PDA

View Full Version : Carpet anenome

Chase31
01-06-2014, 02:23 AM
So after much hmmmming and hawing and the lfs having a really nice healthy nem for 2 months or so now I made the purchase. I had a LTA before and my clowns didn't host it and wasn't really the look or color I want for my tank. So as my levels have been saying nice for the past two months and everything's starting to go well. I would like to know forsure what species it is, following are some pics, it's only been in the tank for 4-5 hours. Do the carpets generally like the sand or rock? It moved it self off the sand onto this rock and it's mouth is open. What do you guys think. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/06/sequmaje.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/06/y2ygyvah.jpg

Delphinus
01-06-2014, 02:37 AM
Stichodactyla haddoni.

It should eventually close its mouth more for you, if it's newly introduced they do sometimes hold their mouth open (makes for better respiration). Prolonged gaping can be a sign of stress but S. haddoni is perhaps one of the more resilient carpets so should be OK.

Two things to watch out for - they are very sticky, anyone who blunders into it usually ends up being a meal. The other thing is they can get kinda large. I eventually had to give mine up because it was close to 24" in diameter and it was giving a new definition to the phrase "wall to wall carpet". :)

Good luck! So far it looks great. It will be interesting to see how it settles in for you.

Chase31
01-06-2014, 03:09 AM
That answer is very encouraging, I did not realize this was the easiest one to keep. I'm really hoping my clowns take to it soon, if not I'll have to try to use the picture thing. I know it will move on it's own but do they prefer the sand?

Taipan
01-06-2014, 03:14 AM
+1 to everything Delphinus said. Haddonis typically like sand and will bury themselves deep in a comfortable spot. You'll find in time; the carpet you have should colour up nicely. Good luck.

Chase31
01-06-2014, 03:14 AM
Mouth looks a little bit more closed, will see what happens tommorow!

brotherd
01-06-2014, 03:16 AM
I have a new one in my tank as well. It dug in about 6 inches from where I put it. It's half on the sand, half on the rock and hasn't moved from that spot. The foot is seemingly stuck to the bottom glass underneath.

Chase31
01-06-2014, 03:36 AM
Mine so far has attached it self to that rock, I would like it more on the sand, I know it won't stay there tho. It's very close to where my LTA sat tho

Delphinus
01-06-2014, 03:38 AM
Sorry I forgot about your question about the sand. In all honesty it will kinda go where it wants to anyhow but IME mine did prefer to hang out near the rock/sand interface. Actually now that I think about it, he attached to the bottom glass near a rock stand and dug the sand out of the way to do so.

If memory serves, sometimes when they are small (like <8" or thereabouts) they sometimes hang out higher up on rockwork but they eventually migrate down as they get bigger.

Chase31
01-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Mine looks to be about hand width, not going to check cuz I heard these are bad for stings and it's really sticky. After the movie lights are out. Hasn't moved but appears to be more "open". mouth looks open still will update in the morning

Magickiwi
01-06-2014, 01:55 PM
As long as it hasn't turned itself inside out, which sometimes they look like they are ready to do, it is fine. They wander until they find the best spot for them, it may take a few days to pick a spot but once settled in it should stay put until something changes.

Mine is on the rock/sand transition facing up into one of my MH lights.

You more than likely won't get your clown fish to use it as a host, there are actually very few that will use a Haddon's carpet. I tried Ocellaris, Pink Skunks and finally an Allardi's clown which did end up using the Haddon's. The only ones that will use the Haddon's in the wild are clowns from the Clarkii complex and even then it's not a sure thing. You're better off getting a BTA since that is the closest thing to a "universal" host if you have hopes of getting your clowns to live in a nem.

ddarkz
01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Depends on how big your tank is, they will grow quite the size after awhile, I have a green one and it has been expanding from time to time, my clowns never host on these carpets for some reason. you also want to watch out for the other fish as these carpets are very sticky once they touch it, mine ate alot things around the tank (crabs, small lobster, smaller fishes)

I have tried to get rid of mine but it sticks into the sand very deep, makes it nearly impossible to move out.

when mine opens up fully, its around 14" diameter, so might want to watch out if its taking too much space in your tank.

Chase31
01-06-2014, 05:48 PM
So far it's a good size, looks like this this morning not aure if this is it trying to close itself but in the folds ic dan can kinda see the mouth still open I think. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/py6ejume.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/qanehu5u.jpg

Magickiwi
01-06-2014, 06:34 PM
It's perfectly normal for it to fold up that way. It's one of the reasons a nickname for it is a saddleback anemone. Don't worry too much about it, as long as your tank is in good condition it will find where it wants to be. It is pretty much a centerpiece for your aquarium so expect to have to adjust and build around it vs. forcing it to be where you want.

Chase31
01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Iike the way it looks all folded into the rocks, would just like to see it's mouth more

Delphinus
01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
As it gets settled it should relax more and lay out more flat.

Chase31
01-06-2014, 09:04 PM
I figured it would need 2-3 days before it even tried to move!

Chase31
01-12-2014, 05:30 PM
So trying to get my clowns to host this anemone and I figured why not try the picture trick? So Iv put 3 pictures on my tank 2 of them a green carpet and one is a white carpet. I can't find any pics of clowns in a hadoni well not many. So what I'm wondering is does anyone have any? Would appreciate it.

Flame Angel
01-14-2014, 10:49 PM
In the wild,carpet anemones are hosts to Perculas but since majority of Percula clowns this days are aquacultured,they rarely go to carpets for their natural symbiotic relationship.

Delphinus
01-15-2014, 03:40 AM
Actually not quite. Perculas and ocellaris will naturally host in gigantea and mertensii carpets but not haddoni.

In captivity all bets are off. Especially with captive bred clownfish.

More than likely they will eventually discover the carpet. It could take them a while.

In actual fact it's probably a good thing it is going slowly, if they go into it too soon without the slime coat ready the carpet can eat them. Haddoni's are very sticky and robust eaters.

My first ocellaris pair took something like 2 months to discover their anemone...

Chase31
01-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Yea basically from my journey what I have found out is any clown will jump right into it's natural host I.e. Occilaris into gigantica and cinnamon into bubbletips. I got a set of clarkii's (tank bred) in trade of my occilaris and plopped them in the tank. Went for dinner (8:00 left 11:00 home) when we left they went and hid under a rock. Now that I'm home and the lights are off they are both sleeping in it! Almost instantly. So if you want a forsure host. Get the natural match

Flame Angel
01-15-2014, 12:06 PM
This article may clear the issue about Clowns and Anemone Compatibilty:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Clown_anemone/Clown_anemone.htm

Delphinus
01-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Great article, thanks.

The only point I would add though is that in captivity, "all bets are off." Ie., just because a pairing doesn't occur in nature (eg. ocellaris and haddoni) doesn't mean it won't happen in an aquarium (for that matter, it doesn't mean it will, either).

Flame Angel
01-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Great article, thanks.

The only point I would add though is that in captivity, "all bets are off." Ie., just because a pairing doesn't occur in nature (eg. ocellaris and haddoni) doesn't mean it won't happen in an aquarium (for that matter, it doesn't mean it will, either).Ultimately the aquacultured pair of Ocellaris will find it's anemone.

Magickiwi
01-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Great article, thanks.

The only point I would add though is that in captivity, "all bets are off." Ie., just because a pairing doesn't occur in nature (eg. ocellaris and haddoni) doesn't mean it won't happen in an aquarium (for that matter, it doesn't mean it will, either).

+1 There's probably hundreds of variables in whether or not a clown will bond with an anemone and in the home aquarium we don't always have those covered over. Not the least of which is the personal disposition of the clowns.

Chase31
01-15-2014, 06:54 PM
I heard if you toss a lionfish in the tank they'll take to most anemones haha. But anyways my clarkii's to right to it now what I'm worried about is the clarkii's pairing. One spends all it's time in the anemone And the other one seams to swim a little farther and haven't seen it in it yet (besides last night when it was in the underside fold to sleep)

CM125
01-16-2014, 09:02 PM
I heard if you toss a lionfish in the tank they'll take to most anemones haha. But anyways my clarkii's to right to it now what I'm worried about is the clarkii's pairing. One spends all it's time in the anemone And the other one seams to swim a little farther and haven't seen it in it yet (besides last night when it was in the underside fold to sleep)

Sounds like they are on their way, they can take quite a long time to completely pair, even once paired some females wont allow the male in with them.

Chase31
01-16-2014, 09:11 PM
I think it's pretty obvious what one is going to be the female. It's already taken the anemone as it's own. The male sleeps in a fold on the under side haha pretty funny how he does

Chase31
01-18-2014, 01:51 AM
So it hasent been liking the shrimp I try to feed it so I went and got some silversides. It took it right into its mouth. And a few hours later spit it out. Do I need to remove the skin?

Flame Angel
01-18-2014, 02:01 AM
So it hasent been liking the shrimp I try to feed it so I went and got some silversides. It took it right into its mouth. And a few hours later spit it out. Do I need to remove the skin?Try giving it the shrimp that's half cook,no head,tail and skin like I do.

Chase31
01-18-2014, 02:06 AM
Half cooked? I was giving it raw and it never even gets to it's mouth. The silverside got gobbled right up

Delphinus
01-18-2014, 02:17 AM
Probably too much food, try smaller pieces maybe.

Flame Angel
01-18-2014, 02:21 AM
I use a 30" tong that I bought at Dollarama for $2 everytime I feed my anemone.I place the half cook shrimp or scallop at the very tip of the tong and place it directly to its mouth....my hand never even gets wet.

EmilyB
01-18-2014, 02:57 AM
Fish is the appropriate food for the haddoni carpet. I thought the same thing as Tony, likely a smaller piece to start with.

Flame Angel
01-18-2014, 03:49 AM
Haddoni or Gigantea will eat even your finger if you put it in its mouth.

Taipan
01-18-2014, 04:39 AM
Take your time. You've had the anemone for a few weeks. If it doesn't want to accept food; I would not worry. Most of the nutrients will find its way to your anemone via either photosynthetic activity and/or the water column.

In theory; you shouldn't have to feed a carpet. Feeding it is cool and is a treat for both the anemone and its owner. It will accept food when its ready. Feedings can range from once a week to once a month.

Traditionally I've fed small bits of raw shrimp (remove the shell) or scallops. I've always been concerned with bones from silversides or other fish. My rationale is to mitigate the risk of bone puncture.

EmilyB
01-18-2014, 04:44 AM
Don't put your fingers in your anemone. It will remove nematocysts.

Flame Angel
01-18-2014, 06:25 AM
Take your time. You've had the anemone for a few weeks. If it doesn't want to accept food; I would not worry. Most of the nutrients will find its way to your anemone via either photosynthetic activity and/or the water column.

In theory; you shouldn't have to feed a carpet. Feeding it is cool and is a treat for both the anemone and its owner. It will accept food when its ready. Feedings can range from once a week to once a month.

Traditionally I've fed small bits of raw shrimp (remove the shell) or scallops. I've always been concerned with bones from silversides or other fish. My rationale is to mitigate the risk of bone puncture.+10,just like the article I posted said.Taipan,hope your corals are back on it's home and no loses.

BlueTang<3
01-18-2014, 02:24 PM
I had lost a anemone before and upon more research on reef central they hard core carpet guys say never ever feed silversides, there too dirty/ contaminated of a food source for them. I only feed mine supra krill when I feel like it. My carpets are up to 18 inches depending on the day and I feed them broken pieces of krill.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh619/dukeandotis/c762dd38b32bdb2fb3727810c76b30b9_zps06a1e9c7.jpg

Flame Angel
01-18-2014, 06:14 PM
I had lost a anemone before and upon more research on reef central they hard core carpet guys say never ever feed silversides, there too dirty/ contaminated of a food source for them. I only feed mine supra krill when I feel like it. My carpets are up to 18 inches depending on the day and I feed them broken pieces of krill.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh619/dukeandotis/c762dd38b32bdb2fb3727810c76b30b9_zps06a1e9c7.jpgMa n,that looks like Chinese Shrimp Congee.

Chase31
01-19-2014, 10:17 PM
where do you get that Wes? Silversides could kill my carpet?

BlueTang<3
01-19-2014, 10:30 PM
where do you get that Wes? Silversides could kill my carpet?

That what I was told

I buy the krill by bulk I am actually selling bags 300 grams $10

Magickiwi
01-19-2014, 10:40 PM
I feed silver sides, uncooked/unpeeled shrimp and my carpet gobbles them like popcorn. Never had a regurg and it's growing like a weed. I figure in the wild they will grab anything that gets close enough so I feed a variety.

Flame Angel
01-19-2014, 11:58 PM
I feed silver sides, uncooked/unpeeled shrimp and my carpet gobbles them like popcorn. Never had a regurg and it's growing like a weed. I figure in the wild they will grab anything that gets close enough so I feed a variety.I'll try T-Bone Stake next time I feed my Haddoni.Lol

Chase31
01-20-2014, 01:33 AM
Haha I would go with a prime rib. They tent to stick up their noses at lower quality cuts ;)