PDA

View Full Version : Crabs part of your CUC?

craigwmiller
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Hermit and/or Emerald?

Do you trust them??

Do you have them? If not, what is your CUC made up of?

I'm having what looks to be eaten/picked/etc SPS, which I'm trying to identify the source, and I do have many crabs. I also had a Clown Goby, but he's out already ;). I did catch one emerald sitting on an acro this morning and pulled him out of the tank, but there are a few more in there yet.

Dez
01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
I trust emeralds as much as I trust you Craig (and that's not being sarcastic). I have a few in my tank and they are great. Hermits I'm not so much of a fan of cause I hate empty shells lying around in the tank and you need em for them to grow.

LoJack
01-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Yup, I have a few blue legs, a few scarlets and one emerald

I've found my emerald crab in my SPS colonies at night. But I always watch for signs of stress from the coral the following day, and he doesn't appear to be eating polyps.

My only issue with hermits is that they knock things over, and kill of snails whenever they feel like it.

I believe whole heartedly that hermits are great detrivores, just a problem with unattached corals and snails lol

craigwmiller
01-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Hmm, well that's reasonably assuring. Though I may have overdone it... 5 emeralds & ~30 hermits. There is no algae (except a few bubbles - where there were dozens and dozens of bubbles a few weeks ago -- when I got the extra 3 emeralds), so maybe they are hungry and turning aggressive?

I've already taken 1 emerald and 18 hermits out this morning into my WC tank... I might not need my tank quite so clean ;)

....I may have overdone it on the snail front too.......

Coralgurl
01-03-2014, 05:40 PM
I have both snails and hermits in my display, but thinking of adding a few to my sump....not much filtering happening lately, could use a CUC to clean it up...

Magickiwi
01-03-2014, 06:15 PM
I have blue, red, and yellow legged hermits in my display. I love having them there because it reminds me of most of the ocean beaches I've been to. I also have snails and as my signature suggests it can be a little irritating to have to constantly refresh them as the hermits grow. I also have three emerald crabs that have snail eggs on their back so obviously they aren't too worried about each other.

Proteus
01-03-2014, 06:21 PM
I have emeralds and hermits. No issues. Occasionally . Find emeralds in the acros but dont seem to harm.
I would betits all from the gobie and u just need time to heal

craigwmiller
01-03-2014, 06:23 PM
That's my hope for sure!! I'm just going to be extra cautious for a while :)

Proteus
01-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Lol. I was dumb enough to believe that citrus gobies were safe until it killed a ,efflo and a red planet

craigwmiller
01-03-2014, 07:14 PM
He was so cute though LOL

Simmy
01-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I added about 20 snails last week from JL boxing day and my glass is looking nice after 1 week! I used to always have algae/detrius build up in the bottom of my tank just above the sand where I can't use the magfloat to scrub for fear of catching sand between the mag and scratching my glass. I looked last night and the build-up that used to be above the sand is gone! I added Nassarius and Cerith snails.

ReefHero
01-03-2014, 08:29 PM
I will never put another crab of any sort in my tank again.... Same goes for clown gobys....funny thing about the clown gobies is that liveaquaria lists them as reef safe but when you scroll down and read about them, it says they are known to hover in acros and pick at its polyps.....hmmmm....reef safe eh?

I have some bristle worms in my tank and they are 10x better and safer scavengers than any hermit crab.... If you got bubble algae then get a foxface or naso tang.... Waaaaaay better IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ReefHero
01-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I added about 20 snails last week from JL boxing day and my glass is looking nice after 1 week! I used to always have algae/detrius build up in the bottom of my tank just above the sand where I can't use the magfloat to scrub for fear of catching sand between the mag and scratching my glass. I looked last night and the build-up that used to be above the sand is gone! I added Nassarius and Cerith snails.

+1 can't go wrong with those guys..... Great snails!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jason604
01-03-2014, 10:55 PM
i got a GIANT red scarlet crab that took a 3' snail shell i put in for display and grew to fit it. he knocks over everything in my tank thats not super glued or epoxyed down n always manage to somehow turn into spider man and reach my frag rack n knock them all down.. i rly wanna kill him lol