PDA

View Full Version : 54g corner stocking help

Wretch
01-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Just setting up a 54g corner tank and trying to make up my stocking list. The tank will be mostly Lps and a little sps. I am trying to get as much colour and diversity in the fish as possible.

Ocellaris clown
Starki damsel
Goby/pistol shrimp pair
Dwarf angel(coral beauty or potters)
Royal gramma

Any other suggestions that would add colour/variety would be great. Thanks

Simmy
01-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I believe the Dwarf Angel may nip at your corals, but they are beautiful!!! They usually come with a Reef "with caution" warning. Good luck! Maybe add a Fairy Wrasse to the list! :)

Madreefer
01-06-2014, 07:13 PM
I'd skip the damsel and the gramma. Kind of aggresive

Seriak
01-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Really,

I love my pair of grammas. No aggression shown ever.

Wretch
01-06-2014, 07:25 PM
I believe the Dwarf Angel may nip at your corals, but they are beautiful!!! They usually come with a Reef "with caution" warning. Good luck! Maybe add a Fairy Wrasse to the list! :)

I did think about a melanurus wrasse or a four spot yellow coris wrasse or both but wasn't sure they would do well around shrimp.

I was looking at a black cap basslet but the price was making me think it might not be one of the best beginner fish.

As for the damsel I was looking for a blue fish and it was supposed to be a more peaceful damsel but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Skimmer Juice
01-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Tail spot blenny

Barnacle Blenny

Simmy
01-07-2014, 03:46 AM

I didn't think royal grammas were too aggressive? Now a royal dottyback....I just got rid of one because he was chasing everything!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Simmy
01-07-2014, 03:48 AM
I have a 4spot yellow coris in my tank and he hasn't gone after my 5 shrimp. 2 cleaners, 2 PEPs and a fire shrimp.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dearth
01-07-2014, 05:51 AM
It is a hit and miss with the Dottybacks and Damsel fish the vast majority are territorial and can be very mean to tank mates yet there are ones that are known to be nasty tank mates that in your tank could be the perfectly behaved fish. Basically stock at your own risk with Dotty's or Damsels

Have you considered cardinal fish or any of the fairy wrasses?

Wretch
01-07-2014, 04:09 PM
It is a hit and miss with the Dottybacks and Damsel fish the vast majority are territorial and can be very mean to tank mates yet there are ones that are known to be nasty tank mates that in your tank could be the perfectly behaved fish. Basically stock at your own risk with Dotty's or Damsels

Have you considered cardinal fish or any of the fairy wrasses?

I looked at cardinals but I can't say they were my favourite fish. As for the fairy wrasse it seems all the ones I liked are not in a price range I find reasonable.

albert_dao
01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Starki damsels rank right at the bottom of the aggression scale so far as damsels go. Great fish as a last addition, IMO.

Grammas should be non-interactive/aggressive. There might be one rogue @$$hole out of a thousand, but hardly the rule.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Look at dwarf/dwarf angels. My favourite is the Cherub. Completely reef safe with softies, lps, sps, clams and shrimp IME. However, they have very similar colours and pattern as Starki damsels so choose one or the other, I think.

Grammas are fine if a little delicate for the first couple of weeks.

Wretch
01-07-2014, 10:58 PM
I know you can have multiple dwarf angels in the same tank but is a 54g corner too small for two dwarf angels? So hard to to just pick one.

tang daddy
01-09-2014, 02:07 PM
cardinals are cool, flasher wrasse or any other type of wrasse may jump.... some of the wrasses get aggressive once they exceed 4" like a melanurus or even fairy wrasses and appreciate the extra room.

royal gammas are one of my favourite they can be territorial but not to the extent of killing fish.

gobies are very nice addition as they reside lower down.

if I were you I would stick with smaller fish and have a bunch.

I really like a school of purple and red white fire fish as they ususally stick together and are super friendly.

skip the angel as they tend to bully every other fish, a tang will be too big for the tank but if youre able to afford a small one. JL has an awesome tiny chevron which is pretty neat about 2" and could safely live in your tank for a couple years before rehoming it.

bangaii cardinals, striped cardinals and even blue eyed make a nice hardy addition.

If I were you I would read up on marine reef fish, theres a book with every type of fish in there and I have read it over about 5 times.

make a fish list of what you like from there and then post it on here and we would be able to narrow your fish suggestions down and give you good tips.

I also like long nose hawk fish.

be aware that if you decide doing the wrasse species you should have a mesh net over your tank or end up with dried anchovies.

Cujo#31
01-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Amen to tqhe anchovie thing Chris. Left the top open after feeding and out he came. I found him.....ALMOST revived him, but sadly t was too late for the little guy. Finally accepted his fate after an hour of attempting to revive.......crap!!!!!!

Wretch
01-12-2014, 12:47 AM
I think I have settled finally on these fish:

Blue & Gold Blenny
Royal Gramma
Ocellaris Clown
Four Spot Yellow Coris Wrasse
Starcki Damsel
Coral Beauty

What do you think?