PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia

1bigstud
01-06-2014, 03:48 AM
Hello Ive got a 75 gallon reef.
30 gallon sump.
Can anyone recommend a natural remedy to aptasia?
A fish that's reef friendly that will feed on frozen foods as well or perhaps a certain type of snail.
I was thinking about a peppermint shrimp, however I'm concerned that it may turn into an early Easter dinner for my flame hawk.

thanks

Rick.

Slyguy00
01-06-2014, 03:51 AM
Peppermint shrimp have mixed results. Some eat aptasia, some (like mine) ate my red acans and don't touch aptasia. Personally I use aptasia-x and have amazing results. I might have 1-2 aptasia every 3-4 months. However I have heard lots of people say it doesn't work for them. So it would be worth a shot. You can get certain fish that apparently eat them, but they generally eat other things in the tank as well. At least from what I know. Good luck.

PaulCheung
01-06-2014, 03:56 AM
I have just bought aptasia-x a few days ago and used it on my 30 g tank. Got rid of a majority of them so far, still need to look for the left over small ones. I am happy with the result so far.

Rejine
01-06-2014, 04:05 AM
You can try buying a berghia nudibranch I've heard they eat aiptasia and they're reef safe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

darkreef
01-06-2014, 11:31 AM
You can try buying a berghia nudibranch I've heard they eat aiptasia and they're reef safe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

I just bought some they are munchers for sure and breed like crazy .
But once there done you got to get rid of them .:)

HaZRaTTy
01-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Natural Remedy.

Syringe - Boiling/Hot water and Lemon Juice or Vinegar sprayed into the mouth.

dnalamb
01-06-2014, 02:12 PM
I use matted filefish they keep them in check and dont bother anything else. They eat anything offered so you can keep them after the infestation is gone.

ddarkz
01-06-2014, 02:23 PM
aptasia-x is quick and dirty IMO.

Canuckgod420
01-06-2014, 03:29 PM
I put into my tank 6 peppermint shrimp....and waited, and waited. Nothing happened, so while i was researching something else to use i realized that all the aptasia were gone. I guess the shrimp got it done.

canadianbudz604
01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Natural Remedy.

Syringe - Boiling/Hot water and Lemon Juice or Vinegar sprayed into the mouth.

I just wiped out all most all of my aiptasia injecting them with vinegar. Just watch your ph, it may drop, but most likely if U don't use lots of vinegar u won't see any effect on the ph

Borderjumper
01-06-2014, 04:21 PM
I use matted filefish they keep them in check and dont bother anything else. They eat anything offered so you can keep them after the infestation is gone.

I use filefish also. They really did a number on the Aptasia.. But then started nipping some other corals. I would rather have no Aptasia than the few things they nip on! :mrgreen:

TheMikey
01-06-2014, 04:21 PM
I've used peppermint shrimp on two occasions with success. Once, one of them began nipping at a plate coral, so I sold to another reefer with an Aiptasia problem.

Just make sure your LFS is selling you peppermint shrimp. There's another kind of shrimp (similar to a peppermint shrimp) that is commonly sold under that name. To my knowledge, these won't eat aiptasia and are not reef safe.

1bigstud
01-07-2014, 05:23 AM
I like the idea of a peppermint shrimp, however I am concerned that my flame hawk will eat it.

reefermadness
01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Im a berghia fan here.

craigwmiller
01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
I like the idea of a peppermint shrimp, however I am concerned that my flame hawk will eat it.

This is very likely going to be the case :eek: