PDA

View Full Version : Killing aptasia with vinegar

canadianbudz604
01-04-2014, 01:01 AM
It works! I had around 10 in my tank, (29g mixed reef). The smaller ones have been getting eaten by peppermint shrimp, but they don't touch the big ones. So I took a syringe, filled it with pure white vinegar and then dipped the tip of the needle into a cube of mysis shrimp and got all them bastards. They melted away within an hour. I think the success was using the Mysis on the tip because they thought it was food. I've been keeping my eye on the ph, but it hasn't seem to have any effect on my tank. I may have used around 2mls of vinegar all together. Anyone else used vinegar successfully?

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Vinegar works fine. ..I use muriatic acid in a syringe right into the aptasia maybe a drop or 2 and the aptasia releases from the rock into the garbage can:biggrin:
Using acid base liquid of any type you just have to be carefull with your PH readout.

Ron99
01-04-2014, 04:13 PM
A few mls of vinegar or acid in a larger tank shouldn't have an effect Alkalinity is a measure of water's buffering ability and our water can buffer that to a certain extant.I would be more careful in a small system but then you can just ad a little buffer or baking soda to compensate.