PDA

View Full Version : Heat Wave--everyone's tank ok?

mr_alberta
07-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, how's everyones tank holding up in this heatwave?

I've been away for the weekend and have come back to see my hammer coral nice and dead and my frogspawns not looking too happy either :sad:

Oddly enough, the monit caps I have look fine as well as the small acro frag...

kuatto
07-19-2004, 07:46 PM
My green brain took a hit from the heat,hopefully it'll recover now I got the temp back to normal.

Beverly
07-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Two words: Air Conditioning :mrgreen: All's cool at our place :cool:

Richer
07-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Two words: Air Conditioning :mrgreen: All's cool at our place :cool:

Same here :biggrin: . My heater actually has to turn on to keep my temps at 80F. :razz:

-Richer

Stretch
07-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Tank peaked at 89 degrees I have cut back my MH to 6 hours at day, Now before the Mh go on the tank is a 80 degrees. My coral some have browned :( but i have the temp under control now........

sleeman
07-20-2004, 02:10 AM
I'm hitting about 86 -87 by the end of the light cycle. No ill effects. Coral and fish are good. My problem algae seems to be slowing down because of it though :smile:
My tank is built in to the wall, and I only have one fan venting into the basement. SO I am getting what I deserve.

Cheers,

Al

Beverly
07-20-2004, 03:09 AM
The hotter the water, the less O2 it holds. Increasing aeration will help a bit.

Pisces
07-20-2004, 06:58 PM
My tank got as high as 86-87.....yikes! :eek:

Got it down to 84 last night, we'll see how it is when I get home today. Hardly turn my MH's on at all.....so my anemone is on the move and not expanding like usuall, so I hope it'll be ok. :sad: I'm putting the light on for an hour or two at night now... and a fan going all the time.

Hope it doesn't get too hot today!

Keen
07-22-2004, 09:09 PM
my tank has hit 84-85, with the only death being a new pulsing xenia frag i got. other than that. i had one other coral alomost completely die on me, but there was a small corner or it left, and now it is quickly healing back to normal. hopefully it gets back to the state it was before. i have found the best way to cool the tank is to use a standing fan to blow air over the top of the tank, since that is such a large surface area.

Quinn
07-22-2004, 09:14 PM
My tank used to hit 84F even in the winter. I think the bigger problem is rapid and significant temperature change, rather than simply high temperature. I believe Steve in Victoria even had his tank hit 90F last year, with no real ill effects. Just a thought.

Canadian Man
07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
It's funny how some tanks are affected and some are not.

My tank consistantly hit 85 for the few hot days we had and nothing looked like it was bother one bit.

I suppose I should say my normal temp is 80.

Jedi68
07-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Could not convince my wife on spending $$$ on a chiller, but I got approval for a portable A/C. It sits in my family room and keeping everyone (incl corals and dog) very happy. My tank's temp still climbs up to 83 from 80.

Bob I
07-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Ahhh the joys of a split level condo. My tanks are lit with MH bulbs in pendants. There is also a six inch fan blowing across the tops. The temperature holds steady at 77.5 degrees and the heaters still come on at night. :eek:

roverT
07-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Last year my tank was always at about 90+ in the summer and I had no deaths, since have moved to a different room and it doesen't go any higher than about 83

clowntrigger
07-23-2004, 05:09 AM
well my reef hit a whopping 91.6 last week, i lost 3 corals , 1 large colt(i just flushed it this morning in was all falling apart and roting)a large finger tree ( i think that what is was called, it now laying down in the sand, kinda like what happen when the light go off, but since then it has not come back to life when light back on)and the 3rd was heck ? a (it too looks very sad it fell of the rock it was atached too and is now just sitting in the sand looking......welllike road kill )

the tank went that high cause i guess the fan was turned off that was blowing on the tank, losing all them corals is a huge loss for my tank, but on a good note i guess there where no fish losess.any adice on what i should do would be great

ps sorry for the bad grammer and such but i think i am typing this in my sleep