the crap with some pretty strong cleaner and my cup now has micro cracks
I used the same stuff in a tub to build structures. I ran a powerhead and heater to cure it and not only did it coat the heater, it gummed up the powerhead. Nasty stuff to remove after the fact

I now only use Ecotech Coral Glue for everything, including glueing structures

Aquattro
07-16-2014, 04:59 AM
I now only use Ecotech Coral Glue for everything, including glueing structures

I used this glue the handle back on a coffee cup. I suppose it's good for frags on plugs. Other than that, it would be my least fave option.

The new epoxy I'm using, which I can't exactly remember the name, works great. Just mounted a couple more frags tonight. It was enjoyable -lol

gregzz4
07-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Just mounted a couple more frags tonight. It was enjoyable -lol
One for this broken cup, one for this frag
Another for this broken plate, one for this frag

None for any broken fingers ?

apexifd
07-16-2014, 05:11 AM
The new epoxy I'm using, which I can't exactly remember the name, works great. Just mounted a couple more frags tonight. It was enjoyable -lol

so.. whats the name of this epoxy?

gregzz4
07-16-2014, 05:29 AM
so.. whats the name of this epoxy?
He wrote all this
I used to think that, but after using a full tube of that, and a full tube of another brand, I prefer the other brand. Not as slimey, easier to work with and a bit cleaner. I threw the package out, but blahblahblah HoldFast, I think it's called.

reefwars
07-16-2014, 03:21 PM

Aquaristik? :mrgreen:

christyf5
07-16-2014, 04:34 PM
the two little fishies stuff? I haven't tried that. I won't be buying another stick of the vertex, the smell puts me off too much.

byee
07-23-2014, 06:39 AM
I liked the Vertex better than the DD epoxy - sets faster, better color and easier to portion.

The smell wasn't too bad.......smells like the standard off the shelf 2 part epoxy you buy at the local hardware store.

The only thing I did not like was how both dries onto your hands. I was mixing with gloves on but took them off simply because it was easier to mix.

Just my 2 cents.